1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alcon Charger Problems with J1772 charge station

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by SteveWlf, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finished my Plug-in Supply DIY conversion a couple weeks ago. The conversion works great but I have only had us of it for a few drives since the Elcon chargers have only lasted for a couple charges at the most.

I returned the first (PFC1500) without knowing what had caused the problem and upgraded to the PFC2500. Only got one charge and it started throwing fault codes (which I have trouble interputing). Charger supplier is complaining that it must be the DIY installer. ME and another DIY guy with the same setup.

Robb, from Plug-in Supply have explored the possibilities of a conversion installation error but there just isn't any problem there.

Then I pointed out that the Level2 J1772 power to the charger has a AC ground connection that is installation instruction and ground fault system requires be vehicle chassis grounded. Since both of these chargers have an automatic input power voltage sense system, there in my lie the problem. According to Robb, this AC grounding of the chassis could be causing charge controller problems as well as BMS problem.

I already know that the power interconnect interface, from ModularEVpower, absolutely won't enable the control station at my home or public station without passing a ground fault check.
    I know there or old work around or Spoofs but I already have the module that meets the SAE standards.

Here is the "require" hookup of this module. Can someone see a way to make it work with out connecting the AC ground to the chassis.

Thanks, Steve

J1772 AVC2 hookup002.jpg

2. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have heard from Robb at Plug-in Supply that others with the EVSE J1772 charge set up and are "Floating the Ground". I know, in my experience with boats, the AC ground from shore power is floated and never inter connected with the vessel DC systems. But I have never had to deal with equipment interfaces that seem to Absolutely require a Chassis ground of the AC.
    Still looking for tips on how to do this, safely and still be able to pass the ground fault sense of the interconnection.

Steve

3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just another question on this interlock or handshake of the J1772 connector with the vehicle.

Before I found and purchased the AVC2 from ModularEVpower I had come across a couple posts and diagrams of a method to Spoof the EVSE contactor with a couple resistors and a diode on the vehicle side of the connection. These being between the Pilot and the Proximity connection pins.

I have lost my browser history and bookmarks so I haven't been able to go back and look at this as solution.

If anyone knows of this method, your directions would be appreciated.

Thank,

Steve