1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AlGore pays himself to save the planet!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Devil's Advocate, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://newsbusters.org/node/11149

So it must be OK for AlGore to have conflicts of interest between his business and governmental activities.
    If you are a liberal doing what's best for everyone you too can advocate the government take positions that will make you tons of cash.

If the libs are going to lambaste the conservatives for ties to "Big" oil, (oil, which keeps billions of people from dying of starvation and inclement weather every day), why don't they chastize AlGore for his global warming profitiering.

Also, if you read all the article and related links, you will see that AlGore OWNS the company which he buys carbon offsets from! So he is paying HIMSELF!!!! and probaly taking a big tax cut along the way to!

PS. the profitieering complaint is a completely seperate issue from this groups belief that if there is global warming that it is just part of a natural cycle.

2. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From a completely unbiased source (the link that is). :wacko:

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]399284[/snapback]</div>
    This is what astounds me, this idea that global warming is JUST a natural cycle, and so there's no point getting hot and bothered by it.

Tornados, earthquake, typhoon, hurricane, volcanos, flood, avalanche - all these are JUST natural cycles too, and we get hot and bothered by them so much we take steps to alleviate their horrendous effects. Not always successfully, but we sure as hell don't shrug our shoulders and take them full in the face without preparation or defense.

Getting struck be a ten mile wide meteorite is just a natural cycle too, and such a strike would be fatal for most life on the planet more advanced than moss and insects. Should we shrug our shoulders at the possibility and do nothing? Thankfully this likelihood is getting some attention paid to it (and could use more).

"Just" a natural cycle or not, global warming is an incontestable, established fact, and shrugging our shoulders at it and doing nothing because it's "just" a natural cycle is about the stupidest reaction to it imaginable.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Mar 2 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]399299[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, didn't say it was an unbiased source;

but are the facts correct? Is AlGore paying himself for his carbon offsets? You bet he is!
    Does AlGore have a pecuinary interest in the governmental actions he is advocating! Yes.

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]399326[/snapback]</div>
    The article is totally biased, btw. However, on the topic:

Capitalism, baby. And smart.

I recently invested a few thousand dollars (not a lot, mind you) in a company that builds residential solar panels. Why did I do it?
    1--Because I see a huge upswing in their profitability over the next ten years, especially in states like California that are mandating new houses be built with solar as an option.
    2--To help provide capital to continue the company growth because I believe in what they're doing.

I imagine Gore saw a financial opportunity and has capitalized on it. Sounds like he's both trying to turn a profit and help provide capital for future growth, thus supporting his original intent of environmental conservation.

They always say "Do what you love. The money will follow."

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gee....is Al Gore running for President again and I missed it?

And how many carbon offsets does the average person buy? How many solar panels has the average person installed. How much does the average person recycle. Is the average person's carbon footprint neutral?

If you could kill Al Gore tomorrow....would that suddenly make Global Warming go away?

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True to your name the Devil's Advocate stands in the way of progress.... There is a reason it is considered such a nasty term in productive group work. ;)

You also might want to research the food industry a bit more. Big Oil contributes to greater polution and degredation of landscapes, severe obesity epidemics which cost us over 90billion alone in health care. So be careful how much you praise big oil for "saving us from starvation". :)

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]399284[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: OMG! :lol: :lol:

Who gives a hoot about carbon credits! You either put the junk into the air or you don’t but purchasing carbon credits is like buying indulgencies! Geeeeeeeez! This is got to hurt the GW cause no matter how it is spun.

Wildkow

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe Al looks at it this way:
    Slightly less than half of the American people are not smart enough to realize all the damage they have done and continue to do. And I'm not just talking about voting for and supporting Bush.

Because their actions are ringing in a period that will be ripe with war, famine, grief, drought, and overpopulation, he might as well stockpile a ton of cash.

This past week, I moved a sum of money into financial investments that support the generation of renewable energy, alternative fuels, and other "green" initiatives. Like all investments, I hope to make money on the deal. I did this not because I anticipate a personal incongruence between philosophical ideals and financial greed but rather because I want to make sure the money I earn comes from beneficial endeavors as opposed to investing in Exxon, Mobile, Chevron, Haliburton, and the likes.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

It's not like Cheney doesn't have any vested monetary interest in making sure we occupy Iraq for a good long time... NOT! Talk about a conflict in interest! All we have is his word that he donate his stock options to charity, and we know what Cheney's word is worth. Why doesn't he go ahead and donate them now?

EDITED to add the following:
    -----
    | Furthermore, Cheney stands to profit from increased inflation and devaluation of the dollar against foreign currency.
    |
    | Funny thing is, what you are calling a "conflict of interest" perpetrated by Gore is actually in the best interest of the country. The above conflicts of
    | interest that Cheney is guilty of are in the worst interest of the country. How's that for a conflict! Cheney pays himself to destroy the U.S.!
    -----
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Mar 3 2007, 05:52 AM) [snapback]399467[/snapback]</div>
    I invested in a solar company a couple of months ago and have seen my profits shoot up 25% since then, even after that nasty correction last week.

11. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not criticizing AlGore for making a buck, I'm all for making a buck, but the hypocrisy surrounding his advocating for government involvement and his pecuniary interest and the lack of the same outrage levied against conservative pecuniary interests in business that benefit from government involvement.

Just because you agree with what he is doing, doesn’t mean you should over look his monetary gain, unless you are a hypocrite. If so at least say, "I am not going to say bad things about AlGore making a buck off of his governmental involvement because I believe in what he is doing!" then at least you're not a hypocrite.

And F8L: What progress am I in the way of? I didn't say AlGore shouldn't make a buck, I just implied that conservatives shouldn't be criticized for the same thing, just because YOU don't believe how they are making that buck. Also, its not "Big Oils" fault were a nation of eat till we die big fat pigs! (a little sarcasm there) America worked hard to create a country where its citizens don't have to fear where their next meal comes from, a rarity in the world. Those who strove for this gave us a great gift, and of course we added a side of fries and a milkshake to it, true.

The true culprit though is the liberal "victim" mentality which allows individuals to pass the blame for their conditions on to someone else instead if taking personal responsibility and saying, "hey, I'm a big fat pig because I ate to much!". No, instead we get, TV makes me a sloth, they put top much fat, sugar, sodium in the food, and the list continues.

If YOU are fat it is because YOU ate to damn much, not because there was to much food to eat!

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 5 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]400498[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree to a large extent because I used to say the EXACT same thing you just wrote. I now believe in the power of marketing and multi-million dollar think tanks. Are we, the uneducated masses, suppost to be able to outwit companies that throw $2 billion+ to annual advertising? The power of psychology and marketing should not be ignored, nor should the addiction factors invloved with overeating or overspending. One must have a bit more knowledge before they can truely choose between right and wrong, furthermore, they should be empowered to choose right and not "rewarded" for choosing wrong. We are weakening our society in no small way in the effort to increase the economy for a few wealthy individuals. Sure people play a role in the responsibility for their actions but when they are tricked, lied to, and coerced at every turn I feel the corporations have an unfair advantage. As for myself, I'm lucky enough to have the genetic structure that keeps me thin no matter what I eat but that will not save me from other ramifications suffered from a poor diet so I choose to educate myself and forst wilpower that keeps me from eating crap.

As for you halting progress. From my experience on this forum the majority of your posts seem to attack lines of progressive thinking that stall out or could slow momentum for no other reason than display your ability to find opposing views even when those views could be detrimental. I may be confusing your posts with some of the others who do similar things in here like Wildkow so if I am then I appologize. Again, I used to do the same thing and I agree that following blindly is not a good reaction to a situation but neither is continued negativity. Look at the information and both sides, try to find a balance and move forward. :)

This is a pretty good article on the subject:

This topic has been churning in my head for a few months now, since I read an interesting article by Michael Schrage on how innovation gets killed by resistance.

Then I came across an extract from Tom Kelley's latest book - The Ten Faces of Innovation, where Tom captures the essence of the problem with his description of the Devil's Advocate gambit:

"The pivotal meeting where you push forward a new idea or proposal you're passionate about. A fast-paced discussion leads to an upwelling of support that seems about to reach critical mass. And then, in one disastrous moment, your hopes are dashed when someone weighs in with those fateful words: "Let me just play Devil's Advocate for a minute..."

Having invoked the awesome protective power of that seemingly innocuous phrase, the speaker now feels entirely free to take pot shots at your idea, and does so with complete impunity. "

How many times have you been in meetings where the Devil's Advocate decimated your idea or your colleague's idea.

The other big problem with the group meeting is a variant of groupthink - when your idea is modified by the group to such an extent that it loses its entire meaning. Headrush wrote an interesting post on how to keep the sharp edges and avoiding groupthink.

Coming back to the Devil's Advocate - how do we deal with him/her?

Kris Bordessa wrote a brilliant post titled "Banishing Negativity" where she describes a very interesting technique - don't allow anyone to play devil's advocate, but instead ask them to finagle the idea to solve the problem that he/she was going to point out in the idea.

One of my colleagues uses this technique in group meetings and it works extremely well. When someone tries to shoot down an idea with some objection, my colleague asks them to submit a counter-proposal which modifies the idea suggested by the other person. Aside from solving the Devil's Advocate problem, it accomplishes another bigger thing - that of ending the meeting with an idea that is actionable for the entire group with assigned action items. Without this technique, at the end of the meeting you typically go out with no action plans because all the time was spent by the devil's advocates squashing someone's idea killing the productivity of the group not to speak of the morale.

13. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hmmmm. Yup. I need say no more.

14. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Mar 2 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]399284[/snapback]</div>
    And if he is, does this make global warming and climate change less important? No. He could be satan incarnate and it wouldn't matter.

This is called an "ad hominem" fallacy.