1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alignment Recommended at 30,000?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jrb451, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am 45 years old and have had many cars over the years and worked with many dealers. This is standard practice. Dealers are there to make money. It is not Good Will. They will lie for higher profits.

Auto sales people are the second worse hated profession next to lawyers for a reason. The people that write service contracts are sales people!!!

2. gt1948

gt1948 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask service tech today about this 30k service cost after getting my last free maint. He quoted me two prices $499 and 139. The alignment was with the high $$$ service. Also something to do with cleaning injectors and servicing a/c. Think I will go with the $139.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    He omitted the primary difference in the two levels of service. The $499 service involves a much more thorough job of cleaning out your wallet.

4. Southside

Southside New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My dealership tried to pull the "4 wheel alignment" on me when I took my 2010 in for its 15,000 mile service. The also wanted to change the engine air filter. I told them no on both counts. You can change your own filter for $18.00 in about 3 minutes (they wanted $65!). This filter is recommended to be changed at 30,000. RULE OF THUMB: IF IT AIN'T REQUIRED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, AND YOU AIN'T HAVING ANY PROBLEMS, DON'T LET 'EM DO IT."

5. roth2006

roth2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I almost forgot beside checking tire pressure also balance.

6. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One has to ask what is included in the 30k and any of the other major/ minor service's.

Many dealers "make up" a service schedule that they use for every model -- and it has nothing to do with what the manufacture recommends. I have to laugh -- because some hark back to service items that have been obsolete for over 25 years .... they will say "when appropriate" -- most of the items will say "check"

I strongly believe in the "if it is not broken" theory of car maintenance.

But I do closely watch my cars -- I check the oil often and inspect the filters -- especially check the tires for both the tread and the inflation pressure. I also change the air filters a little early and normally change the brake fluid every two to three years (depending on the fluid type)