1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alignment ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DGH, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi to all, first post.

Since picking up my Prius a couple of weeks ago, I have noticed the steering wheel is not straight along with some drifting at speed. After reading here, I see it is a somewhat common problem.
    So I call the dealer and he said it's Toyotas policy to not touch the alignment for 2000 miles to allow things to "settle". Dealer stated that my problems may disappear between now and 2000 miles.
    Has anyone else heard of or been told that? Is that the "official" policy?
    Thanks in advance...Dan.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi and welcome!

it's pretty common for the shipping tiedowns to somehow screw up the alignment. actually you should be able to get one free alignment early in your ownership if you have a bad alignment.

that's not toyota's policy, that's the dealer's policy. you've got a new car and it should have a correct alignment. period. i'd find another dealership, personally.

3. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Welcome, Dan,

I took mine in at 1800 miles, primarily because I'd had new tires put on, though the steering felt a bit vague. It was dead on, total toe -.07 degrees, just like the Big Boys and Girls around here said it should be, everything else well within tolerances. I asked the service manager about the slightly vague feeling (pretty much like what you describe, it didn't seem centered, and seemed to drift) and he said the electric power steering pump gives a really different feel compared to the old belt-driven ones, plus (as your guy said) things sometimes have to settle in a bit to quit feeling odd. After another 1000 miles now, I've gotten more used to it (or it's settled in, or something) and it doesn't feel quite as strange as it did a month ago. It sure settled my mind to have it checked, though - you might try talking to a different service advisor, if you don't want to change dealerships.

4. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    After further discussion with the dealer, they will do the alignment.

Regards,

Dan.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 28 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]310676[/snapback]</div>
    -.07 is not right for toe in. The minus number means it is toed out, toe out is unstable and makes the car feel vague and wander when it goes down the highway. The spec is -.1 to +.1 on each side but you would always want to be on the + side. I had a lot of alignment problems with mine, all solved now, and have found +.05 on each side (total +.1) is best. That is of course for the front.

The rear also needs toe in, more than the front. The spec for the rear is +.03 to +.28 on each side. I ended up with +.2 on each side in the rear. There are no adjustments in the rear but it can be shimmed.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Aug 28 2006, 08:00 PM) [snapback]310934[/snapback]</div>
    I think the actual spec is 0.0 - neither in nor out - though you're right, a slight toe in is more centered feeling.