1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All about EV charging and whats coming

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by IABoy987, May 19, 2022.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Found this on YouTube and explains the charging systems now and whats coming.

2. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wonder if Toyota plug in will join the high rate fast charge group, or the battery pack not designed to do fast charging. I realize the new style connector is needed for future plug ins.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. Probably Lexus only or only on the most expensive Toyotas like the Crown or Sequoia equivalent (or LC equivalent).

There’s an article that states that Lexus engineers are supplying 800V architecture to vehicles with around 100kWh and larger batteries. That means the cars that the rest of us buy, it’ll be based on the 400V that will take up to 200kW (CCS has a limit of 500A). Tesla superchargers go up to 480V IIRC so they can get closer to 240-250kW.

Toyota will probably stick with 150kW imo. If they stick with 70-80kWh (which is more than what they’re offering in the bZ4X), it’ll take about 40 mins 10-80%.

4. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So where does my lowly 2018 Prius plug-in fit as far as the Kw range? I get about 23mi/charge in summer and 17mi/charge in winter and use 120V charging outlet if that helps?

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The charging rate for AC charging is the lesser rating of the cars onboard charger and the EVSE (either built into your charging cord or the wall unit).

Volt x Amps = Watts
    You are charging at 120V x 12A (best guess) = 1440W or 1.44kW.

I am pretty sure the Prius plugin isn’t equipped to handle fast (DC) charging.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's hybrid system runs on 650V through the inverter to the motors (I believe 500V is standard? I don't remember all the details now).

The Prius Prime accepts 3.3kW at 240V (so that's 13A. It'll pull up to 16A on 208V 3-phase). On 120V, you're pulling around 1.44kW as @Zythryn says in the post above.

The RAV4 Prime has been upgraded to 6.6kW (28A at 240V) and that's the same system that will be used in the upcoming bZ4X.

Right now, we're just talking AC charging (from a wall outlet).

In terms of DC fast charging (DCFC), the plug-ins cannot accept DCFCs. The bZ4X will accept 100kW (AWD with CATL batteries) or 150kW (FWD with Panasonic batteries). They're all at 400V.

Zythryn likes this.
  7. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I believe that the version of the Prius Prime sold in Japan is able to accept CHAdeMO fast DC charging. However, because CHAdeMO stations are not common in the U.S., Toyota did not include this feature in the North American model of the Prius Prime.

There was some discussion on Prius Chat about retrofitting the North American model, but it was concluded that this would not be feasible and, even if so, there is no simple way to installed a CHAdeMO fast charging station in a typical residential setting.

Finally, it's worth noting that all types of "fast charging" require a large amount of energy to be delivered in a short time. This kind of extreme peak loading is well beyond a typical 200-amp residential electric service which also has to concurrently support normal household uses. Therefore, to provide "fast charging" at home requires some kind of energy storage where a "tank" of energy (such as a battery or capacitor) is charged at a moderate rate over a period of time and then quickly dumped to quick-charge the vehicle.

This same issue exists in developing the utility power grid so that there is sufficient capacity to support commercial fast-charging stations. The problem is not trivial.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Our Prius PHV has a CHAdeMO port, yes it's a Japanese import. I've written about this and our charging rates on AC and DC here:
    I doubt that charging the PHEV often at this rate is good for the battery even though Toyota has designed the PHEV to limit the max. DC current to "only" about 74 Amp.

Typically these fast charging stations are supplied by the utility grid with 3 phase power. Charging parks with many of these stations would connect directly to the high voltage power grid using between 2,000V and 35,000V. These grids move a lot of power to some very large users, so supply of the power isn't new but does require thought and suitable investment.

mikey_t likes this.
  9. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Elektroingenieur has found some interesting entries in the Japanese handbook for the Japanese Prius PHV (and our imported Prius) outlining what Toyota considers an acceptable frequency for fast charging using CHAdeMO:
    So Toyota feels CHAdeMO charging on a daily basis might not be too excessive. We have used our CHAdeMO port once - it charged from 0% to 80% in 17 minutes providing 4.8kWh of power i.e. a rate of 17kW at a current of 74Amp! This is "fast charging" for a PHV.

Elektroingenieur found a few more details detailing "fast" and "normal" charge rates:
    Elektroingenieur does add the following comment of caution:

#9 Plugin_RK, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    BiomedO1 and Tideland Prius like this.
  10. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Agreed, we tend to have higher expectations.

Remember, OEM engineering expectations end along with the car warranty. While those of us in CARB regulation states enjoy a 10 year, 150K mile warranty on our battery packs - we don't get a CHAdeMO charging option either.

Just something to think about........

Does anyone know what the OEM battery pack warranty on a Japanese Prime is/covers?

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In my 2017 Prime, DrPrius shows 9 amps max when charging L2 (220 volts) and 3 amps amps max when charging L1 (120 volts). Keep in mind that charging ramps down for several reasons during the charge session. So you'll only see the max rate of ( 9 amps at 220 volts or 3 amps at 120 volts ) when the system allows, and than only for a very short time as the charging rate ramps down the power slowly.