1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ALL BlueTooth Cell phones that work in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by m6scott, Oct 8, 2005.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Galaxy S works just fine, even in "Google S" garb. I suspect the SII will as well.
    The instructions are in the car's owners manual, but you don't even need that.
    You need to select on the phone, under "Settings", "Wireless and network settings", "Bluetooth Settings", "make device discoverable". Then "Scan for devices".
    In the car you first enter the phone as one it -can- use, then set it to pair in the menu on the MFD (multi-function display). Be aware both the car and the phone will time out eventually so you can't dilly-dally about getting them both looking for each other.

If you've never done this before, first check out the phone menus. Get familiar with finding them.
    Then enter the phone in the car's menu.
    Then tell the car to pair with the phone, and quickly set the phone to scan for devices.

The car is a "headset" in bluetooth jargon. Most Android phones will send the phone book to the car if you tell them to. This process also requires getting both devices ready to send/receive and telling it to happen.

If you still have problems, take the phone and car to where you got the phone. Usually the guys (gals) at those places are happy to help if they're not too busy. They should know how to connect it up for you.

2. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    David,

Thank you so much for the help. It is greatly appreciated. Have a great day....

3. rkillings

rkillings New Member

*Every* Bluetooth phone we've used in the 7+ years I've had my 2004 Prius -- a succession of models from LG, Motorola, Blackberry, and HTC -- has worked just fine for basic call functions. Until now.

The exception is the phone I"m using now, a Google Nexus S from Samsung (for the moment, still Google's current developer phone for Android!). You would expect such a phone to be able to play nice with the Prius' ancient Bluetooth stack, but it doesn't.

The problem: you get in the car and turn it on, Bluetooth connects -- and the *car goes off-hook*, interrupting the audio. You have to find the button on the steering wheel to hang up. The only workaround I've found is to power off the phone, remove its battery briefly and then turn it back on.

I have hopes that when I root this phone (soon), I will be able to use an app to reset its Bluetooth state to what it should be. Or that the promised Android update will fix the bug.

4. Thormaxx

Thormaxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just picked up my 2012 Prius tonight, and i am having difficulties pairing two cell phones with bluetooth. My 2 year Samsung link and 3 year lg rumor do not connect to Bluetooth on my 2012 Prius. I get a message on the Prius saying device not supported and yet the phone states a successful pair. Is there anything I can do?

5. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably nothing you can do other than upgrade. Likely the phones use an older version of Bluetooth.