1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All CT200h Reviews (formerly "Edmunds drives the Lexus CT200h. Meh")

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by UsedToLoveCars, Oct 13, 2010.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    March, according to clublexus forum and a couple of blogs. I've never seen an official date, other than "winter 2011".

But who knows. My GF is waiting for the Scion iQ, which was supposed to be released here by now, but it got pushed back until summer.

1 person likes this.
  2. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thing sure is slow but I think ultimately it's going to do decently. Sub 30k entry for a person who "has" to have a Lexus, performance be damned.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it's so much 'has to have' a Lexus.

I sat in the CT at the SF auto show. It is very different inside than the Prius. You can sit very low to the floorboard. It has low H (hip) point seating. The interior is much more 'normal' and 'sport-type', not sports car inside. It's Black or Tan interior, not Gray or Taupe, you know, 'like' sports cars..

There are people out there that just do not want a car shaped like a Prius, but they want a hatchback and a little room. Hey, 42 MPG combined, docile, but adequate acceleration, no problem, for some.

Some people will hit this car. Most here won't even look at it - many Americans like high-riding vehicles. I don't think the CT will sell very well here - 1k / month in US. I don't even see many Mazda3 hatchbacks around, and that is a bangin' car $24.6k (Grand Touring base sticker) - really nice interior, drives very well, good quality. 25 MPG average, oh.

Is the CT generally as good a daily driver as the Prius? Absolutely not. Soon as you're hiking your body up more to get out of the car and vice versa to get in, over and repeat, ........ less daily driver.

CT rear seat legroom as much as Prius? Absolutely not. Unless you fudge the front seat.

Is more attention paid to interior detail on the CT? I'm pretty sure. I believe the CT's steering wheel is actually centered in front of the seat, unlike, from my observation, the Prius. Soft touch dash materials in CT, yes.

Like SW said, it's how the car will make some feel while driving that will hook them. Don't worry, Prius is fine. It is one of the best cars for the money. Sales will ramp up.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Americans hate hatchbacks. I think hatchbacks are like cupholders, though. You don't realize how awesome they are until you have them.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As gas prices go further North, they will find themselves liking hatchbacks more and more :D

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Incredible that after all this time they talk about a "CVT" - how many other things are inaccurate in these reviews, I wonder...

8. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

hmmm, where I live, probably 50% of the cars on the road are hatchbacks...

Then again, many folks don't consider SF to be part of America...

just found an article that claims only 8.9% of cars sold in 2009 where hatches.

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Although I think you allude to this in your comment, the main accomplishment of the CT200H is not that it's going to be a huge mpg leader like the Prius, but that it's going to be a huge help in getting mainstream Americans to accept and embrace hybrids. If the CT200H does anywhere near as well as the IS300 did in image and popularity, then it will have succeeded.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, more variety of hybrids is a good thing. The more reasonable the price the better.

I'm seeing some Insight II's around town. Saw a lady go straight from a right turn lane in a Insight, heavy traffic and almost cause an accident.

Tons of people just don't know what a hybrid is all about.

Tell you what, it sucks a little more when catching red lights these days in this conventional. Light goes yellow, no big in hybrid... you regen, then ICE off at light.

11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another review, by Fotune magazine:

2011 Lexus CT 200h: A Prius-like hybrid for the fast crowd - The Wheel Deal - Fortune on CNNMoney.com

quote:
    The biggest step forward for the CT 200h is in ride and handling. The suspension has been upgraded, the car is better balanced, and the steering has been made more precise. Gone are the rock-hard low rolling resistance tires; they are replaced by more pliant rubber. This is one dedicated hybrid that doesn't mind going around corners or punishing your backside on broken pavement.

Quote:
    Toyota planned to only sell about 1,000 CT 200h's a month before the earthquake disrupted its production, making this limited edition vehicle even more limited. A few million more of them on the roads and the U.S. could start reducing its dependence on foreign oil.
    unquote.

Giora.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

CT200h got off to a great start and Lexus sold 2200 in March!

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad. Insight was #2 hybrid seller in Jan,Feb 2011 with 3,276, so CT outpaced it.

14. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cycledrum, I know you are not in the market, but you really need to go try the seats in the CT. Pure heaven, and infinitely adjustable.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Too late!

First day it came out, found my way to a $35k unit (with leather).

Yes, I noticed. Driver's seat is off the hook! So comfortable. :)

I'm good though. Already spent too much. :eek:

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's for sure. Was reading American Honda wanted Insight to be made with a 'boot' (trunk), but Honda wanted to sell it strong in EU, so gave it hatchback.

Some people just don't like hatchbacks. Weird.

17. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For all interested, I have posted here my "informal review"/comparison of the CT200h vs the Prius.

18. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I ever want a car with a trunk again.

Kind of weird people not liking hatchbacks...basically all SUVs/Minivans are...

19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe "Americans don't like hatchbacks". Not 20 years ago I'd say almost half the families had station wagons. Not to mention all the hatches throughout history in the 70's they also had AMC's famous cheap cars like the Gremlin and Pacer (ok maybe infamous). And the Mustang came in a hatch as well as the Ford Pinto. And the Chevy Nova, Camaro and Pontiac Firebird had hatches as was the Chevette. My Sister-in-law had Ford Festiva. Lots and lots of hatches.

20. UsedToLoveCars

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah - I see mazda 3 hatches, audi 3 and (to a less extent) volvo c30 hatches all over the place.

Starting to see the new fiesta hatches around, too.