1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All dash lights including red triangle, trouble starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tge101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh lord a AAA jumpstart. It’s probably happened already but I would not let a AAA tow truck jumpstart a Prius.
    Back in the day that was the scenario for many damaged Prius. Tow trucks have huge jump current. Prius does not like huge current inrush on its 12 volt buss and huge it is as your jumping a dead battery with unlimited current supply.

Winter is here. Expect many 12 volt horror stories. Lots of owners who have never wrenched on a car.

I won’t jump Someone off my Prius and I won’t jumpstart my Prius. It’s getting a tow home and battery replaced.

2. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ed,

The amps that a starting unit *can* supply are limited by the voltage applied. If the voltages are equal, no current will flow. Problem with the service trucks is that their goal is to get the disabled vehicle up and running FAST, so in many (if not most) cases the jumping equipment applies high voltage to get the amps into the dead battery as quickly as possible. On a hybrid, not only is the completely unnecessary, but it can damage the inverter and fuse protections.

The highest voltage that should EVER be applied to a vehicle's electrical system is 15.2Vdc, many jump starting systems will apply 18v or more, which can damage even hardened "12v" electrical components that are not "Mil-Spec".

Prodigyplace likes this.