1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All Dash Lights On, Won't Start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kelly618, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Kelly618

Kelly618 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 with 100k miles. Never had a bit of trouble until recently. Three times now, I push the power button and all the dashboard lights come on but the engine isn't running. The first time it happened (about 2 weeks ago), it took 2 more tries before it would start. The last two times (both today) it started on the second try. I just replaced the battery in my key fob thinking that was the problem. Is this a battery problem? If yes, what replacement battery do you recommend?

Rapidmotors likes this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If this is your original 12V battery then it very well could be the problem. Most on here are replacing it with an Optima Yellow Top made for the Prius. Or either the OEM battery from the dealer. Both are in the $200 range since they are AGM batteries to be used inside of the vehicle.

Check your 12V after sitting for a couple of hours. If it is less than 12V then replace the battery.

Another thing to check is the brake light switch. This has to be on before it will start. Back the car up to something that will reflect the brake lights so you can observe the brake lights coming on when you press the brake.

3. PriusConversionExpert

PriusConversionExpert Toyota Prius Conversionist

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Agreed, The above sounds right. I would say the 12volt battery or a brake light switch are high probability. Please check the following first to make sure you start with the simplest things first

1. The smart key... If the battery in the smart key is dead you will need to insert it in the vehicle to get it to start up. Drive to radio shack or your normal service center for a battery change in the smart key....

2. Also there is a switch under the steering wheel that we see clients bump with there knee. It is a "valet" switch. If this has been tripped you will need to flip it back or insert key again.

4. James Jensen

James Jensen I'll modify anything.

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 Prius, it has 180k. I just replaced the traction battery because I had cell #2 go bad. I kept the core, because you know what I'm going to be doing. Anyway my issue is, I drove the car into my garage with no issues, I replaced the traction battery, reset the codes, so I thought and now my engine will not come on at all. I did have to put my old computer from my old traction battery in the new battery and I don't know if that has anything to do with my engine not turning on. My Prius is lit up like a Christmas tree and I cant clear any lights. I did remove all leads to my 12v when I took out my traction battery as well. My 12v is charged. It feels like the infamous single, small, hard to get to roll over disconnect button syndrome. It's got to be easy, but I just cant find it.

5. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Re-work the safety plug. After swinging it up to the vertical position, you have to press down from 12 o'clock to six o'clock like you're giving an injection. Everyone seems to forget that last step.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Service plug position. Service Plug.JPG

7. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I disconnected my orange plug when I added a tap for my UPS, I found I had to press in the smaller connector with my finger after swinging the arm into place. Looking at the orange disconnect there are actually two plugs on it. The big obvious one and a smaller one.

After getting both plugs in place I had to then disconnect the 12 volt battery to get the triangle of death to disappear.

8. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    By "start" do you mean engine running, or "ready" light on? As others will attest, the engine (ICE) might not start right away depending on the hybrid battery state of charge.

9. petko_v

petko_v New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, guys, greetings from Bulgaria. I had exactly the same problem with my car - December 2005 with 160k miles. I got hit very bad by one of those "very fast" BMWs as I stopped at a crosswalk. So at the repair shop's kept the car for over a month, because they had to change the whole back part of the car and two days ago they called me to say that the car's engine does not start.

I went there and I saw all these things Kelly618 wrote - all dashboard lights came on but the engine did not start and the Start button was red lighted, not green.

So I found this thread here and called the mechanics, told them what I've found here, two hours later they called back and said they've found that because of the hit, something inside the hybrid battery separated just a little, but enough to cause all this. Or smth was little unplugged, I don't know. After they knew what to look for, they found this and fixed it. I'm writing all this just to let you know that if it was not your help, who knows when they'd found the reason. Thank you very much, greetings from Sofia (y)

prius2serve likes this.
  10. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome, and congratulations!

11. Dominic Wallen

Dominic Wallen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love you Man! I have rebalanced the damned traction battery twice, and reinstalled it. I have scoured Prius chat for a solution but still no luck getting it back into "ready". All of it was simply the orange reconnect plug. It's somewhat un-intuitive since the orange connect plug does get the HV system back to a 220 reading using the multimeter, even with the "second step". Thanks again, you rock.

12. PriusGuyfrom213

PriusGuyfrom213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This worked for me guys.

Birddocwayne likes this.
  13. Jarid

Jarid New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all! I have a 2012 prius and it's not starting. The 12v is good. I can get it to start up for about 5 seconds then it shuts off. And the power steering light comes on. When it runs the steering seems fine no issues then it just powers down. Open to some help thank!!

14. Dgles

Dgles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I LOVE YOU MAN! You saved me! After replacing my brake actuator (2004 Prius 138k miles bought with a rebuilt title at 83k miles in 2012). After patting myself on the back because there were no spare parts left over, I went through the process of checking and clearing the blink codes. Much to my dismay, every warning light across the panel lit up to humble me. I had already reset the safety plug once but reading this thread made me give it a more concerted effort. Bingo! all but the red-triangle went out and the car started. Disconnecting the 12V batter for several minutes took care of the triangle! Many thanks to all you old hands. Your generous and patient gift of time and talent has saved another Prius owner!

15. Tom Montefusco

Tom Montefusco New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    On my 2007 Prius this happened. All warning lights on
    Mechanic said I was out of gas but I got no warning lights

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    warninglights on, but you got no warning lights?