1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All door lock black buttons on outside & fobs not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beachbummm, May 13, 2015.

1. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    new batts in remotes (remotes do nothing but do start the car when inserted in dash)
    12 volt batt removed and tested good at autozone
    tried the "key" button under steering wheel in both positions still not working..
    checked all fuses under the hood, all OK ...all other items in the car seem to work

*None of the exterior black buttons work

any ideas?
    are their other fuses I need to check?
    is their a sensor box for the system, if so where is it located?

Thanks

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i would check all fuses.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both remotes don't work? Pressing the remote buttons? Did they ever work?

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Deducing that you recently acquired this used car?

Did the remote Lock/Unlock ever work from the FOB, when you pressed the button?

Did you check the fuses with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) to ensure continuity? A visual check is usually worthless.

What color is the Toyota logo on the back of the FOB? Black or Silver?
    If Silver, and the SKS never worked, you need to go to the dealer to have the SKS ECU cleared and reprogramed with your current SKS FOB(s). If you only have one silver FOB, best to buy a used or new one, before going to the dealer to have the SKS ECU cleared and reprogrammed. Once the Prius learns the SKS FOBs, best to buy NEW replacement SKS FOBs; the car can learn new SKS FOBs w/o dealer intervention; learning used requires dealer help.

If Black, these are meant for a non-SKS Prius and you obviously will not have any SKS functionality. You will have remote lock/unlock. Having a non-SKS FOB defeats the purpose of SKS, so best to get an SKS FOB.​

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    yes I recently bought the car, both fobs are in pretty bad shape, the rubber cover is worn out on both one is missing the buttons all together, both are the silver logo, neither one has worked with the car but do start it, I have checked the fuses under the hood for continuity , the fobs were going to be replaced due to condition, my concern is the black buttons on the car itself not working that tells me the issue is with the car so buying new fobs would be a waste of money until the issue is fixed

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to reseed the car to make it work. Those may or may not be the original fobs for the car.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    true, I guess that's a dealer repair ..

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Price shop the dealer fee for reseeding the SKS. Likely $200 range. See if they will include the key cut for your blanks that come with the new SKS fobs; they will have to look-up the key code, as you most likely do not have it, since you lack original keys. Make sure all existing learned fobs are deleted before they start the reprogramming process. Actually the beat up sks fobs could be included in the relearning process if you wanted. Hmm, I wonder if the previous person just put on a silver sks back into a non-sks fob?

Look for dealer service discount coupons on various dealer websites. Typically all Toy dealers will honor another Toy dealer service coupon/part coupon.

Internet search "OEM Toyota Parts". You'll get lots of hits for actual toy dealers selling online at a substantial discounted rate vs their retail parts counter. There are also the annoying everything under the sun large box auto parts stores too. There is a Toy Florida dealer.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the original blade key on one remote, ordered 2 blanks on e bay for three bucks,the original owner is a woman so I doubt she swapped parts around..its not a big deal but if it was a simple (cheap) fix I don't mind doing it..i think the black door button should still work even if the fobs are dead...that's telling me its the car not the fobs but Ill keep looking around for a lose connection or blown fuse..

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Part in the key that is used for SKS system is totally separated for the part that is used when key is inserted into the slot. So you could just have two broken keys if key only works if inserted.

I would start by testing it with another key. Since your key works inserted you can use it to pare another key.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The SKS portion is a passive, energy free system, that requires a reader (car door, trunk, center console). When the correct SKS fob is in range, the exterior buttons or the Start button will function. The battery that is in the remote is only used to send a signal to remotely lock/unlock the doors or have the car's horn sound for a distance, say 100feet.

The previous owner might have lost her original two SKS fobs, and just picked up used eBay fobs. The problem with this is the SKS function won't work. Remotely locking/unlocking can be made to work, but the convenient SKS portion will not, until the car's SKS ECU are reset to learn whatever SKS fobs are being presented for learning. This is why you must stick the fob into the ignition slot to Start the car. If the SKS ECU learned your fob, you would not be here incorrectly thinking the SKS buttons are broken.

What you are describing is what many others have described when getting used SKS fobs from eBay: they loss of SKS functionality because their car has not learned the used SKS fob.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can buy used fobs to replace your current mangled up fobs when you are reseeding. Don't need to buy new

Mrs.Diamond likes this.
  13. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    :(I guess its off to the dealer for re programming :cry:
    I hate the dealer, always trying to sell me services a don't need on an 11 yr old car

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    like the dentist.

Okinawa likes this.
  15. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    no ill pay extra for the pain killers....I don't mind that up sell :D

bisco likes this.
  16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know all about the dentist. You will have to mortgage the farm if you listen to him.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, and you have no idea what's going on in there, just a boat payment.

Okinawa likes this.
  18. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Go NEW SKS fobs. $94 at Camelback Toyota. Spend $150+ for free ground shipping.
    Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Just looked on eBay, and some clowns want $100/fob.

Cheaper new vs more expensive Used. Decision is easy.

Internet search "genuine Toyota OEM parts" to find dealers selling on line. There are dealers in Florida who sells online. Here's one:
    $92 for a Toy dealer in Newport Richey, FL.
    Toyota Parts Superstore

19. Mrs.Diamond

Mrs.Diamond Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am learning so much