All Electric - Quarter-Filled Gas Tank

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by dlegate, May 15, 2018.

1. not_a_prius

not_a_prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds like the gas evaporated it's still flammable but it's hard to ignite lacquer ( you will need a wick) since it's the vapors that makes it ignite I can put out an open flame i.e match with GAS if it's cold enough(i.e not putting out vapors)

gas does not evaporate in a CAR gas tank unless you got a leak 1997+ OBD2 is a sealed system fuel vapors are not vented to the atmosphere ( fuel vapors are a green house gas) it's captured and burned in the engine.

#41 not_a_prius, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Tips likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well it certainly appears that you have a good handle on BEING an idiot.
    And on being obnoxious too.

NOBODY who has any real knowledge or experience with gas engines will agree with what you said.

Did you come here just to stir up trouble ?
    If so, it's not appreciated.

3. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I am one of those idiots too. I have had to rebuild carburetors on several outboard engines and a generator as well. From fuel that was aged and had left deposits that solidified in said carburetors.

4. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, get along fellows and try too forget a bit off ribbing. Its good for you!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Count me in as one of those idiots, too. Unless you live in outer space or other place where there is no oxygen the gas is going to change due to routine oxidation that will take place once the gas is exposed to the air and even a small amount of air is present in the bladder. I don't think the bladder is free of all vapor. Gasoline is not crude oil and is a finely tuned concoction of many components that the ICE is designed to combust for optimal thermal efficiency.

6. Tips

Tips Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No blader in the Prime. Gen2 was the only Prius with a blader!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    And that was one generation too many! :(

Tips likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tips and jerrymildred like this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I also drive in EV mode alot and only keep a small amount of gas in the tank during those times.
    I also don't believe I need to fill the tank every time I stop to put gas in.
    If our car is only going to be driven in EV most of the time for several weeks / months 3 of 4 gals usually
    lasts that long. Plus it's less gas that can go stale over time.
    I also don't have any problem running in EV mode for many months with a full or near full tank of gas.
    The gas engine will turn on automagically when the car decides it's time to use it. And there are also times and certain circumstances when the driver wants to turn the gas engine on.

I'd also hazard to guess, most of use here at PC are still learning new things about how the Primes systems are effected by different conditions and driving styles the Prime is exposed to.

Tips likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The amount of oxygen in the air in a partially filled fuel tank can oxidize only a negligible portion of the fuel. E.g. for a half filled tank, the air carries enough oxygen to oxidize only about 0.014% of the gasoline. If one runs down to the low fuel light and leaves it there for an extended period, then maybe 0.1%.

The real oxidation problem would come in unsealed tanks, with a continual exchange of air with the outside, bringing in a regular resupply of oxygen. But PHEVs, including Prime, have extremely well sealed tanks. See article link at post #31.

In these vehicles, it would seem that other chemical changes within the fuel would predominate over oxidation.