1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All in a day's work

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mrpcar, Feb 16, 2013.

1. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are the torque specs for all the suspensions bolts on the front.. I just tightened them as most as I could.. lol

2. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You really should follow the torque spec. so that means you will need to get yourself about 3 different range of wrenches. There isn't one size fits all, torque wrenches that's used for higher torque are not very accurate on the lower end torque.

So you will need a large one used for wheel lug nuts and higher torque rating. A mid size one which will cover majority of your torque ranges and a inch lb wrench which handles smaller bolts like shock tower and smaller torque ranges.

Shock bolts to the hub 177ft lb, so you will need a torque wrench that will go to 250 ft lb range.
    Strut tower bolts 37 ft lb, so you will need an inch lb wrench. Over torquing this bolt will snap it off, then you are in a world of doo doo.
    Bolt for speed sensor is 21 ft lb, again use an inch lb wrench
    Sway bar drop link 55 ft lb, so this is where you will use a mid range torque wrench.
    Top shock bolt (large bolt) 35 ft lb, so mid range wrench.

Of course wheel lug nuts 76 ft lb.

For comparison purpose. Porsche lug nuts are 98 ft lb, Ferrari 70 ft lb, Cayenne 140.

3. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If you like DIYs, here is a collection of DIYs I've done over the years. Most of the articles are from me, some are contributed by others. Sorry not DIYs for Prius, it's for the other p-car.

diy

4. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife flies in our Prius too, she has a 2012 Mustang convertible, I have a F150 and the Prius, if I am driving the truck she will take the Prius to work in Raleigh, she comes in all the time telling me she is going to get put in jail in the Prius, says it does 80 - 85 - 90 so easy and quitely she doesn't notice, please remember this is usual big city 8 lane roads where EVERYONE is flying

Mrpcar likes this.
  5. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very cool!! I should make a website with all the DIY I have created.. Definitely not as many as urs but I have a few!

Mrpcar likes this.
  6. Jeffjett

Jeffjett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you keep the stock shocks with the lowering springs?

7. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    there is one external mod that you should consider - the jdm led turn mirror/puddle lights. they're oem in japan. o_O very cool and clean mod.

8. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I do like that. Actually I want the folding mirror too. :)

9. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    P'car, ( as in Jean-Luc )

Thanks for the torque specs on doing the spring work!!
    ( look at your posted spec for the speed sensor,,, it should be 21 in-lbs. , no?)

I bought springs/sway bar yesterday, buying used 17" wheels on Sunday and thinking of going with sticky summer time tires instead of LRR! Hot dam ! I'm on a roll !!

Here's another good reason to use the TRD sway bar vs Brand C, (quote):
    OEM style ball links have been added to this sway bar system to allow the beam axle to flex as the factory intended for toe and camber change during heavy cornering.

Question about Torque app: Can it be used to marry new TPMS to the car?

Thanks again for getting me to spend my money, Buddy ....

wotcher likes this.
  10. wotcher

wotcher Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    (y)

why stop there? how about a reverse tilt module? jdm mirror blue lens + defroster?

11. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Buddy,

Glad to hear that I can be a good influence in your life. :) Let me know anytime you want to borrow the Ferrari.'

It is 21 ft. lb. I double checked.

What is torque app?

12. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    P'car,

It's a $5 app for smart phones, you then buy an OBD II to bluetooth adapter for ~$20 bucks.
    You'll have so much data available about the car systems and analog engine displays. The first thing I did when I got mine was to turn off that bleeping reverse beeper. My '10 beeped the whole time I was in reverse,,, inside the car!

I'm waiting for the 'promised $99 7" tablets' to show up and use one as a dedicated engine display.
    If you have a Garmin nuvi sitting around you can use it for engine gauges also. This thread show pics of both systems in use: Garmin nuvi instead of a Scangauge or Torque | PriusChat

13. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL you are welcome

Thanks, I have a SG2 but looks like I may want to buy this tool to play with.

14. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We you are the at last Prius meet in Rowland Heights? If so we've met.

So on your last update basically you are saying that with the newer Prius it is just plug and play? No messing with running wires through the door etc?

16. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    P'car,

So, I have most of your List O'ingredients to achieve that "BMW 3 ser. feel".

>I found the Tanabe strut brace for $120 shipped!

I also found two separate front lower braces from Cusco:
    The one you used: http://www.juicedhybrid.com/Prius-Power-Brace-and-Chassis-Brace-p/951-492-f.htm
    And a forward mounted one: Toyota Prius Chassis Bar, Prius Chassis Stiffener, Prius Chassis Brace, Lower Arm Bar; Juicedhybrid.com

It looks like these could be used together. Any thoughts on using one or the other or both?

Dang, and then there's this one: Under Brace for 2010-2011 Toyota Prius

Question: This forward mounted one looks like it might get in the way of routine oil filter changes.
    Has anyone used this one and is it a hassle to do oil/filter and transaxle oil changes?

>I also have TRD springs and rear sway bar on the way ! Thanks to PC, $380 !!

>And thanks to PC, I have a set of Scion FR-S wheels with Mich Primacy HP tires ready to install, $720.
    ( From a CL post, 10 miles, a dealer take-off !! ) (come on spring time weather !!! , more snow on monday,,, dammy).

Thanks again, Buddy, for spending $1250 of my money... and counting...... the under braces are on hold for thoughts from you guys.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about $76 for a 7" tablet?
    Newegg link..

18. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could I run Torque on it? I've got a Newegg gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket!

19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The 7" tablet above won't work with Torque.
    It's got to have bluetooth to play with this: OBD II - BT adapt
    And also it nees GPS and good accelerometers and magnetometer to do all the fancy time/distance and navigating functions. This one claims: G-sensor: Support(Three axle) , Chinglish :D

My choices are the Nexus 7 or Samsung 7" tablet ( There may be two models of the Samsung. I'm leaning towards the Samsung because you can add a big microSD card and it has infrared sensors for home remote control use ).
    But I'm cooling my heels on this because at this year's CES they promised us '$99 7" Tablets soon'... I want mine.

20. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I was there.

This is my Prius

[​IMG]

My last update was to inform that the 2010-2011 Prius's mirror connector is pnp for the controller where as the 2012 + is not since the connector was changed.

Either way there will still be wiring work that needs to be done.