1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All in on Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Jan 21, 2018.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting, thank you. how does toyota achieve hud with the speedo where it is?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    btw, my speedo is at the right edge of the steering wheel, i suppose the reverse the instrumentation on rhd vehicles to put the speedo on the left edge of the wheel?

3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you have Tesla EAP, you don't need HUD. The current EAP is over 50% of FSD technology. The biggest stumbling block will be to get government (Federal, State, and local) to approve the use.

Regardless, I have HUD on my Prius and it was a fun toy for the first week and after that it became a nuisance in my line of sight. With adaptive cruise control on the Prius, we just set our desired speed on thje instrument cluster once and let the car worry about negotiating traffic. We rarely view our speed on the instrument cluster and never view our speed on the HUD. I know that many people who have never used HUD in a vehicle think it should be the greatest thing ever, but in reality, it is rarely used.

Don't know because no RHD vehicles have been built yet, that will probably come in late 2018. But your presumption makes sense to me, so I would say definitely yes. This is the beauty of the Tesla technology system, the User Interface screen can be customized by just inputing some revised software code without additional part build SKU's.

My Prius speedo is just above my right knuckles on the steering wheel. The Tesla 3 speedo is in exactly the same location, only in a larger font.

#23 el Crucero, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2018
    San_Carlos_Jeff and bisco like this.
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I like that review except...
    The section about autonomous driving is bad. He speaks as if the future goals of the autonomous driving are available today if not for state regulations.
    The hardware is in place and the software will be downloaded to your car once it is available.

6. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I agree @Zythryn , Autopilot is available but it does not have as many functions as full self driving. I also don't agree with his review of the UI screen. If you are driving to a location in an unknown neighborhood, this is exactly where you should have Autopilot engaged. You don't have to worry about your speed since it is pre-set and no need to look at Nav. map since the directions would be verbal. Also his criticism of speedo location doen't make sense either - "look to the right then up, look to the right then up." If the speedo is behind the steering wheel, then - look down then up, look down then up. It's all the same. I think all of the current Tesla 3 owners have said it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to a day to get used to the speedo location on the UI screen and then it becomes second nature. I have already tested it and since I already drive a Prius with the speedo in that location, there was a zero learning curve for me. I think if the reviewer had the car for a day, he would have an entirely different opinion of the UI screen.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m with you there. I have only ridden in the Model 3 once, but that experience really helped settle my concern over the central console.
    However, the opinion on the UI is just that, an opinion.
    I really can’t argue that doesn’t exist as his opinion for himself.
    I can argue it doesn’t apply to me, but I can do that a lot better once I have mine ;)

8. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't agree with this early overemphasis and reliance on autopilot especially in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The interior dash is to empty for my taste. It's center stack is an over sized I-Pad. Where is switch gear and gauges to make you feel like you are driving a car! Oh wait, this is what the future is, mindless driving. Ugh!

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    send a pm & come over some time. We'll take a spin in our autopilot II, & then watch how fast the retraction spews forth ... something like, "gasp! what is this - Mr Toad's wild ride?"

Having 1,000's of miles in both AP1 & APII, it's galling, after paying $1K's for a promised feature, & a year later, it's still twitchy compared to AP1. imo, don't pay for that feature until average owners are all say it's working. How's that for brutal honesty.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well we can use your "mindless driving" analogy to other futuristic devices. Smartphones are just mindless talking when you don't have a party line with a rotary phone, and an operator that says "number puleeeez." Wristwatches are just mindless time telling without a real watch that you have to wind daily. Cable television is just mindless watching when you can have a TV that only gets one station and you have to adjust the rabbit ears antenna to get reception. A laptop is mindless computing when you can rely on an abacus. Air travel is just mindless travel when you aren't sitting in the rear seat of a biplane holding on for dear life. Breathing polluted air is just mindless living if you die early from cancer by breathing filthy air produced by ICE vehicles.

Yes, @orenji this IS the future. Driving a model 3 is like driving a spaceship - faster than 90% of the cars on the road, corners like on rails, plenty of room in ultra-comfortable seats, and safer too because you don't have to concentrate on gears and gauges and can concentrate on what is happening around you. @orenji I know you want one or else you wouldn't be hanging out here. I will be getting mine soon, in two or three months, and I will bring it to Massa Cris' house and you and Cris and Sean can drive the FUTURE! Hold on tight, it will be thrilling, and you too will be wearing a "Tesla grin." Tesla puts the fun back into 'mindless driving.'

#31 el Crucero, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    orenji and San_Carlos_Jeff like this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Your offer is appreciated. I'm in Mexico right now on holiday. Can you swing buy? REAL margaritas on me.

From what I can tell, those people who have owned an AP1 car are not pleased with the model 3 EAP. However, those who have not owned AP1 are VERY pleased by model 3 AP. I have no experience with AP1 but I have seen videos of folks using model 3 hands off EAP on the freeway and I will be thrilled with the results.

You are probably right about AP1 but without something to compare to and with future OTA refinements, I know I will be happy with EAP. I volunteer to pay $5000 to be a Beta tester.

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the good laugh. Now I will just saddle up my horse and dream about the future.