1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All New 5G 2023 Prius Reveal - Livestream @ 11/15 11:30 PM EST

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Nov 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Danny and Zythryn like this.
  3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Imho, if you could get a 2022 Prius Limited (Hybrid, or Prime), that would likely be at least 10% cheaper (verses a similar 2023 model).
    I don't see TSS 3.0 being "a lot better", than the TSS 2.0 system in my 2022 Limited.

For the 2022 Prime, that would have less of a range. But, with a Proven Battery.

The 2023, will likely go to a different battery, in order to make it smaller and increase the range. Plus, with the bigger newer battery, I expect the 2023+ plug-in to have an additional noticeable price increase.

Toyota has already said, that because the the non-stable costs of the raw materials, they will be going to a "change the price anytime" type of pricing. Fwiw, in reality, it's always been like that, for every manufacture. However, before, manufacture were "better able" to lock in pricing and amounts from suppliers.

The Mach-E, F150, HummerEV, etc, have already announced 10-20%+ increases for the new model years/orders.

More info should be coming in the following days. But, I don't know about pricing.

Markups are very dependent on where someone lives.

In general, more cars are on the lot, because of the lending rate, job layoffs, slightly more vehicles being built, and so on.

Fwiw, YAA talked about that on their Tuesday youtube video.
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTwUPNL2X40

Good Luck!

4. brt

brt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know if this is the only difference but it looks like the Prime PHEV has white/clear taillight lenses (yellow car) and non-Prime HEV has red taillight lenses (gray car). The third brake light lens on both appears to be red:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

drash and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same. That’s why I bought an EV. I was only filling 1/2-1 tank per year in my Prime unless I was doing road trips (which I only did one in 2019 before the pandemic).

Now this EV covers all of my needs. (Yes, I’ve already taken it to the Rockies and to the Island and to the US so I’ve done my usual trips to see that it works).

I’ve lived with a Gen 3 in a cold environment for many years and it works fine. Never had to “bang the roof” to clear snow or ice off the roof. Granted, I had a (non-heated) parkade in my apartment so it was above freezing and could melt ice if I needed to.

The solar roof also worked as early as March (but barely).

We won’t know unless they release the technical brochure. Moonroofs have been a part of Prius since Gen 3. Yeah my Gen 3 with the solar roof did flex after 10 years. I assume the pano roof might be stronger since it’s non-opening.

Looks like it, yes.

pakitt and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There’s memory seats.

3E14C550-7082-442A-B8F7-6B244FACB782.jpeg

JoeBlack, drash, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  7. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I love the full length tail lights. I think they are sexy as hell. Dodge started with the full length tail lights and they look real nice on their cars. Glad Toyota is getting in on that action. The taillights on the first Gen 4s were nice, IMHO, because they were distinct. In a world where all the cars from one manufacturer *ALL* look the same, it was nice to be different. Sorry, but I love cars that don't look like other cars in a makers lineup, and this redesign makes the Prius stand out. When you see it you think Prius, not is that a Camry or Corolla or Prius or Avalon?

That being said, I wish they would take the headlights back to the drawing board. The lobster claw is ok, but the design of the main headlight itself is just so unappealing ...

In the end, I would buy it.

reallyreal and Sarge like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I thought narrower was good for rolling resistance as well. Haven’t really thought it through though; just from my reading.

Yeah funny they blur out tire sizes in photos, “maybe” still in flux.

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am sure they have different sizes for different trims as in the past. The difference this time is one model will be performance oriented with decent mpg while another will be strictly the highest mpg. Same as existing Rav4.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is, there aren't any EVs I'm really interested in. This is what I'm interested in, as an EV.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am pleasantly surprised with the exterior looks and the announced specifications of the prius prime.

IMHO the interior still needs work, but is much better than it was in my previous gen 3.

Good Job toyota!

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    this new generation may just actually get the Prius off of life support!!

#72 hill, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Lightning Racer, JoeBlack and Danny like this.
  13. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best looking prius.

Lightning Racer likes this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm continuously shocked at how much stock people put into how cars look. The way a car looks is definitely not in my top 10 important aspects, and it's not even on the list unless it's just distractingly hideous.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You realize you just contradicted yourself? ;)

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think so. Whether it looks like a G2 Prius, a Model S or a Lambo doesn't matter to me. It would have to look like an AMC Thing or Nissan Cube for looks to be part of the equation.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    even contradicting that he contradicts
    ;)

fotomoto, -Yousef- and austingreen like this.
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since you can't seem to understand this, I'll explain.

The way a car looks is not on my list of important things to consider 99% of the time. The other 1% of cars I wouldn't be interested in anyway.

It has to look like these for me to even care. If it's not this ugly, I don't car *at all*

upload_2022-11-16_9-2-44.png

upload_2022-11-16_9-3-48.png

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota designs for Japan. Which does get snow, but doesn't have road salt. That's why the current Prius AWD has a low power rear motor. It was for helping out in poor weather at low speeds, not as a performance boost at all speeds.

The solar roof was designed for Japan too. Fewer people have access to home charging, and about half of those are on a 'low power' grid. Charging a Prius Prime from a residential outlet can take over ten hours there. So Japanese models have CHAdeMO standard, and the solar roof option. Safety standards kept the current solar roof out of the US, but it is also a $3000 option that excluded some higher end features.

PV panels heat up when in use. Get an exposed corner, and they become self clearing of snow and ice.

The numbers assume best case of exposure when parked.

Could be the same battery chemistry. Going with some type of coolant based system, like in the Rav4 Prime, alone will shrink the pack size compared to an air cooled one.

I thought the contact patch size was relatively the same with the same load. Maybe narrower has more sidewall flex, as the patch oval is turned 90 degrees from the wider.
    By having any 'too ugly' threshold, you are putting stock in how a car looks.

hill likes this.
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Tires do have aerodynamic drag which is affected by width.