1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All New Teslas To Get "Only" 400 kWh Of Annual Free Supercharging Starting January 2017

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by iplug, Nov 7, 2016.

1. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like there will still be an unlimited option (from the first quote):
    Hope to hear that the option will be included in the largest battery package, but that is sounding increasingly less likely now.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Watt ? If someone were counting on eternally free juice - well their feelings are likely all amped up - it probably hertz. Tesla will probably face a lot of resistance that buyers want rectified ... i hope folks won't charge down there & cause a lot of static. That'd be shocking.

#22 hill, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Kevin_Denver, NR427 and markabele like this.
  3. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ugh, locking in free super charging and the $2k increase on November 22nd has me strongly considering selling my Leaf and putting a deposit this weekend for a MS60 (with pano and enhanced Autopilot). I just hope it would arrive by the end of December to get the federal tax credit for this year. Hopefully I can sell my Leaf for a reasonable amount private party by delivery.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do order before the end of the year, you can use this link http://ts.la/mark1217
    For $1000 off.

I'm very happy with out 70D. If the 60 had been an option when we bought we would have chosen that.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  5. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I finally caved and ordered, and confirmed right away to maximize delivery this calendar year. I opted to skip out of preapproval to avoid 2 hard pulls, so hopefully that doesn't cause me any unexpected surprises. I think I'll do the preapproval on the last day of November in case rates go up in December (should be within 30 days of delivery then). Time to start working on finding a buyer for my Leaf.

Zythryn likes this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations!

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! as we both know - the $1.29 gas in Huntsville - like most statistics, can be used to make facts say whatever one wants them to say. Comparing the full-sized, better handling, safer, AWD, luxurius (up to) 7 seater, 0-60mph in 2. 5 second tesla - to what - Prius, with less than ⅓ the torque & hp as a prius?
    This is like comparing cost & cleanliness of the coal-fired electricity in west Virginia, against large percentage hydro States like Washington - or large percentage PV states like Cali, where most of the plug in's run anyway - not to mention the large percentage (& growing) of plugin owners that have PV to reduce the charge cost to very very little or even 0¢/mile. I certainly never imagined i'd find myself compelled to clarify bob's always useful charts n' facts ...
    This is a red letter day!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, I like red too.

bwilson4web said:
    Source: Tesla Will Now Charge to Supercharge | TheDetroitBureau.com

The maker’s longest-range Model S P100d, which gets slightly more than 300 miles, according to the EPA, would cost $12.90. That doesn’t account for the fact that many home chargers are timed to operate overnight using special lower electric rates. In some cases, that can be as little as $0.02 per kWh, or just $2.00 to recharge the P100d.

So if I spend $12.90 on gas at $1.90/gallon regular (Huntsville):
    • $12.90 / ($1.90 /gal) = 6.79 gallons
    • 6.79 gallons @52 MPG (Gen-3 Prius) -> 353 miles (Gen-3 Prius)
    • 300 miles (Tesla S P100d)
    .....snip.......

Wow! as we both know - the $1.29 gas ("$1.90/gal" rjw) in Huntsville - like most statistics, can be used to make facts say whatever one wants them to say. Comparing the full-sized, better handling, safer, AWD, luxurius (up to) 7 seater, 0-60mph in 2. 5 second tesla - to what - Prius, with less than ⅓ the torque & hp as a prius?
    • I was looking at the cost of getting two vehicles a given distance for the same price. For a single to five occupants, the comparison remains valid.
    • A maximum occupancy Tesla would reduce the cost per seat mile by 5/7 compared to a maximum occupancy Prius.
    • The other metrics have merit if the route chosen favors 2.5 second acceleration 0-60 or significant grades where the higher torque and HP of the Tesla gives a distinct advantage. But that was not part of my analysis.
    • Fair criticism, I should have included the driving conditions,"standard day, 65 mph, no wind, on a flat route."
    This is like comparing cost & cleanliness of the coal-fired electricity in west Virginia, against large percentage hydro States like Washington - or large percentage PV states like Cali, where most of the plug in's run anyway - not to mention the large percentage (& growing) of plugin owners that have PV to reduce the charge cost to very very little or even 0¢/mile. I certainly never imagined i'd find myself compelled to clarify bob's always useful charts n' facts ...
    • Other than not including qualifications of the driving conditions, this part was never part of my original post. This one is yours.
    This is a red letter day!
    • Reminds me:

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sounded worse than even a KO to me ... guess Slim ain't lookin' to buy no solar

bisco likes this.
  11. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! Sorry I had already committed to using my friend's boss's referral code. I don't think it's quite hit me yet, but I'm sure it will once I apply for my loan at the end of next week. I received my VIN about 2 hours after confirming on Sunday, so I have my fingers crossed for deliver this calendar year for taxes!

hill likes this.
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem at all! I am just glad you got the $1000 off(y)

May I ask for the last 6 digits of your VIN? I have lost track of where they are at.
    5 weeks is pretty quick, but I know Tesla is pushing hard. Enjoy the ride!

13. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! I got a number a bit over 175,000. My owner advisor seemed confident that I would be able to get it this calendar year. I told him I don't mind picking up at the factory if it means the difference between December or January delivery, but he said it shouldn't be necessary. Fingers crossed!

Zythryn likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're in the area, why not? What's the destination charge? Something like $1,200 ? Now, if they're going to add a destination charge regardless, then heck yeah let 'em drop it off at my driveway... that would keep the four 400 miles off of my odometer.

15. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately there is some law that prevents the manufacturer from removing the destination charge for factory pickups, otherwise I would definitely have done the drive. As it stands, I'd rather not risk getting rock chips on the drive back on a brand new car :D

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Likely part of those laws protecting independent dealers.