1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All of a sudden, brakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mjgill1, Jan 6, 2023.

1. mjgill1

mjgill1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everything was normal. Then backing out of a parking spot, some dummy lights illuminated and I could tell there was something amiss with the brakes. Now when applying the brakes, I can tell that the traction motor is not engaging, or at least it feels that way. The rear hubs were replaced about a two months ago due to wheel bearing noise. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it was? I have an appointment at the dealer. Hoping it's a fuse or something, but....

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few years back I replaced my rear hubs, cheaper ones sadly. About a month or so
    later I had the same problem. It was a bad sensor in the hub. I put the older on back on
    until the replacements came. They lasted a few thousand miles. I bought Timkens.
    They've been on about 50,000 miles and still going...

You should take it back to whoever replaced them and have them see which sensor is bad.
    And make sure the hubs say "Timken" on them.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then couldn't he take the sensor wires out of the old hubs and stick one back in the one that's bad or showing bad and it would work The sensors just pull out of the hubs right they're not permanently in there forever? They can be changed they can be ripped out cut messed up by people and or things that get slung in between the wheels and somebody goes four wheeling or similar? This is why I tend to do this stuff myself because those hubs would be laying on my shop floor and I could pull my sensors out lay them off to the side or in a box and have them as extras if you will.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The wire connectors to the rear speed sensors (embedded in the bearing) are a bear to disconnect. Maybe they broke the connector latches while disconnecting them, and pushed them back on, but they've come loose.

I think you can check if they're pushed on without raising the car.

Full disclosure: both sides on mine have those latches broken. So far they've held on ok though.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I found a dab of release agent type glue like goop can really help out with some of those connectors they won't come apart until you pry and pull a little bit whether the connecting part is broken or not It will stay together

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The trouble codes in this situation might have something to do with the rear speed sensors or the work that was done, or they might not, but so far nobody has said what the trouble codes are.

If there isn't a scan tool handy to read them, they can be read without one, as described on this wiki page:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for giggles check that the connectors are solidly pushed in, "might" save you a dealer$hip visit.

8. mjgill1

mjgill1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the replies. I thought I wasn't getting any, but found out I simply wasn't getting any notifications. I am the guy who replaced the hubs. It was an easy, but somewhat time consuming job. My biggest concern is the loss of the traction regeneration. I have an appt. for diagnosis on Wed. Wish me luck.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The hubs are an easy change out they are I'm glad somebody admits that it's not that big of a deal Time consuming if you have tools like an electric impact and a long breaker bar you know I don't know 45 minutes aside or something like that maybe a tad longer If you have never done this and you have to make arrangements for every maneuver you need to do then yes it'll take a little longer once you think about it for a minute and see what you have to do not a lot of business to worry about in reality It sounds like something is disconnected squashed cut something something is not sensing. Once they figure that out and get it plugged in or set correctly maybe everything will be good so I'm guessing you have no codes or can't read them or something I'm not sure.