1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All Season Performance Tire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tamilyn, Oct 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tamilyn

tamilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am at 90K and am getting ready to put the third set of all season performance tires on my 2014 Prius v five. After the OEMs, I bought the second set at the dealer, who recommended/replaced them with Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring 215/50R17, which have been fairly noisy. When looking at replacement options, I noticed that the current tires have a load/speed rating of 93V but a minimum W is what the specs say. I live in Maine so do have some snow/ice to deal with if I choose to drive in it. I had lined up some Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus based on Consumer Reports but they don't come in a W or Y speed rating. Any recommendations for new tires? Noise and handling are my priorities, then gas mileage. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Continental Pure Contact in OEM size are LRR and have 9.0 ratings for dry and wet handling and are DWS all-season rated.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    W = 168 MPH
    Y= 186 MPH

reference

In Maine in a Prius????

4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The quietest, best handling tires I've had are Michelin Defenders on my Gen 2 Prius. They are a bit expensive, but they last a long time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. tamilyn

tamilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely! Three winters down with my v and no problems. I do have the advantage of just being able to stay home rather than driving during storms :)

6. tamilyn

tamilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well after plenty of research plus a visit to a tire shop to understand the meaning of the speed/load ratings, I've decided to go with the specified "W" speed rated tire, so have settled on Continental Extreme Contact 215/50ZR17XL 95W ($664 installed). I'll post an update once I have a couple thousand miles on them. Thanks each of you for the input.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I wasn't questioning that you drive a Prius, but that you needed tires rated for those speeds especially in Maine. Those figures are a measure of how much heat both atmospheric and from the flexing of the tire the tire can withstand.

8. tamilyn

tamilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I get it now :) Thanks for helping me understand a little better. I have no idea why just the Prius v five has the w load rated tire specified.

9. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Five has the lower profile 17" tire.

Air_Boss likes this.
  10. tamilyn

tamilyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just wanted to give an update. It has been two months since I got the Continental Extreme Contact 215/50ZR17XL 95W tires. We have had more snowstorms than I care to think about and they are working well. They are much quieter than the previous tires so they have turned out to be a good fit all around. Thanks for your input everyone.

Mendel Leisk and m.wynn like this.