All the stuff I've loaded into my Prime's cargo area

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-Current)' started by Lee Jay, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the tip. When I bought PRIME, I thought about adding roof rack, but the high cost and also some people having noise issue on highway made me rethink. Even if I do install a roof rack onto my PRIME, it will be very difficult if not plain impossible to secure 4x8 plywood in a way not to be blown away while driving, and certainly I can not put 16 loose bails of straws on top of the car. I am in search of a second car (truck or van or suv) with a large cargo.

2. noonm

noonm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Can't help you with the loose bails, but I have secured 4x8 sheets to the top of a roof rack on my previous car (Honda Civic Hybrid). The key is to use lots of twine/straps and a roof rack shield to direct air up and above the sheet (something larger than this, but you get the idea):
    [​IMG]

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, but no thanks. I once hauled 6 feet tall stockade fence panel on top of my minivan roof rack. It was heavy enough I did not think it would fly off of the roof, but even at 30 mph, the thing was shaking a lot and almost blown off in the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily, it didn't and I got home safe. Never again I would try putting something bigger than the car itself on top of the roof. Fortunately, I don't need to carry 4x8 or larger piece of material often. Renting a cargo van from Home Depot is much safer and cheap at only $19.99.

#83 Salamander_King, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    drash likes this.