1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ALL the warning lights suddenly came on....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2005BluePrius, Nov 2, 2019.

1. 2005BluePrius

2005BluePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not all of them, but these came on all at once today. I was driving on the freeway and these lights came on. I went to Auto Zone and did the "Fix Finder" and no results came up. I did notice that my battery, which is a refurb that just recently got installed, wasn't kicking in at all. Other than that, the car works perfectly. I'm going to have to be doing some freeway driving for work next week so I'm concerned. Any idea what could be happening?

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try another location for Autozone, Oreillys, Pep Boys, or Napa.. each location may carry a different OBD2 scanner, and if you get lucky one of them might be a Toyota hybrid compatible DTC (code) scanner.

Almost sounds like the HV battery has given up the ghost, who did the refurb and what's the warranty on the recently installed item?

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it sounds like the HV battery is faulty.

m.wynn likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

m.wynn likes this.
  5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check that the inverter pump is working. Look for turbulence in that tank with the cap off. (NOT the radiator cap!) If that pump fails the inverter may overheat and then everything lights up. If the car cools off and you reset the CEL it won't light back up again immediately. This tends to come on during freeway driving since the inverter is under more load then. You do not want to drive on the freeway for an extended period with that pump out of service since cooking the inverter and transaxle is a bad idea.

While the OEM pumps seem to just die I had a Dorman replacement pump fail intermittently. So even if you see turbulence once it isn't a 100% guarantee that the pump will work some other time. If there is no motion though, that is most likely the problem.

6. 2005BluePrius

2005BluePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! My daughter is taking the car to her friend a mechanic today and so I emailed her this information. I SO appreciate that! Wow!

7. 2005BluePrius

2005BluePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the odometer stopped at 300k. It does have a refurb battery that is very new...and otherwise seems to be in good shape...

bisco likes this.
  8. 2005BluePrius

2005BluePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for this suggestion!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As pointed out earlier, that might very well be the problem. New to your daughter, does not actually mean new battery. A refurb battery is still but a collection of old second-hand modules. The only reliable replacement battery is a Brand new one with all brand new modules.