1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All warning lights came on!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jgny, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jgny

jgny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other night, went to start the prius and nothing happened except all the warning lights

came on! So took the foot off the brake pedal and sat there for a minute trying to figure out

what the heck happened?? Tried a couple more times and then suddenly it was fine and

it started! Now I have to mention that the outside temp was around 16*,,, not sure if that

could have caused this strange reaction?? Any ideas? I sure dont want to be stranded somewhere!

This is northern ny and we get cold cold harsh winters! :eek:

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Press hard on the brake pedal while pressing the POWER button, when making the Prius READY.
    2. If the 12V battery is more than four years old, replace it as a preventive move and make sure the new battery is fully-charged prior to installation.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree this is a classic symptom of a weak 12V battery. When it gets cold, batteries don't perform as well, a weak battery mixed with extremely cold weather will be a nearly dead battery. When you pressed the start button the second time (or however many), the stars aligned and the car made it thru the startup sequence. I highly advise getting a new 12V battery asap.

5. jgny

jgny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thank you for the reply! Any battery recommendations?

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For now, if possible, put a battery charger on it, and at least get it as well topped off as it can be. Here on PC there are many who have used the Optima yellowtop replacement from Hybrid parts There are others, as well as the Toyota part, which is pricey. It depends on what is available locally vs. shipping costs.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Several here recommend Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 + , Prius V & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

Other options are the OEM battery that is sold at the dealer. Also Exide makes a battery for it. O Reilly Auto Parts also stocks a drop in battery.

Make sure you get a AGM type battery with the JIS reversed posts that is vented.

File attached covers installation of the battery.

Whatever battery you get, make sure it is fully charged before you install it. Just because it is new does not mean it is always fully charged.

Attached Files:

Prius I.T. Pro likes this.
  8. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Prius I.T. Pro

Prius I.T. Pro New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Optima DS46B24R Yellow Top Battery for Toyota Prius with SmartKey System, $189 some places, but cheaper in others, Google's your best friend.

11. Tom Montefusco

Tom Montefusco New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I had same problem. But I was out of gas. The mechanic said gauge shows 3/4 full but there was no gas in engine. He has to recalibrate the sensor I assume