1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

All-weather tire, is it time?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First, I own no Prius anymore:sick:

My Subaru Outback runs with the OEM Bridgestone from April to November and Michelin X-ice in winter.

The Bridgestone will be good through September. The X-ice have two more winters in them - amazing treadwear -- that will be four winters for the X-ice.

Normally would replace the Bridgestone with General RT45, but thinking of going with an All-weather such as the Michelin Crossclimate 2 and when the Ice-x wearout just sticking to the All-weather all year?

cyberpriusII likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what our daughter did with her Pilot, worked out fine. She used a Nordman WR IIRC; I'm pretty sure it's Nokian's budget brand. Up here they're sold by Kal Tire (near-exclusively?); not sure about the States.

The Michelins sound good; would probably be my choice, if I was choosing "all-weather".

(Run-on semi-colons got the better of me...)

cyberpriusII and Stevewoods like this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, Subaru AWD with all-season is about as good as FWD with winter tires in getting you moving. Assuming you don't have to go out in a blizzard, all-weather should be fine.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put CrossClimate2 (Michelin's all weather tire) on my RAV4 in January. Amazing traction on snow and ice and fantastic in heavy rain.

And, you can run it in the summer. They are noisy, but most people say they are quiet. Maybe my hearing is more acute. I know I am more cute :p:p:p

Downside: $$$$$$

I tend to spend too much on safety-related items nowadays. But, hey, you only live -- what did James Bond say -- twice.

Oh, I purchased the CC2 tires at Costco when they were having a "promotion." Saved, I don't know, $80 or so, but still paid around $900 for all four tires.

I remember running 145's on my little Toyota Tercel when I first stared driving. I think I bought them at Toys 'R Us for $19.95 and a coupon.
    kris

#4 cyberpriusII, Mar 31, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    otatrant and Stevewoods like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought about all-weather tires instead of dedicated snow for our new Escape. But when I checked, it was cheaper to buy a set of downsized 17" wheels (used OEM wheels) and snow tires (Blizzak) than buying 4 larger CrossClimate tires. So, I went with Blizzak. But now I have smaller wheels, maybe next set I may try CrossClimate and sell larger OEM wheels. The question is the tread life on CrossClimate when worn year around. If it lasts say only 20K miles like our run flat, then they are way too expensive options.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Stevewoods likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could. Michelin CC2 seems to be the new kid on the block. Nokian WR series and Goodyear Assurance TripleTred series are other options too for all-weather. We did run the WR/WRG2 on the Gen 2 and currently run the WRG4 on the Gen 4.

One benefit from a separate set is reducing exposure to the factory alloys (and thus corrosion, especially if your area uses a lot of salt). The other is some new cars have stupidly large wheels and downsizing saves money but also offsets the winter tyre tread efficiency loss so you could maintain mpg throughout the winter months (or at least reduce the loss).

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was exactly my reasoning. Downsizing the winter wheels to 17" and buying dedicated winter tires were cheaper. I did that only 1 week after getting a new Escape PHEV, so I can't compare the mpg saving. But I will see if there is a big change when I swap back to larger stock wheels/tires in a few weeks. Unfortunately, we are still having snowy days in forecast. Just had accumulation over night. It will be close to May for the stock wheels/tires. Then, temp difference alone will have a bigger impact on the fuel efficiency.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My winter setup is 60 lbs lighter (unsprung) than the stock setup. Given that I live in the city, it’s a noticeable increase in kWh/100km in the same temps. And when the temps cool and the rain falls, I’m getting about the same. (It’s also mild so I don’t see the sub -20°C temps)

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I do the tire change, I have to put the wheel/tire combo on a scale. I don't think stock 18" wheels/tires are 15 lbs heavier than 17" winters. For one thing, Ford changed the stock OEM tire size to a narrower 225 tires for all Gen4 Escape. My PHEV trim came with 18" wheels instead of 19" wheels on some Hybrid and ICE upper trims. I bought older Gen3 Escpace 17" OEM used wheels cheaply. For Gen3 Escape, Ford used 235/55R17 tires, but I fitted the Gen3 wheels with Gen4 spec 225/65R17 Blizzak. They sure are much lighter than the wheels/tires I had to swap on our previous SUV (Pathfinder Hybrid) that came with P235/55R20 stock, and a set of 18" wheels for winter tires 235/65R18.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not if you bought used stock rims. Stock rims are cast alloy. It’ll likely be a few pounds lighter unless, for some reason, the winter tyres are heavier and offset the weight (unlikely).

I went from 255/45R20 Continental CrossContact RX (32 lbs each) to a 225/55R19 Nokian Hakkapeliita R5 EV (26 lbs each). The stock cast-alloy rims are around 33lbs each. The 19” flow-formed alloys for the winter setup are 23.6lbs each.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My back hurts just reading that. :eek:

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, OEM alloys are not super lightweight by any means. There are some super-light aftermarket wheels, but they are super expensive. Used OEM wheels for Escape were cheap by comparison. And, even though they say it does not come with TPMS and center cap, but they all did, so that was close to $200 saving right there.

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that was one of the reasons I decided to get rid of our Pathfinder SUV. We do miss the larger cargo room and three rows of seating, but I was getting tired of doing the tire changes on this beast. I never weighted the 20" wheel/tire combo that was on the Pathfinder, but I am sure it was close to 80lb per wheel/tire. Escapes 18" stock and 17" winter were far more "liftable".

#13 Salamander_King, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The heaviest I'm lifting right now (occasionally, if my son leaves it to me) is our son's CX-5 wheels. I did develop a back-saving technique:

1. Wearing steel-toe boots*, get the wheel positioned and oriented just about where it should be, except on the slab.

2. Sit facing the wheel, hook my toes under the tire at around 5 and 7 o'clock.

3. While steadying with my hands, lift the wheel with my toes, then guide it onto the studs, get one nut started. (This takes your back out of the equation completely.)

* Not mandatory, but I think they help. I hardly ever "need" steel toes, but they tend be good quality boots.

With our 3rd gen Prius, CDN Touring model, the 17" OEM wheel/tire combo is noticeably heavier than the 15" snows on Corolla steel rims currently in use. Plan is to switch the Corolla rims for some Prius Plug-In alloys next fall. :)

#14 Mendel Leisk, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    cyberpriusII and Stevewoods like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Mendel Leisk how heavy are the 17s? I’ve only ever had 15s on the Prius (the Gen 4 gets serviced at the shop so I’ve never actually taken them off myself). The 15s are so light. Easily a one-hander.

The 20s on the other hand… :confused:

Luckily when I change tyres, I change them with friends so I have help.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd guesstimate the 17''s on OEM alloys (tire/wheel combo) are about 20~25% more than 15's on steel rims, just via my back-meter. I really should weigh both combos while doing a swap, when they're both available.

Just for notes, here's some part no's:

15" corolla steel rim: 42611-02471
    17" (3rd gen) Prius Touring: 42611-47211
    15" (3rd gen) Prius Plug-In: 42611-47360

I tried finding some shipping weights, without success.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For Gen4 PP stock 15" OEM alloy and stock Ecopia tire, the weight was 30.3lb. With the same tire on an aftermarket steel 15" wheel was 38.3lb. They were light enough for sure.

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No idea how heavy my winter vs "all seasons" are, but I have been known to use a floor jack to pump up the tire to the threaded studs on the wheel.

Damn, as Mick Jagger said, "what a drag it is getting old,"

cyberpriusII likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know Tire Rack at least publishes tire weights in the specs.

20. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well... not including wheels, My oem all seasons are 27.11 pounds, each and the X-Ice are 26.4 or something like that...so add 30-something for the wheels and you are talking 60-65 pounds or so.

Again, giving them a ride on a floor jack helps put them in place.

cyberpriusII likes this.