1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost at 100k what do I need done?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SimplySandy, Sep 15, 2015.

1. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will be taking it to the dealer to get it done just wanted to know what changes I need to be concerned about... I love this car....

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you look in your booklet, the warranty and maintenance one? Just wondering about stuff above/beyond that?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cabin filter & Engine air-filter are really easy to DIY, I have a couple of ScanGauge IIs so I'm able to see if the system is throwing up any errors, but the other checks, wheel rotation and fluid changes I leave to the dealer. You'll also get good advice from the experts here at PriusChat! Good luck! - hope this helps - Wil :)

348 likes this.
  4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just had our 100k service. I think they flushed the coolant, but otherwise it was the routine synthetic oil change.

I tried quizzing them about the main battery, But they insisted that so long as there are no error codes, then they have no way of knowing how the battery is holding up.

For mine they said it will need brake work on the rear, and a new valve cover gasket at the next servicing.

5. SimplySandy

SimplySandy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought they had to change the transaxle oil? The want $250 for the service, need to call them and ask what is included...

6. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealers have been known to upsell valve cover gaskets. If the engine is leaking oil around the cover it could have been done at your 100,000. It's not like "we don't see it leaking now, but it will before your next service".

Look at the top and bottom of the engine with a flashlight and look for oil/grease/dirty engine. If you see something, ask a friend that knows cars to take a look.

I have an old truck that has an oil pan leak. It's been doing that since 40,000 miles when the dealer pulled the engine to replace an oil pump. I just live with it. Less than 1 qt. every 5000 miles.

I think they're just trying to sell an unneeded service. But, get a second opinion from a trusted source.

MERGED

$250 is very expensive for a transaxle fluid replacement. You can buy the fluid from Amazon for about $40. It's just taking out two drain plugs, replacing one plug, filling the fluid, then replacing the second plug. There is no filter. At the most, you should only pay $100. And at that you're paying $60 labor for 15 minutes work.

If you buy some car stands, a catch pan, some tools, and a filler hose, you could do the job yourself, and change the oil every 10,000 miles. Will save a lot of money.

I know many people don't have the desire or ability to do simple fluid changes, but find a cheaper source than $250. You are getting robbed.

#6 HGS, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup on all this. Well, except resorting to Amazon for the fluid: at our local dealership I can buy liters of Toyota ATF-WS for $9.32 (Canadian money, that's like $2 US haha).

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just completed the 100k mile maintenance on my car (see thread below). This is all from the Maintenance Manual with the exception of the Transaxle fluid (recommended on here) and the Spark Plug change (120k miles in the manual).

I would do these items and nothing more without proof of need.

I have a receipt from Toyota attached to give you an idea of the cost of fluids, washers, plugs, etc.

100k Mile Maintenance | PriusChat

9. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a YouTube video on how to do a transaxle fluid change. If you have a friend that can do this, maybe you can give them a few bucks or take them to dinner.