1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost Died on road - but may now have issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zardoz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It had to happen, with over 250k miles on the car, I ALMOST got stranded.
    I could really use your advice as to what happened and how to fix without going to the dealer.

Got in the car down town and started it as normal or so I thought for a moment. As I was driving I noticed that the speed-o and its associated displays were off. The touch screen was up ... sort of. The miles per gallon info and tank mileage were blank.

I pulled off the road and attempted to turn the car off. It would not respond to the Power button. I then remembered the Emergency Off of holding the button until it shuts down. That worked.

At that point the Power button had the green LED on. I tried to restart and got only the check engine but then noticed that the ac / radio etc displays were on and operating. It would not drive. I pressed the Power button again and the car started again with only some systems working. Note battery was charging during this time. I limped it to Toyota just to realize it was Sunday.

Once there it was caught in a loop. If I turned off the car by holding the Power button, the ac and radio stuff stayed on. If I hit button again the engine would start. There was no way to totally power off the car for the night.

Then, I don't know what happened.. I was looking in the Owners Manual for inspiration and when I pressed the button again, all was well. Everything powered up normally. When I got home, it powered off normally. But, what about tomorrow?

What happened? What corrective actions are needed?

Thanks for reading this!

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Everything you described sounds to me like the combination meter is acting up. There is a extended warranty that has been issued on that part. Refer to the attached document for more info.

According to Toyota you should be able to hold down the power button for three seconds and the system should shut down. A few here on PC have reported the Prius still not shutting down after the three second interval.

Best advice, have the car checked out by Toyota. Advise them of the speedo (combination meter) not working and the shut down problems you experienced. Also refer to the attached document.

FYI, there is a time constraint on the warranty extension. Your is close to the cut off date. Again, refer to the attached file for more info.

Attached Files: