1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost Fully Charged, but only 1 blue light illuminated?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by ride43, Dec 8, 2017.

1. ride43

ride43 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I charged at home on 110 power and I stopped charging when the battery was almost full and said 40 minutes left. I live on a steep hill, so immediately the engine kicked on going down hill I believe to throw off excess charge. The Green battery indicator was completely full as well. So I am pretty sure it was a full charge, yet only one blue light was lit and one flashed, while the inside still said 40 minutes remaining at the time I unplugged.

Has anyone else had inconsistency like this?

2. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    have you ever seen the others come on? do you know they work?

3. ride43

ride43 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm glad you mentioned it. I had not payed attention before, so I just now finished charging at a chargepoint and can verify that I had 2 fully lit bulbs with the third blinking. I unplugged just a little bit before it was finished.

So I wonder if there is a difference between being on 110V at home that caused the lights to not register correctly. I'll have to check that again as well next time.

Anyone else notice their lights not registering correctly?

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not inconsistent, it's just not good design.

If the second one is flashing, the charge is less than 100%. If the third one is flashing, the charge is 100% and it's in "taper charge" or "cell balancing".

You might think it's 1/3 - 2/3, full, but it isn't. It's more like 50% - 100% - taper.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. ride43

ride43 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent thank you! That explains everything now. You are totally right I was expecting the 1/3, 2/3, 3/3.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, that would make more sense. I can't tell you why they did what they did, but there you go.

By the way, those numbers are approximate. I've seen anywhere from 97% to 100% when number three starts flashing, and I'm just guessing about when number 2 starts. But it's somewhere in the middle.