1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost joined the ranks of the elite..then.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Druglord, Aug 3, 2006.

1. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]297619[/snapback]</div>
    Or in my case, if your car is a POS and you don't want a private buyer coming after you when the engine seizes in a week, you go with the trade in! :lol:

2. 4chi

4chi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]297619[/snapback]</div>
    But you do have to factor in the whole sales tax saving thing if you live in a state where you are only taxed on the difference between the trade in value and the new car price. That can make tradeing in not so bad.

For example:

My jurisdiction has a 7.6% sales tax.

Prius price = 26,135
    My current car trade in value = 19,000

So I pay sales tax only on the difference: $26,135 - $19,000 = $7,135 x .076 = $542.26 in tax

If I sell my current car privately, I'd pay tax on the full sales price on the Prius: $26,135 x .076 = $1986.26

So I'd have to sell my car privately for more than $20,444 to make up the sales tax saving by trading it in for $19,000.

Just another thing to think about.

3. creamer

creamer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Druglord @ Aug 3 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]296881[/snapback]</div>
    In other words, a car salesperson acted like....a stereotypical salesperson. If you're going to pass up the car because of that, then that's your loss.

You did the right thing by walking away from a deal that wasn't going well. You've always got to be prepared to do that. It would've been worse if you'd bought the car, and hated the car because you were resentful of the trade-in.

But there are a lot of dealers out there (no pun intended). Go to a different one. Warn them why you walked away from the previous dealer, without naming names. Bring a printout of the kbb values of your Acura. Don't be afraid to go on the waitlist, as the dealer might have more leverage over you with a car that's already available on the truck (if you're unwilling to wait, then they know you're desperate). And if things don't go well at that dealership, you may need to go further afield -- but that's OK, as cars are mobile creatures.

Just curious: what type of car will you be buying instead? And what sort of establishment will you buy it at?

One last thing: I don't think of it as joining "the ranks of the elite" so much as joining "the ranks of the people who bought a mighty cool car."

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Aug 4 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]297619[/snapback]</div>
    How so? I have paid off my vehicle and now I'm going to trade it in. Being that it's my only car, it would be a logistical nightmare to figure out how to sell my car, then get myself to a dealership the same day and buy a car which may or may not be in stock. Then get stuck with a bad deal because of desperation.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 4 2006, 05:33 AM) [snapback]297584[/snapback]</div>
    Oh dear me no, daron, your abhorrent, well-displayed (or rather VERY MUCH displayed) opinions were what moved you down the scale, not just plain old knee jerk liberalism (or liberals). Have a nice day! :)

6. Druglord

Druglord New Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for the great responses I have gotten. I didn't expect so much, both positive and negative. Anyway, I think this is one of the most dedicated sites, as far as the people go, to their cars. I've been to several sites. I believe that is how you honestly find out about a car. You find out what the dealer doesn't want you to know. Or most of the time thet just don't know in the first place. I tend to overanalyze in almost every financial aspect of my life. This particular dealer had the color I wanted and the option package I wanted. Nobody else locally has Magnetic Gray. Maybe in the near future I'll be a frequent poster. Who knows.
    Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'll keep checking in. By the way, in case nobody thought about it, I'm a pharmacist. :)

7. BobZ

BobZ New Member

We go in to get our car appraised and ..........................BAMM!!!.....................horrible trade!!! I think a lot of these dealers feel people are so desperate to get out of cars to get into the prius that we will take any crazy trade.

I got raped on my trade too.... :eek: :eek: But I wanted the car and I got it :D :D

8. ivfarmboy

ivfarmboy New Member

He does bring up a point, if you are looking into a Prius they are going to treat you worse on a trade in than any other car on their lot. Happened to me and then I found a great used one next door. The Dealership, Suzuki, that had the Prius gave me what I wanted for my Tundra. Now I had a long history with the Toyota dealership, Tundra was purchased there and my Corolla, and they still tried to snake me for the Tundra trade. You know if you put a value on your time, I am a self employed consultant, then selling a vehicle yourself is a major pain and I dont know if savings... Having to deal with people that make appointments and break them, tell you one price then try to last minute lower them -- Not worth it and let the dealers have the money and deal with it. I tried selling multiple vehicles and man it is just angering, not worth the time and money I put into it.

There are dealers in rural areas that might have them in stock because they are not as sought after as in cities. I know this one checked out great when I did diagnostic at Toyota and the Suzuki dealer had had it for 5 months or longer. So I would check the rural Toyota dealers near you. Just an option... I know there are some dealers around Fresno that are quick to get them...

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Druglord @ Aug 9 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]300564[/snapback]</div>
    Again, welcome druglord. SOME of us DO think about it! B) (As phrased by a friend of mine when she was in grad school for anthropology, "Context, [rufaro], context!"

10. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Aug 3 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]296959[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CONGRATS!

I think you handled your new car purchase deal, just like a pro!

Noticed that you have a #7. It seems like many shoppers can only afford fairly basic Prius's. I have a #7 also. Upgraded to leather, however. Then I found out that they gave me Naugahyde! I am still trying to figure out what to do about that unpleasant surprise.

Good luck -

11. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had originally been shopping for a #5 but I felt I was getting a great deal and took the #7. I thought I didn't need/want the nav but I have found I do use it. I have used it to detour around construction and I used it to find a new dr's office.