1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost Scvratched my PiP today...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SLOW_RR, Sep 22, 2013.

1. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Loved watching this video.. Think we should create a new thread for those of us with dash cams showing everyone some of the worst drivers in America. I decided to put my dash cam back up after I watched your video.

The reason I bought it was because my last car was hit by a 20-year-old who rounded a corner at about 50 mph on a 25 mph mountain road, I had to swerve to get out of his way as he slammed into my left rear wheel barrel, removing the back bumper.

He blamed me. We both ended paying for our own cars. :(

2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, there has got to be one in the mirror side for bright lights coming from behind, but I'm not sure about the front. However, there are other mirrors in their line that do lots of other things, like dimming your own headlights, so it may be that all of them come with a place for a front-facing sensor. Anyway, I'm going to test it out for a few days before permanently mounting the camera bracket on the glass.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, figured it out today. If the front sensor is blocked while driving in daylight, the rearview mirror goes dark, as though bright lights are shining from the rear. I just need to mount the camera so that light can get to that sensor. I had temporarily attached it directly to the mirror in order to try the garage door control, which works just fine with it there.

4. Godzuki

Godzuki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice avoidance! What's your cam setup? Great video!

5. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought this one: Amazon.com: HD 720P Dual Lens IR Night Vision Car DVR Camera Dash Cam Video Recorder Motion Detection: Car Electronics Only problem is the manual is written in Chinese very poorly translated into Pigeon English which is completely unintelligible... I spent several hours trying to set the time and date on it with no luck. It does produce good video, but I would like to be able to some other simple things with it and have no clue (several icons in the menu are only in Chinese characters that lead to other Chinese Characters which don't go anywhere...).

Godzuki likes this.
  6. domer1970

domer1970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In Russia there have been so many disputes about accident liability that it common for cars sport wide angle video cams on dash. Go to YouTube and search for "Russian Road Rage" compilations and hold on tight for a very bumpy ride.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I've seen a bunch of those videos, just plain crazy.