1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost time for the first fill-up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by A.Reyes, Jan 30, 2013.

1. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've had my car for a 13 days. Almost time for a fill up. I'm currently at 300 miles and am at 3 bars a gas. Is this normal? I'm somewhat disappointed in this. I was expecting at least 400. Is it because the ICE isn't broken in? The temps here jump from 55-75 degrees. I'm running the TRD 17" rims.

I'm already saving more money on gas with this save. My Impreza has 15.9 gal. tank capacity running 93 octane. I'm tuned for 91. But that's a different story. Last week I got 351 miles before I had to fill up.

Any suggestions?? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359553424.257601.jpg

2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's winter. Cold temperatures decrease MPG's. You have 17" rims, that lowers mpgs. If you've been driving through snow/rain/wind, that will lower MPG's. You are new to the car, that will lower MPG's. Your car isn't broken in, that will lower MPG's.

Your displayed average is 45.6 mpg, likely you will find you have a calculated value around 43 mpg. There are sticky threads on the site about why mileage is lower in the Winter that covers many items in the first paragraph and others (tire pressure, etc). There is also a nice video on driving the Prius that you should check out already.

Don't fret too much. Come summertime, you'll be singing the praises of the car.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So far from what've read here 1 bar = 1 gallon. So 300 miles / 7 gallons = 42.9 mpg. That's a perfectly acceptable number for a Prius. Keep in mind, winter mileage is lower than summer mileage due to the cold. Also, if it's your first tank, you can't be sure the dealer filled the tank completely. They might have filled enough to show full as you drive off. We don't know. Basically, what you have is on the low side of acceptable and chances are good that it will rise at next fill up.

Oh right, manual says break-in period is first 500 miles.

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Once you fill up, a decent rule of thumb is that you can drive about 10x the displayed MPG and still have about 1.5 gallons of gas left in the tank. Thus, on your next tank, if you had a displayed 45.0 mpg, you could drive 450 miles, fill it up and the car would take roughly, 10.5 gallons (+/- 0.2 gallons) of gas. Drop dead empty is very close to 11x displayed. I wouldn't push it to 11x. Regardless of when you fill up, you will be using regular unleaded and less amounts, so you won't be paying the much higher price that you did with the Subaru.

Our climate in the Bay Area is a bit warmer. I routinely drive 650 - 700 miles between fill ups in the summer, but in the winter, I'm closer to 550 - 600 miles per tank. Colder temps and winter blend gas are the main culprits.

5. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    By your own numbers you will get right around 430-450 miles on this tank easy and then you will fill up with about 9.9 gallons or so.
    So you will go almost the same as your Impreza except with 6 less gallons. figure that 6 gallons would get you another 250-275 more miles... so even on your lower mpg with winter temps and on 17" wheels you are crushing your old car.
    Always have to factor in that much smaller gas tank.

6. A.Reyes

A.Reyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks!! You guys put my mind at ease a little bit. I live in a fairly warm climate. I heard it gets stupid hot over here though. Not looking foward to that!

7. Mamskas

Mamskas New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am also a recent owner but chose not to go new because there is no reason to buy a new car. The dealer filled it to maximum on December 31 and by January 18, I was very near empty.

Driving technique is huge for this car. Out of the box a Prius sucks if you drive like a regular car; hammer down to accelerate, drive it fast, and don't care. Technique is very important especially for winter driving. I finally settled into a technique of slow acceleration, mixing use of the battery and ICE, better regenerative braking, and finally seeing 50 MPG again and rising every day.

Accelerating slowly may not be your cup of tea or the driver behind you including driving 10-15 miles per hour below the speed limit (a limit after all as in ... go no faster than _____) but doing so with alternating cycles of battery - ICE - battery with no highway driving at all and a 15 mile commute in traffic to boot has shown me promise in this little vehicle that could.