1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alterations to accelerator pedal

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by SnoozinJTD, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SnoozinJTD

SnoozinJTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here you can see how the hand controls fit onto the pedals. The driver sits with the hand controls to the side, holding them with one hand and the steering wheel with the other.
    IMG_7177.JPG

The rod going to the brake attaches as shown. The wingnuts are tightened until secure and evenly strandling the pedal (I could have evened it out a bit more).
    IMG_7180.JPG

Here on the gas pedal, even after getting over the height of the wedge, the plates do not have a flat surface to securely clamp on to. If any pressure is applied, they simply slide up the neck of the pedal. We found this out the hard way in the rental, and had to pull over carefully into a parking lot since only the brake could be used suddenly.

IMG_7182.JPG

Here is what the position of the hand controls looks like from the front. If the gas pedal were flat like the brake pedal the two plates would stay clamped in place.
    IMG_7183.JPG

#21 SnoozinJTD, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    torrealta and Prodigyplace like this.
  2. SnoozinJTD

SnoozinJTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello!
    Any thoughts since photos were posted of the hand controls?

I think our next step is to get an appointment at our local dealership and see what guidance they can provide. I don’t want to possibly change any safety features by taking a dremel to the pedal.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    SnoozinJTD likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They just mention hand controls generically. They show nothing available for the Prius. The Prius v is not even listed.

Perhaps the OP could get an accelerator pedal from a used Gen 3 Prius or Prius v and modify it. They would still have the original pedal as a backup or for when selling the car.

SnoozinJTD likes this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Common Adaptive Equipment
    Hand Controls, Steering Devices and Left Foot Accelerators are available for all vehicles."

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SnoozinJTD likes this.
  7. SnoozinJTD

SnoozinJTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the leads!

I wish this were simpler, as for the past ten years for all of our Toyota’s all we had to do was screw the hand controls on and off in less than 5min depending on who was driving at the time.

8. SnoozinJTD

SnoozinJTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My concern with a mobility/alteration company is that they may not understand the mechanics specific to a Prius accelerator pedal, and/or try to sell us a less portable hand control model that shouldn’t be necessary, and isn’t in my bf’s budget.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  9. SnoozinJTD

SnoozinJTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We don’t want to purchase additional mobility equipment, which seems to be the purpose of the program, but perhaps a representative can work with us to figure out the pedal issue. I’ve got the Phone number now thanks to the link you posted :)

pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. torrealta

torrealta New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    -

I have the same problem. The photos provided in this thread are excellent. Questions: What is that triangle composed of? Is it merely a plastic-like substance? Would cutting down the triangle (or delta) harm the pedal's structural integrity? Would removal of the delta affect the accelerator's performance? I see that the underside of the pedal was fairly flat until 2010, when Toyota redesigned its throttle pedal, adding the delta, in response to a furor over pedals sticking open, seemingly due to interference with floor mats. I have a similar hand control device. When the brake is depressed, the throttle is affirmatively lifted, rendering the throttle pedal return spring redundant. (It works conversely with the brake, which is affirmatively lifted when the throttle is depressed.) So, can that delta be cut down without impairing the integrity or the function of the pedal? Can anyone with Toyota understand this need and provide a more elegant solution, such as a 2020-15 throttle pedal assembly without the delta on the underside of the pedal?

11. torrealta

torrealta New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V

I heard from a repair shop, saying that cutting down the throttle pedal would be no problem. I haven't heard from Toyota.

12. nathan SYLVIA

nathan SYLVIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, I'm brand new to this forum (1st post) and stumbled across this thread. I don't yet own a Prius, and am doing my research, but I'd like to offer an idea if I may. I will draw it up when I get home and post later.