1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative Auxiliary Battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by PriusII&C, Aug 3, 2022.

1. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 10 years of usage, the 12V auxiliary battery on my 2012 Prius C is quite weak. After calling the Toyota dealer ($236 + tax + core-return), I decided to find an alternative battery. Bought a 35 AH AGM battery from Harbor Freight, and replaced the original one this morning. If anybody wants to go the same route, this is how I did it:

1. Drill a hole at the top corner away from the positive post for the gas tube.
    2. Remove the positive cable's internal plastic holder and the terminal connector, align both holes (one in the cable's metal plate and one in the battery post) for the positive terminal, put two nuts in between, and tight them together with the original bolt and nut.
    3. Open the negative cable's terminal connector, align its holes with the battery's post hole, and tight them together with the original bolt and nut.
    4. Put a 2x4 on top of the battery below the holding metal bracket.

I don't know how long the battery will last. But for less than 1/4 of the OEM battery price ($50 vs. $236 Battery1.jpg Battery2.jpg Positive2.jpg ), I am willing to give it a try.

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done! nothing ventured, nothing gained

3. Greurich

Greurich New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    How safe/wise/necessary is it to drill the hole for the vent?
    I understand SLA batteries may release hydrogen. Don't want to go Boom.
    Since I can't get most battery products shipped (live on island), and I didn't want to go dealer, etc., I wound up purchasing a CSB EVH12390 12V 39AH battery.
    I had not seen this thread at time I did this (a month ago) - here's what I did differently -
    I didn't drill a hole in battery and I didn't connect the vent hose to anything;
    I got a set of battery flag to top post adapters - used 1 on positive terrminal so didn't modify the stock positive battery connection, and I used equivalent of an alternator or starter motor cable to replace the Toyota battery ground cable (old cable available if go back to stock).
    The battery I got is shorter, but a bit wider, but all the trim goes back without an issue and the battery is well-secured using the stock setup.

(I saw something on another website that gave me impression there is some sort of temperature sensor in the + battery connection/wiring.)

FYI - My 2014 PriusC with <9000 miles on it (I'm original owner) recently failed to start.
    By the time I realized (over a few days - I don't have to use the car) that it was the 12v aux battery, and I decided to try a portable battery car jump starter, the jumpstarter wouldn't even try as the aux battery voltage was under 9V - (I took the 12V battery out, and I was able to get it charged/functional and it would hold enough charge to work - but I thought time to put new battery in.

I also bought a cig-lighter voltage meter so I can monitor voltage.
    This CSB EVH12390 setup is working well, I wish I had done some of the voltage readings with original working oem setup before I got the battery discharged to damage-danger levels -
    Once the dash shows 'READY' - the car is 'started' & 12v battery is charging off the equivalent of a car's alternator (in this case, it's effectively running off the hybrid battery system)
    When car is in ready mode, voltage reading ~14.2-14.4, or ~13.2-13.5 (I'm guessing lower voltage is 'float' charge)
    When car turned off/acc - voltage will drop to ~13.2 and fairly quickly drop to 12.9 and continue to drop, albeit much less quickly.
    Leave the car for a few days, battery voltage will be around 12.2V. It can also be 12.2V after a couple hours of OFF.
    From what I've read about car batteries, I'd expect a higher voltage from a healthy, fully-charged battery - this battery I bought is supposed to be new & it does have recent date code & purchased from reputable local battery dealer.
    The spec sheet on this battery, available from official Taiwan mfr's website, says "Nominal voltage" is 12V.
    Nominal capacity is 39Ah @ 20hr-rate to 1.75V per cell (which would be 10.5V for the 6-cell 12V battery)

(Once I recharged and 'treated' the 2014 OEM 12v battery, it too will settle down at 12.2V for a few days of vehicle off, and has similar voltage readings when the vehicle is On. 'Treated' = various bench charge/discharge/cycles before I put it back in vehicle. During the life of the vehicle, there have been times where the car is not turned on for more than 30 days - and it has never failed to power unlock/start, etc.)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    an accident in the battery area is probably the only danger. idk about drilling a hole, sounds dangerous, but i'm not sure.
    a lot of people put in cheap tractor batteries and etc., just depends on your level of risk tolerance.

5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the hole is drilled very close to the top, it is in the gap (where the safety valves will release the gas if needed) between the battery's top lid and top cover, so I think it is safe.

Is it wise / necessary? It's your call.

Where did you get the 12.2V for your new battery? If it is from the dash of the car, there could be a voltage drop from the battery terminals. For my lifeback, it is about 0.5V. However, if you measure it directly from the terminals, it might be low. FWIW, my Harbor Freight battery holds above 13 V for over a month if left unconnected. Even for the 13 years old OEM battery on my lifeback, it measures 12.2V after parked for a day connected.