1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative Therapy for Wound Care

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by RobH, Aug 2, 2009.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok... talking points i want to hit:

1. physicians are scientists. there were a ton of med school-bound students in my class last spring, and they were all science majors. we expected as much scientific literacy and critical scientific analysis from them as we did from the future scientists in the crowd. additionally, we imparted to them that scientific knowledge is as much a part of the practice of medicine as bedside manner. medicine is based upon science. science carries over into medical practice. the two go hand in hand, and are not extricable from one another.

2. the atomic bomb n=1 and a safe, effective result with n=1 are not even in the same universe of scientific analysis. rob, you know better than to try this cheap trick. a single within-chemical breakdown reaction will follow the laws of physics, invariably. in america alone there are over 300 million people, all with differing genetic backgrounds, lifestyles, etc. you do NOT want one person to be representative of that entire population and base medical practice upon that. the reason we need sufficient sample sizes are to have proper controls (does the drug work better than placebo, if so, how effective is it, and does it work in most people?) also, the more people in a sample, the more likely we are to find negative side effects and catch them before something dangerous hits the market.

in pure statistical theory, if you require such a high n to achieve significance, you're right. this means the effect is small. but we're talking about an EXTREMELY variable population. increasing population variability also requires an increase in n to ensure the effect exists.

3. this claim of natural substances being safe, ok, less harmful than synthetics, whatever- has bothered me FOR EVER.

let me say that again. it has bothered me FOR EVER. more so now that my area of expertise heavily involves natural products pharmacology.

i'm in neuropsychopharmacology. most recreational drugs are natural, plant-based substances. you cannot in the least, EVER, convince me that natural products are somehow more safe, or that we always have a way to handle the undesired side effects. people die from this stuff. often. poppy seed tea keeps killing college students because they think it's safe. why? because it's natural. what did we do before naltrexone? people just died. end of story.

if i never hear another person equate natural to safe or less harmful or any other qualifier over synthetic drugs again, it will be too soon. biologically active chemicals are biologically active chemicals. period. you really hit a pseudoscience nerve on that one.

4. blood vessels, unlike other parts of the body, do not catch a break when injured. you hurt your leg, pain keeps you off it. you can't just quit using a blood vessel. because they never catch a break, healing is more difficult. blood supply is not the only factor, unfortunately.

5. on the vaccine pseudocontroversy:
    putting all the information out there should not include distributing flat-out lies and calling them truth. claiming to inform the public based upon false information and labeling yourself a trusted source of information. period. there is no controversy that measles goes away until unvaccinated people start piling up, in which case it comes back. i could go on. how quickly we forget that coping with the death of a child was just a part of raising children not all that long ago, and the advent of vaccines (among other medical advances) curbed that.

2. Snowbell

Snowbell That's the cat! Snow...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just the thought of Chi Square leaves me tingling with anticipation!

Whether naltrexone or Narcan, I say this: let them die. These are not productive members of our society. I really see no sense whatsoever to sending an expensive, fully equipped ambulance with EMS workers inside, to an OD victim, pumping them full of Narcan, and bringing them back to life

Yes

Try heavy drinking. Oh wait, that was rhetorical, wasn't it?

My parents generation, and certainly previous generations, that was all too true and common. Nobody raised an eyebrow back then if informed a neighbors child died of TB, MMR, smallpox, polio, dysentery, cholera, typhus, meningitis, a ruptured appendix, whatever

Personally, I feel we have to go back to those times. For a 5 year period, ban all vaccines. Shut down all sewage treatment plants and dump raw s*** into rivers and lakes. Stop all primary and secondary potable water treatment, especially chlorination.

After a few months, people would be BEGGING for all that pesky science-fictiony stuff to return!

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do understand. the last 2 months of my phd (and the occasional week here and there throughout) involved 90-110 hour weeks. it sucked.

specifically nutrition? probably 1-2 classes back in undergrad. in related fields, i am well versed in physiology, particularly neurophysiology, cell physiology and enough of the other organ systems to understand drug action.

regardless of my nutrition-specific education, i'm perfectly well qualified to shoot down every lame scientific "study" that people here have tried to feed me.

5. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Science isnt an exact science.
    There are errors due to human error.There are errors due to fraud where studies are intentionally fudged .
    The Hormone Replacement Therapy studies are a good example of dumb error.The statistics were 180 degree misinterpreted for a decade.
    There are plenty of fudged studies .
    One recent example is the Gardasil vaccine.
    They did a double blind study,but the placebo wasnt a placebo,it was the inert aluminum base used in Gardasil.
    The side effects are alarming .

6. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some are, many are not. I like the ones who are constantly trying to figure out how to handle things better. The automatons don't get a return visit from me.

As an example of two doctors who could have been replaced with a simple computer program, my wife had problems with sciatica. The first time she had it treated by this doctor who gave her Soma. The pain was less, but she was so bombed out that she couldn't lead a normal life on the stuff. It eventually went away, but the problem was better than the solution offered by that doctor. She had a recurrence, and saw another doctor. She explained that she didn't want any Soma again, because she didn't like the experience. The doctor took a very condescending attitude, and wrote up an illegible prescription. When she got the prescription filled, it was Soma. Rather than take the Soma, she next went to a chiropractor. He did this magical back thumping, leg flipping act, and she was immediately much better. I've also had some back problems, and went to see the same chiropractor. While I don't understand any of the mechanisms of the treatment, I do know that I had to practically be carried in to see him. When he was done, I walked out normally. Score: allopathic doctors -2, chiropractor +2.

If we apply the "documented in the right peer reviewed medical journal" test that you like as proof of efficacy, then clearly Soma is proper choice. Two MDs made the connection, sciatica => prescribe Soma. Should we all wait for JAMA to publish studies that prove that chiropractic is a superior approach to sciatica than Soma? How long would you estimate that wait to be?

The point is that there is a lot more to medical treatment than what makes it into the Medline indexed journals. One journal that should be indexed by Medline, but isn't, is the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. It is a peer reviewed journal written by doctors, for doctors. Clearly a case of medical politics, as such giants of medical journalism as Newsweek, Consumer Reports, Reader's Digest, and Time magazines do qualify for inclusion. The archives are available at Welcome To Orthomolecular.org .

N=1 is the tipping point between a theory and a demonstration that something can happen.

Medical types constantly claim that nothing is true until proven with a double blind study. I've never even heard of using double blind in the hard sciences. Is physics not scientific because they don't obsess about double blind techniques? Do biochemists restrict their research to things that can be double blinded? Understanding mechanism well enough to make accurate predictions is a lot stronger proof than any blinding test.

Blinding severely restricts the questions that can be asked. How would you test a theory that says that eating green vegetables is healthier than eating hamburgers? Hypnotize half the subjects into believing that the foods were reversed? This is an important medical question that double blinding cannot cope with.

Dr. John Lee had a quote that went something like this: "If 9 out of 10 doctors agree on something, what does that 10th guy know that the other 9 don't?"

I never said that natural products are automatically safe. But the safety profile of them is generally known even before the therapeutic possibilities are considered. For example, mercury is a naturally occurring poison. But even as a poison, there are coping mechanisms already in place for dealing with it.

Sorry, but the score on the safety of natural substance versus synthetic is heavily in favor of natural. How many people die as a result of drug effects each year? 100,000? How many from vitamins? Zero. As Dr. Richard Kunin says, "If vitamins are so dangerous, where are the bodies?" There certainly are natural poisons, and there are people who don't know about them.

Poppy seed tea is a new one on me. But again, I'll say that the safety profile of it is known. Obviously not by the college students abusing it, but by people like you. You can't make a similar claim about a new synthetic drug until it has been extensively studied.

Is this the same poppy seed as they put on bagels?

How much does studying a substance impact the biochemistry of that substance? I get a real kick out of TV ads that sound like the FDA has given permission to a drug to treat some condition. BS may work in politics, but a substance is going to do whatever it does regardless of how many committees have voted about what it does.

---------

Two diabetes drugs that I really like are Lantus and Byetta. They both required (and got) intense scrutiny before being released for general usage. Byetta was a particularly squirrelly drug to approve, as a similar drug killed a number of people. Both are products that promote normal function, as opposed to most drugs that interfere with something. Lantus is more than just a slow insulin, it smoothes out both the peaks and the valleys of blood sugar. Byetta is a new substance based on a natural hormone that causes the pancreas to develop in the first place. But the natural product is too active for use in adults, and thus it had to be modified for human healing. I think they will both turn out to be excellent anti-aging drugs, used to prevent diabetes as well as the approved usage of coping with diagnosed diabetes. (off label of course, since aging is not a disease in America like it is in Italy or Sweden).

Vitamin D3 has been loose for a very long time. It doesn't need anywhere near the safety analysis that Lantus/Byetta require. It's so safe that it can be used on the suggestion that it might be effective. Many drugs are so dangerous that even the proper use of them is a tradeoff between known damage and hoped for benefits.

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    um, yes. you prefer wild speculation to systematic observation? i pointed out scientific fraud in the arginine literature, yet everyone was totally cool with it because they liked the result. so....

i think you mean that the results proved that the previous unproven speculation was wrong, and resulted in a major policy shift.

placebo is drug-delivery agent minus active ingredient. if i administer a drug dissolved in ethanol, the placebo (control) would be ethanol. the point is to demonstrate that the active ingredient is the source of the effect.

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No .
    They canceled the study midway because it was apparent that the testing proved that HRT caused heart disease ,stroke and perhaps more.
    The medical world concurred and HRT was no longer used.
    About a year ago someone realized that the statistics were all skewed because there was a preponderance of elderly women participating.
    When analyzed by age they realized that in younger women HRT actually prevents heart disease and stroke.While older women are more prone.
    So now the view is 180 degree from the original.

Aluminum as a placebo doesnt make a bit of sense to me.The control group gets as sick as the vaccine group so the vaccine is safe.
    Last I heard Aluminum may be a cause of Alzheimers.
    Anyway the vaccine is causing Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis,and more in kids who arent even sexually active .The vaccine will wear off by the time they are active.They guess it will last 5 years.Even if someone contracts HPV,it goes away by itself and there is a natural immunity after a few years.The vaccine only protects from a few strains anyway,its effective against %25 of the strains.
    Something is very wrong when kids are getting sick from a vaccine that isnt even necessary.
    The Pharma industry ,Merck in particular is making a fortune and they use bad science to push it.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    people who can't handle adaptation in response to input and further evidence (ie, a patient saying a drug does not work due to intolerable side effects) aren't exactly scientific thinkers, are they?

cough... i never said that stupid people didn't sometimes get MD degrees.

however, medical knowledge is based upon science. a medical degree is the result of the study of the science of the human physiology. that is not particularly debatable. whether or not the resulting degree-holder can handle individual variation in patient response, was not what i intended to imply.

nope. n=1 demonstrates nothing, on its own, in a living system. p<0.05 is the demonstrator.

it's called the placebo effect, and it is a complex part of human psychology. it is required when using human subjects. i believe i have discussed the placebo effect in previous posts.

the placebo effect does not exist in cell lines, stained tissues on microscope slides, cloned cDNAs, interactions between molecules, electrons, or really anything else that isn't human. double blind does not apply outside the clinic.

for non-clinical sciences, positive and negative controls are king.

mechanistic explanations are one thing, but again, going from cell signaling studies to treatments in humans fails to account for a WHOLE LOT. the vast majority of compounds that sounded promising, based upon mechanistic research, fail before reaching early stage human studies. this is why "basic" and "preclinical" research are distinct from clinical research. (and it's a part of why drug development is so expensive.)

alright, we're clearly getting some confusion here as to the purpose of placebo/blinding to the treatment condition.

the placebo effect often leads to spontaneous improvement in condition, which cannot be attributed to the active compound under examination. the only difference between the way the two groups of subjects are treated is that one group is receiving the active compound and one is not. neither the subjects nor the investigators know which group is which, hence the "double" blind part. this is to ensure that investigator bias is not a factor in the result either.

this study design is implemented to properly control conditions, leaving the presence or absence of the active compound as the only variable. this is the only way the effect of the active compound can be tested. i've said it before, if we're talking about introducing a chemical to alter a living system, a highly stringent standard of evidence is absolutely required.

clearly, this design can't be applied to diet unless you want to feed people indistinguishable tasteless mush made from either hamburgers or vegetables. for this, a correlational study would be a better fit. measure ingestive behavior: food intake, total calories, calories from fat, etc. exercise: minutes per day, intensity, etc. then measure physiologic correlates as interest you. there is likely far more than one variable here, so as i mentioned above, a strict causative relationship can't be demonstrated this way. we could, however, do a causative study in an animal model where standards of practice necessarily differ.

sure, tell that to the first person who overdosed on cocaine!

thanks to years upon years of systematic study, which led to the development of those methods :)

oh- that reminds me- you might be interested to know your much-hated statins were originally discovered in plants :)

how many people die as a result of intentional misuse, how many die due to negligence on the part of the MD (cough, the recent death of a certain famous singer), how many die because they have several MDs prescribing different prescriptions and those MDs don't know of each other, or other failures to do due diligence?

how many recreational drug deaths count in those drug death totals? many of those are natural extracts.

who said dangerous? i only argue ineffective for the advertised claims. there can be some adverse effects to fat-soluble vitamin overdose, but rarely death.

though if someone who has asthma relies on vitamin d rather than a flu shot, contracts flu and dies... how do we attribute that otherwise preventable death?

yeah... because the opiates have already been extensively studied. a long time ago. the difference? TIME.
    rewind many years, and the newly concentrated natural chemical called morphine is just as new and just as unstudied as the newly synthesized drugs of today. this has nothing to do with inherent safety and everything to do with relative newness.

yep- i don't know exactly how they do this, but some residues can be present on the seeds. the result is a tea with highly variable morphine concentration. you take too much, you're a goner. but you can't tell how much is too much due to the variability of the extract. cheap high turns into cheapened life.

you're right there. the FDA (my own gripes about the entire agency aside) is theoretically in place to review and approve/decline applications for permission to sell drugs as treatment for whatever condition. the FDA is intended to prevent drug companies from making false claims. hence the "permission" thing. but as i said, i've got lots of issues with that agency.

it may be used on the suggestion, but what does that get you? maybe it works, maybe you're wasting your time. maybe you're delaying getting actual effective treatment.

10. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: So I'm about to lose my right foot.

Your Dr. Prendergast sounds like a quack and scares the hell out of me.

I am a doctor and sometimes hear about these other MDs who fell off the deep end. They prey on gullible people like you. Makes me sad.

- From a Doctor

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: So I'm about to lose my right foot.

For someone charged with making complex decisions, you seem to rely an awful lot on simplistic grunts. I suggest that you try to put away the duck whistle, take off the blinders, and try to deal with each of the issues mentioned. Yeah, thinking is scary.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what blinders are you talking about, Rob? evidence-based blinders? rejection of belief-based medicine out-of-hand? i for one am glad to have seen a post from a medical doctor who rejects non-evidence-based medicine.

really, the ones who should be thinking about this more are the proponents of "alternative" medicine. they fight to create a different, lower standard for their medical practices. they really should think about why they NEED a different standard. science doesn't validate our claims, they argue. we shouldn't be subjected to the gold standard of clinical trials and all this mumbo jumbo to get our important unproven discoveries out to the people who may garner no benefit from it whatsoever because it's unproven.

they have zero scientific credibility. they operate based upon false claims and conspiracy theories (ie: "Big Pharma doesn't want you to know about THIS 100% effective treatment that costs you pennies!") and they take advantage of those who are afraid or simply don't know better.

that does not sound like the kind of medicine i would ever want to participate in as a researcher or as a patient. i have far higher ethical standards for my own work.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's an overstatement. here is the press release:
    NHLBI - Press Release

the active compound is the variable here. in order to prove the active compound is safe and effective, they compare it to the same injection minus active compound. certainly a saline injection group would have been useful, but i didn't design the study.

we have yet to link intake directly to AD development. also, daily food intake leads to consumption of 5-10x the amount of aluminum found in the vaccine. it is also a common ingredient in deodorant. if you're worried about aluminum, there are far bigger things to tackle than 225 micrograms in a vaccine that may prevent cancer.

see the article i linked below.

it is effective against some but not all major strains associated with cancer. many people who have HPV don't know they have it, and a lot of people don't get regular physical exams to catch the HPV or the abnormal cervical cell growth. once you've got cancer, there's no going back.

many medical organizations agree that it should not be mandatory.

an analysis published last month of reported events through VAERS (a public vaccine adverse event reporting system anyone can use... someone managed to report that a vaccine turned him into the Hulk if that tells you how lax they are with determining causation) found that most reported events are not above background levels in the general population. exceptions: syncope (fainting) and VT events.

Postlicensure safety surveillance for quadrivalent...[JAMA. 2009] - PubMed Result

14. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (Galaxee - I'm not writing this towards you, I'm just quoting you because I agree with everything you are saying.)

A really great read on alternative medicine is "Trick or Treatment." They try as hard as they can to be non biased and discuss the history of many different types of alternative medicine (homeopathy, chiropractics, and acupuncture.)

For anyone who is interested, the authors of that book have found after reviewing many quality studies that homeopathy does absolutely nothing, and chiropractics and acupuncture are basically no better than taking a single tylenol, and they are only almost equal to that 1 tylenol for very limited types of pain relief. They are way more expensive, take many visits to the "practitioner" (when you have to make so many visits, you must ask yourself is this treatment working or is my body healing naturally?), and run a risk of death. Yes, western medicine runs a risk of death too, but the difference is our evidence-based medicine actually works for patients. It's worth risking death if you can actually improve your situation. It's not worth risking death over something that is clinically proven to be ineffective.

This is how I think: It is called alternative for a reason. If it were clinically proven to work then it would be adopted by western medicine and it would be used. I will not offer something to my patients that I do not believe will help them. It costs them money (most insurance companies wont pay for alternative/worthless treatments), and it gives them false hope. It also wastes their time and could hurt them. If some alternative medicine treatment is scientifically shown to be effective then I will offer it to my patients.

Another thing to consider is that these alternative treatment practitioners do not have the training that an MD has. They do not have the knowledge or the experience we have. They do not learn things in any detail and are not trained to handle emergencies in case they happen. What are you going to do when the alternative medicine person causes you to have an anaphylactic reaction? Or if you get a staph infection from an acupuncture needle? Do you think they can prescribe you antibiotics? Will that chiropractor be able to save your life when he severs your vertebral artery? (It has happened!)

(By the way, I was asked to give a talk to some massage therapy students recently. On the wall I saw a Reflexology chart. SIGH! Talk about your completely moronic alternative medicines.)

15. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The term "quack" is frequently used by one doctor to express dismay at how another doctor treats his patients. It generally means that the "quack" doctor has stepped outside the first doctor's range of familiar treatments. And in doctorland, that is a major sin.

I keep getting accused of being anti-research. I'm not. It's just that there is precious little research that answers the questions that come up. Dr. Len Saputo says that only "15% of what we do in mainstream medicine is good science". The reference is at time 9:23 in the uTube video YouTube - Health care or disease care? Pt2 His book "A Return to Healing" is described at http://www.areturntohealing.com/ .

It would seem that at least 85% of the choices of medical treatment have to be made on a basis other than medical science. I'm not advocating that, just describing the situation faced by all medical consumers. Where good science is available, it should be used. And where it is ambiguous or non-existent, then everyone just has to operate on their own best judgment. That's usually just following tradition, or perhaps copying a treatment from something that seems similar. Unlike in academic research, a clinician does not have the option of rejecting a patient because they don't fit the interest of the moment.

You're using a very broad brush to discredit everything that those practitioners use. My personal experience is that a homeopathic product called "Arnica Gel" is very effective in reducing the discomfort of sore muscles from overexercise. In general, I find the homeopathic theory to be far fetched at best, but at least one product labeled homeopathic is effective on me.

I mentioned some personal experience with chiropractic earlier. But to recap, I had a severe pain in my back that made it almost impossible to even walk into the chiropractor's office. After a 20 minute treatment, I walked out normally with much reduced pain. The only similar experience I ever had with a MD was when I had a severe reaction to a bee sting. The sting was on my forearm, and my entire arm was swollen. My dermatologist gave me a shot of ACTH, and the entire reaction was gone in something like 20 minutes. That was about 50 years ago, and I've never heard of the treatment since then. Today it would be pregnisone, and it certainly wouldn't work in 20 minutes.

When Nixon opened the door to China, there was a delegation of medical and press people who went there to bring back knowledge of Chinese medicine. The video I most remember was of a patient undergoing open-heart surgery. The anesthesia used was acupuncture, and the patient was fully conscious. At the time I thought western medicine would learn how to do that. I'm still waiting.

All MDs have the same basic education. There are no schools that teach alternative medicine. Yet there are numerous MDs who find themselves labeled as alternative. In general, they start out practicing conventional medicine, and encounter cases that just don't work with the tools they were taught about in school. So they do there own search of the medical literature, and find that there are many more ways of addressing those cases. They try out some of what they've read about, and some of the techniques work for them. If the techniques don't work, then they drop them and remain "conventional". But when they do work, all of a sudden they are branded "alternative".

I attended a talk by a PhD medical researcher from UCLA. His field was immunology, and he had studied the effects of the immune system on cancer. His comments were not kind to oncologists, he actually accused them of unnecessarily killing their patients. For his efforts, he earned the "dangerous alternative" label from the oncologists. What I noticed was that this was essentially a jurisdictional dispute between oncologists and immunologists. They all worked in the same building at UCLA, had similar credentials, and probably shared the same lunchroom. But the oncologists were "conventional", while immunologists were "alternative".

In the case of Dr. Prendergast, he is a MD with specialization in endocrinology. The majority of his business is by referral from other MDs who believe that he is the appropriate specialist for their patients. While some would call him alternative or integrative, I prefer the term competent. He has published in numerous peer reviewed medical journals, including JAMA. He was involved in the clinical testing of the drug Byetta, and I assume he is involved in the testing of "once a day Byetta", or whatever it will be called when it comes to market. Hardly the picture that you seem to envision of an untrained acupuncturist. He gets the "alternative" expletives because he uses vitamins and amino acids where appropriate. He also uses drugs where appropriate. And he used to refer about a third of his diabetic patients to cardiologists each year. The cardiologist referrals have essentially stopped, as patients who follow his program don't need their services. And competence is alternative?

LOL! Did you notice that the map of places to press on your foot makes no reference to how to treat a problem on the foot? Everything except the foot can be cured by massaging the right part of the foot. And besides, I'm ticklish!