1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative to a Near Miss

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by baumgrenze, May 17, 2007.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

My white 2004 Prius was delivered on 5/20/04. During the first 3 years we've accumulated ~26,500 miles. The clock runs out on extending the warranty on Sunday. I found this thread earlier this week and have been doing all I could to learn about my options. I'm trying to establish a 7/75,000/$0 Toyota based contract.

I do not want to direct people away from Danny and Troy. I just want to make certain that anyone else in my shoes knows that there are alternatives for when Troy is getting R&R and out of touch besides buying from the neighborhood dealership. I applaud him for telling us in advance that he would be offline.

I called Greenfield today and established that Troy is a 'one man office' and that nobody else could enroll me before he returns next week. Clearly that will not work for me.

I called around locally. The finance person where I purchased told me that she had to charge more than the MSRP because California extended warranty contracts are different than those from dealerships in other states. I called Toyota's Vehicle Service Agreement (VSA) extended service coverage phone line (1-800-228-8559) and spoke with Matt. He told me that he had no such information in his data. I called a few other local dealers and got prices all around the MSRP of $1,500. I got the song and dance about 'all your money back if you don't use it' from some. My dealer couldn't offer it to me. I needed to start that with less than 2 years on my car!

I desperation, I went back to Google and searched (prius "extended warranty" price) at this url:

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...G=Google+Search

It gave 34,000 hits, but near the top was:

http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html

I stopped there. Near the end of the faq is a short list of dealers offering discounts. Greenfield and Troy are at the top of the list.

Someone was 'home' at Crown Toyota in Lawrence, KS. I trust that Kansas is not in the notorious SE region!? Can anyone comment on this? We are now in the process of establishing a contract via fax.

Are there people who have found it necessary to use this coverage? How do you file a claim? Is the selling dealer a link in the chain? Do I need to worry that a tornado might demolish Crown Toyota?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

2. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

Heck yes you need to worry about that tornado. There's about as much chance as Palo Alto sliding into the sea with the next earthquake.

3. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Mr Bogie,

Sorry for the offense!

I was born and raised in north suburban Chicago (Highland Park, IL) and educated in Minneapolis (UofM) and St Louis (WashU) so I know and respect tornadoes. Until 1989 and the Loma Prieta, my most memorable earthquake experiences were in St. Louis (1962-1967) but, I am dating myself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbogie @ May 17 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]444606[/snapback]</div>

4. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Hello Moderator,

I now see that I should have posted this under your 'sticky' thread "Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts. " If it is possible to easily move it there, perhaps you could do so.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 17 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]444512[/snapback]</div>

I got my callback from Crown Toyota this morning. I learned that even though my contract with the dealer says I purchased and took delivery on 5/20/04, Toyota's records show that my car was 'put in service' on 5/14/04 and that an extended warranty can no longer be written by anyone. The car is 'in service' from the minute it rolls off the delivery truck at the dealership, perhaps even from the minute it rolls off the ship in port.

Lesson! Don't wait until the last few months if you are contemplating this purchase. Like me, you may be told you do not qualify!

Still learning at 67!

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 17 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]444512[/snapback]</div>

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baumgrenze @ May 18 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]444975[/snapback]</div>
    I find it hard to believe that the "in service" date is the date the car is delivered to the dealer. However, I believe they did you a favor by not selling the warranty. At 100,000 miles I hope to see you post, "They wouldn't sell the warranty to me and I didn't need it anyway."

6. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Jim,

Thanks for the words of reassurance. I was (more than) a bit provoked this morning. I'd spent a couple of days thinking all this through (I thought) and was having trouble processing the "sorry Charlie" message. I went through my paperwork from the dealer. I could not find the 'in service' date mentioned anywhere yet I'm told that any warranties all depend on it. A word to the wise.

baumgrenze

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ May 18 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]445387[/snapback]</div>