1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative to dealer maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wileec, May 26, 2009.

1. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The short answer is no. However, YOU have to take charge and read the owner's manual in terms of maintenance. Most of the stuff can be done by any owner with the most basic of skills.

If you have to take it to the dealership, tell them what you want done so that they won't take advantage of you. NEVER assume that they will not screw you - sadly, most will.

... Brad

2. wileec

wileec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am very comfortable doing my own work I keep my Bronco on the road with the only shop time for alignments and the like. My wife was wanting to keep it at the dealership because in 05 when we bought it there was not a lot of knowledge about Prii outside of the dealership. Now that we are well past the warranty I was looking for options. I know the last time I took it for oil change they wanted to do the filters, fortunately I was planning on doing them already and knew the cost, got out of labor and the markup between parts counter and service dept with that knowledge. This must be why the ladies feel so vulnerable.

I have had to pull the maintenance schedule out on occasion to show the service manager that what he said was "required" service was not necessary for another 10-15k.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's proprietary diagnostic tools are mostly at Toyota dealers. But lots of independent shops should be able to perform the routine scheduled maintenance items in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. To be fair, the service writers at my favorite dealer try to screw me also by doing extra stuff. You have to be firm: tell them to do just the stuff shown on the appropriate page of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide. When I do that (and change my own filters, and provide 3 quarts of oil) their charges are quite reasonable.