1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Alternative to Remote Starter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Stefx, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cobrakid... yeah a remote starter is easier. It's still fun to consider alternatives, and I was especially interested in considering electrical heating to better understand the use of pure EV cars in cold climate.

I did a test last night. The 700W AC heater ran all night, and at best it managed a temp delta of 10C (6C in cabin, -4C OAT - Outside Air Temperature). In F that's 25F OAT and 43F in cabin. The winds were mild.
    In other words, electrical heating through a battery bank is not an option. It's not practical to consider 2-5kW of electrical heating.

It's unfortunate, because it rules out the Zenn as a potential 2nd car for my wife and I. It wouldn't be practical to have "another" 2nd car (hence a 3rd car) for winters.

Unless a severe increase in battery capacity occurs, pure EV vehicles will have to include some form of combustion heating (Espar/Webasto-type in some form) for cold climates.
    The deep cycle batteries I was considering weigh 60lbs for 1 kWh
    Even the Li-ion Hymotion kit at 10k USD weighs 180lbs for 5kWh

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Previous EVs have used efficient two-stage heat pumps for heating and cooling.

Tom

3. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Heat pumps work until a treshold temperature is reached. For example, in most residential applications, heat pumps work at -15 deg C and above.

Little heat is pump between a -60C "freon" and -30C ambient air.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's why they used multi-stage pumps. You can go with as big a delta as necessary, but of course you pay for it in the cost of equipment. I worked with a multi-stage chiller that brought the cooling fluid down to -80C.

With MR magnets, we used coolers to re-condense helium back into liquid helium at around 8K or -265C. Of course these coolers were a wee bit different than an ordinary heat pump.

Tom

5. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used indoor 14 gauge cord and I ran it through the trim along the sides. (see pic)
    [​IMG]

As for the temp, my heater ran at 900watts from 5am to 7am this morning... outside temp -8c inside temp 4c. It was windy as always where I live.:eek:hwell:

6. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Take your deep cycle battery and connect it to solar panels as a source to recharge the system while the car is off.

A timer to set the start time to pre-heat the car before you leave work. If you doing AC heat, add an ICE heater to the timer so you get heat faster. A 1/2 hour should be enough time....