1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

always unlocked from inside?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by norahs, Sep 19, 2012.

1. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've just now noticed that even when my doors are locked, if I or a passenger pulls on the door handle from inside, the door will automatically unlock and open. On one hand, it seems convenient that we don't always have to be messing with unlocking it before getting out but on the other hand, it seems like it could be dangerous if we accidentally grab the handle thinking the door is locked while driving...

Does everyone else's C do this?

2. secondspassed

secondspassed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a suspicion if you tried it while driving over 15mph the door would not open.

RocMills likes this.
  3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like we need to run some (careful) experiments...

4. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thought the same. There is a mechanical feature that the front doors always open regardless of the lock position. Tried it myself at about 25 last week. Back doors can be set to not open with the child safe lock feature, but without changing the child safe position the default action is same as front doors.

5. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So the doors can always be opened from the inside regardless of the lock position or speed the car is traveling? Wow, that does not sound safe at all.

6. norahs

norahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    glad to see my car isn't the only one doing this...
    But really? This seems dangerous. I don't want to put the child safety on the back since I often drive coworkers to lunch.

It's surprising the car does this since it has the option of when to unlock the doors(when switched to park). Having learned this discovery, makes this option useless

7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I assumed it had this feature as well, but I just checked the manual. Despite the automatic locking (can also be set to occur at 12 MPH on the three and four), the manual warns that the doors can be opened while the vehicle is in motion, and to, well, not do that.

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that's just silly. Most people don't *intentionally* open a car door while it is in motion. As a child, I once fell out of a moving car because the locks were defective. It was not a pleasant experience (for myself or for my uncle who thought he had killed me). I can kind of understand Toyota's reasoning, but still... And I'm not sure such a disclaimer/warning would prevent them from being sued by a determined person.

9. WiscPriusc

WiscPriusc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Another update, was curious so tried this in the back seats tonight. When doors are locked the back doors do not open. It seems the fronts have the mechanism to always open but the backs may not (unless my child safety tabs were in the safe position and I didn't know it). Hmmm.

10. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and thank goodness. I didn't lock the doors, so I don't want to fight the car in unlocking the doors. For the record, I was in an awful car crash years ago where I ended up at the bottom of a river; if the doors were locked I may not have made it out alive.

Also, most German cars automatically unlock as you pull the handle from the inside too. On BMW's specifically, you have to pull once to unlock, then pull again to open. I've never been a fan of automatically locking doors; they're mainly a mental thing. Doors are already federally mandated to have a double latch system, the "locking" just deactivates the handles from functioning.

11. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Fascinating discussion - all cars I've ever known have had the driver's door handle always open the door regardless of lock position. It could be a local regulation. We were also always brought up to leave the doors unlocked for safety in the event of an accident and I still drive that way - I'll only lock the doors when driving through "interesting" or high pedestrian areas and will unlock them again as soon as possible.

The US manual confirms the front doors are meant to do this on p.66:

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM52B58U/pdf/sec_1-3.pdf

The Australian c does not have an automatic door locking/unlocking system at all. If it did I'd deactivate it. :rolleyes:

12. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Even though you can still open the doors when they're locked?

13. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Absolutely. It's just how I was brought up. Say I'm in an accident and my door is inoperable or blocked and I'm unable to get myself to another door without assistance - if other doors are operable, it is in my interests for them to be openable from the outside. Or indeed even if I'm in some way incapacitated and my door is fine - someone could open it from outside and provide assistance.

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    On my C the doors remain locked while BACKING UP. I know this because I often have to open the door to look back when backing into my parking lot. If the car is moving backwards I cannot open the door. I have to open the door first while the car is not moving.

I have not tried opening a door while moving forward as of yet. But I will try this evening to open the door while moving forward.