1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I being Bamboozled?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by OldeGeek, Oct 19, 2017.

1. OldeGeek

OldeGeek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey!

Start the car, no apps, hence no navigation etc. Call dealer, take car in, they say needs new radio, they don't fix them just exchange. Wait for radio, take the car in, "new" radio installed, no apps, AND no SiriusXM. Back to deal for them to try "hard re-boot" by disconnecting the battery and waiting 15 minutes.

An hour and a half later we're told they need to order an "apps module". No charge of course with extended warranty, but if feels like BS.

What is going on here?

Olde Geek

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they charged you, yes.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I seem to recall seeing in the wiring diagram that, yes, in at least one of the Entune versions of headunit, there was something called an "extension module" that was a separate box mounted beneath the headunit and responsible for some of the apps; they might reasonably also call it an apps module. Sounds like a reasonable possibility it would be at fault. Too bad they may have lost time swapping the other part first, but as long as they haven't charged for either thing, that's probably about as good as it'll get at a dealer shop.

I'd like to think they could have had somebody find out which unit was at fault before just swapping stuff, but to hire people who have real diagnosis chops, dealer service departments have to compete with a lot of other career paths.

-Chap

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Diagnostic time pays $0. Toyota pays warranty book time to swap parts.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Even worse for Toyota if so, because a lot of employers will value people with that skill.

-Chap

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    after thinking it over, i think you're being boozled. no bam involved.

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The “don’t fix them” part, at least, is correct. There are no field-serviceable parts in the radio head unit, and they are repaired only on a return-to-depot basis.

Considering the outstanding troubleshooting skill you’ve seen so far from the dealer, would you really expect them to be able to diagnose or repair a printed-circuit board at the component level?
    I wrote a bit more about the extension module in a Prius v thread, but I think the information probably also applies to liftback Prius cars of similar age.
    This is exactly the problem. I expect it’s less costly for Toyota to absorb the cost of unnecessary parts exchanges than to authorize a warranty labor rate that would lure skilled technicians away from other fields.

Toyota’s Repair Manual could cover this area better, though. The Problem Symptoms Table, for example, doesn’t have an entry for “The radio works but APPS don’t.” Perhaps the authors assumed, in that case, that the technician would always find one of the extension module trouble codes (B1552, B158A, or B156C) and use the corresponding troubleshooting procedure.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The next time you take your car into the shop please remember to tell the Service Manager that you expect to be billed for the mechanic's time spent diagnosing the problem. As it is, the mechanic is being paid the book rate for the repair.

This is why there isn't a mechanic in the shop who wants to get assigned to the car with the "intermittent problem" or the repair that routinely takes longer to do properly than listed in the book. BTW, warranty work pays less than retail. Two cars come in needing the same work. One is out of warranty. Which one sits on the lot or in an unused bay?