1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I Being Taken for a Ride?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Wildseyed, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Wildseyed

Wildseyed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night my 2010 Prius' hybrid system experienced a fault while driving down the freeway. In previous days the Traction, Brake and ABS lights lit solid. No codes. Coasted to the side of the road and towed it to the nearest dealer. Today service text me that they are still working on the car, it's 1:00pm. I ask "You're just doing a diagnostic right?" No reply, so I text the assistant. Ask again about the diagnostic, and he says "Yes and also a recall". I ask if the recall is related to the problem. "Just checked, and it is not related. Recall is free" So you did the diagnostic already? What was wrong? I ask... No reply... Yet.

First guy texts back fifty minutes later "Yes sir!" (just diagnostic). So I look up to see which recalls have not been applied to my vehicle. J0V 2010-2014 2012-2014 Prius V Hybrid System Software Update. This is a failsafe failure recall to fix a problem that can cause damage to the hybrid system and inverter. That's my understanding anyway. Who does a recall on a broken car?

Anybody think this is fishy?

2. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No, not fishy. They are required to complete the recall.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not fishy at all. Toyota would not issue a recall if it wasn't important.

And by the way, if you had the lights you mentioned, you had codes. Guaranteed. Whatever code reader you used wasn't capable of querying all the Prius computers. I'm curious as to what they said was the fault that led to the tow.

4. Wildseyed

Wildseyed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More to the story now. When they got back to me, they said "The problem is your fuel pump needs replacing. Also, your fuel injectors need to be cleaned. I noticed that you have an aftermarket 12 volt battery. It needs to be replaced. It not holding a charge."

My response "You know that battery is 2 days old, and I measured the voltage at 12.88 v while waiting for the tow truck last night?" No response... When I asked you if the recall was related to the problem, you said it was not, but the J0V recall is a hybrid system recall, but the message on my HUD clearly says Check Hybrid System. You're telling me it's the fuel pump, and it's not related to the recall?" No response.

$150 for the diagnostic, which now I question if it even took place. They called me again to let me know that they were not able to perform the recall remedy because of the battery issue. I show up, immediately open the trunk and measure the 12v battery voltage with head lamps on... 12.8v. F***ers...

Max Taiwan likes this.
  5. Boffin

Boffin Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When a similar set of symptoms hit my 2010, it turned out to be the inverter, a rather expensive fix. Fortunately, it was covered by the recall, so didn't cost me anything but time and aggravation. Given your experience with that dealer, it's time to find another dealer. Good luck.

pjksr02 likes this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Impossible, the HUD can never display that information.

7. Wildseyed

Wildseyed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The message is not verbatim, but conveys the meaning.

8. Wildseyed

Wildseyed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was out of gas! After forcing the vehicle into maintenance mode several times to force the engine to run it finally gave the gas out code.
    So I guess replacing the fuel pump would have solved the problem because when they took the fuel pump out they would have seen the tank was empty.

dig4dirt likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He wasn't referring to the message contents; it was the message location. If you car has a head up display (HUD), it would not show that message. It would be on the MID (multi information display. ;)

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a gas gauge??

pjksr02 likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Gauges are only suggestions, they’re not required.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Bloody stealerships! Good you did your due diligence is what we call it in the north. By default they are out to get you! Print out everything and call Toyota customer relations and expose them!

Mendel Leisk likes this.