1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I Going Crazy?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Exerted, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my '21 Prime for about 8 months now. I remember the energy cycle on the infotainment screen use to show the actual battery level in bars. A couple months back, I noticed that infotainment screen only shows the battery completely full no matter what the % is left.

Just came in for 10k service, and they said everything is normal.

Has the infotainment system ever shown the real battery level, or is it just a case of suddenly noticing things? I really enjoy driving the car, and maximizing the mpgs so I'm pretty aware of things. The day I noticed it was when it was the first time the car was left fully charged and we didn't use the car right away(I know it's bad for the battery, that's why we do our best to avoid it). Ever since then, the battery stays stuck in the "full" graphic.

2. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you provide any pics? Thx.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you talking about the battery indicator in HSI (Hybrid System Indicator) as shown in the photo below? How about the battery % (or if you have it in EV range). Does it change? Or are you talking about battery information on the head unit, either 7" screen on LE or 11.6" screen on XLE and Ltd? I don't use the screen info much, so I don't remember if there was a battery bar display there.

upload_2021-12-22_7-40-0.png

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did you own a Prius or other hybrid previously?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn’t change in my 2018 either. Bugs the heck out of me. It is dynamic on the regular Prius but fixed at “full” on the Prime.

@Salamander_King @Marine Ray they're talking about the Energy Monitor.

Salamander_King and Marine Ray like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that one on the Nav screen? I almost never use it on my car, but according to the 2021PP manual, the battery display is supposed to change as the remaining charge in the traction battery changes.

This is for a 7" display on LE.
    upload_2021-12-22_14-5-15.png

For a 11.6" display on XLE and Ltd. The main screen for the Energy Monitor does not seem to change, but the "Detail" info page display does. See the manual excerpts below.

Not on this main screen:
    upload_2021-12-22_14-9-40.png

But on the detail screen, it does.
    upload_2021-12-22_14-11-42.png

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked it on my 2021 PP Ltd. The Detail window of the Energy Monitor under Battery does show corresponding level of charge left in the traction battery.

The traction battery level was 37% as shown on the HSI.
    upload_2021-12-22_14-21-14.png

Corresponding Energy Monitor showing Battery Detail shows 37% traction battery level. I have never used this info screen while driving, so I don't know if it changes as the HSI battery level changes, but I believe it does.
    upload_2021-12-22_14-19-44.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    First hybrid + plug in

This is it. I have the LE. So I'm not crazy, it did use to change according to the actual battery level. I don't use the full screen version on my 7", I use the simplified version. I just took a quick picture of it in my garage.

Attached Files:

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Tahsin Shamma

Tahsin Shamma New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Also, be sure you're not talking about your phone's battery level when connected via bluetooth. That shows on the upper display as well.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What bugs me is that yellow battery on the main Energy Monitor screen on the 11.6" MFD doesn't change (As you can see, it's showing "full") and that you have to open up an additional menu overlay to see battery charge and kWh regenerated.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried changing back to the full-screen display for the Energy Monitor, not your current split screen? I had 2020 LE and did play with the 7" display, but I can't remember if I ever watched the battery level displayed on the Energy Monitor screen.

I believe the full-screen display is the default. So, if you had it in full-screen mode, it was showing the battery level, but with your split screen mode, it may not be showing the battery level anymore? Try changing it back to a full-screen mode.

12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that seems to be the way it is displayed. But as to the OP's question, the 7" display is supposed to show the level. I think at least if it is on a full-screen mode as the manual shows. But, as I said, I never use the Energy Monitor on mine.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  13. Exerted

Exerted Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I seldomly use the full screen energy monitor. I'll have to check it the next time I take the car out and see if the bars convey the actual battery level.

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never knew there was an issue with that since the battery percentage and the graphic representation are always on the HSI screen on my MID unless I'm checking other stats.
    IMG_4048 Large.jpeg