1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I the only dumb bastard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by IFixEm, Oct 12, 2005.

1. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

who installs ev switches at the dealership?

I have been a light lurker for years and finally joined primarily to ask this question. Are there no other Lex/Toy/Scion MDT's who are doing this for thier customers? Whats the big deal? Are you afraid of the big bad warranty clerk? DSM's never come to inspect defective parts. Nobody but you and I need know. There are ample software overides to protect the HVBatt. We are discreete about it but I have done lots of them. Cool feature that is unnesisarily deleted on NA cars.

Am I alone in the world?
    Regards, Mike

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, is there an actual policy handed out in writing to Toyota dealers defining what to do about cars that have EV installed? Blame anything and everything on EV?

Ummm, no, there aren't...

3. kent1915

kent1915 New Member

Huh. When I took posession the dealer dude did a nice top down tour, demo, paperwork session. Never mentioned anything about EV or voiding warranty. Of course, I didn't ask or tell. Now the only question I have is where is the 2nd Aux. outlet?!?! He didn't cover that.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    not where my husband works. most there are curious about the ev switch but don't know much about it... they keep asking my husband about ours. he's the only one who actually has a prius.

so do you run independently? i'm sure the service writers aren't involved here. ;) must not be very busy there. my husband is always getting tracked down and handed tickets, even when he has a car or 2 hanging and one in the lot waiting for him. he usually stays late to catch up. i don't like that too much...

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Um, yes there are. It kicks off at a preset SOC, a preset speed, preset acceleration rate, preset battery temps (high and low), and a handful of other times that I can't even tell why it's doing it but have every confidence it's to protect the battery.

6. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

By independently I assume you mean under the table. Nope straight up above board 99.6 %. The repair order states "install SOP (special ordered part) accesories, cust. requests tech # xx". Anyone who is squeamish about warranty issues can simply not do it. Toyota has no official policy about EV's. First off all 95% of all toyo mechanics who have not lurked here don't know or care about EV's. The lube boys have no idea what what the button is and they see your car far more than I. We let people take delivery first(now it's your car), then quietly let them know we offer the service and they can find more info on ev pros and cons here.
    I am in a customer service biz, so keeping my peeps happy makes me happy. after 15 years at the same shop I have a large clientel who ask for me, and only me to work on thier cars. We are a very bussy and profitable shop. I like to spend Toyotas money (I hope they are not reading this) and so when in doubt I warranty it. I tell people that no damage should occur from the mod, but if an issue should arrise I am basically the one to decide what failed and why. If your ev smokes an ECU or HV batt, I'll have the customer in a rental and parts on order lickety-split. I have never had Toyota question my repairs, and it is unlikely they would. In the event they do decide to send an FTS, the mod is easily removed for my folks at no charge, and no one is the wiser. If I thought there was even a 5% chance to harm the car I would not do it.
    I have done cars from Portland and Lewiston(or was it Clarkston...I always forget which one is in Wa. and which is in Id.) because no one will do it for them.
    I guess I have always liked people who hot rod thier cars.....before the dealership split into 2 facilities, and I stopped overhauling those crappy hydromatics, I always did internal mods as part of warranty repairs that were not "approved" by the factory. It's the only way to make a 4l60e last more than 6 weeks.
    Am I sticking my neck out a bit? Yes. Do I have happy customers and great CSI ratings? Yes. I guess I'll keep flying solo and hope somewhere there is another MDT who has a soft spot for prius customers. They are a goofy lot, but I like most of them much more than camry or es300 owners.
    Regards, Mike

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm starting to like you Mike. Keep up the good work!

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike,
    Is that a gallon in a Prius South of MS?
    I have a factory EV switch I would like you to install.

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, that's an awesome attitude. Thank you for raising the clue
    level in general, and digging into the reality of things. I could
    only wish dealer techs had half of that grasp on reality.
    Toyota snoops all of these forums and yahoogroups, but remains
    strictly hands-off and doesn't actively participate -- too many
    lawyers and all. They certainly take home some ideas, but then
    have to weigh the merits of those against perceived customer need,
    what's feasible to do from a financial and/or engineering standpoint,
    etc. Toyota is very big, and has all the big-company attributes
    that basically stonewalls the individual customer. Heck, even the
    dealers aren't really given any information. It's really too bad,
    that there's so little enthusiast support for such a kick-nice person
    package of engineering.
    And as far as I know the theory about EV buttons and "void the
    warranty" has never been tested, especially not in any situation
    where the problem at hand could be even remotely linked to it.
    [If you lose a door-lock solenoid, who in their right mind is going
    to try blaming an EV button for that?!]
    _H*

10. FredWB

FredWB New Member

Mike, wish you were down here in San Diego...we need your honesty and customer activism. Keep up the good work!

So what if anything can you say about the wandering issue on the freeway that some of us experience?

11. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

Yes and I would love to. Since you are 40 to 80 minutes north depending on I5 trafic, I hate to see you drive down on a weekday for a simple thing like this. PM me and we can set up a Saturday appt. The main shop is closed weekends, but I would come in briefly for this. (clean easy work). Plus I want to see a factory switch.
    Regards, Mike

12. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

I have not noticed any complaints but I hand off alignment work to one of my guys. I do more of the electrical/driveability stuff. I should have notied if any came in for alignment re-cheks. As a team leader I get involved in comebacks for my half of the shop. I don't recall any wandering wierdness, but there are 40 to 80 cars a day....8 guys...not including 50 or 60 lof's. Tomorow I will talk to my suspension tech and check TSB's for you. I know there is a wander issue for camrys/es300. If nothing else I will call one of the region FTS's when I get a few free minutes (it may be a few days). Technical assistance is usually a hoop we jump thru and rarely any help. About a month ago they told one of my guys (while laughing) "we don't know, please stop calling." It was a tacoma brake concern. That one fired me up for a bit.
    Regards, Mike

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <another throat clearing sound> What he said was,
    And what I'm saying is, when people are being told that they have to pay for new batteries because they ran them too low, there AREN'T.

If the people are being lied to/misled about battery damage, then I'm wrong. I've seen posts from knowledgable people saying a drained HV battery should be rechargeable. When they don't recharge, there should be a better reason than that the car ran an extra mile or two beyond some charge level Toyota established at 'pink'. The fact that the car allows itself to be driven to the death of the HV battery does not say 'ample software overrides' to ME.

If you are assuming that because your battery doesn't seem to be harmed right now by going pink on a regular basis, I'll have to wait a few years to see if that does or doesn't harm the battery in the long-run.

This does tie-in with my Toyota-knows-EV-will-ruin-batteries-but-won't-tell-letigious-US-owners theory, so until Toyota flat-out denies that in writing I'm sticking with it...

14. pennyprius

pennyprius New Member

If Toyota sells the vehicle with the EV switch on European and Asia spec cars. What other change do they make to the vehicle/battery that would cause damage to our US spec cars if we added the switch?

15. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Americans are so sneaky we would be running people down in EV mode every chance we get, that is why we didn't get it. :p

Viro

16. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Where do you get the idea you can damage the battery with an EV button by running it down to pink bars?

First place mine never stays in EV that long. Generally I go 6 to maybe 4 bars in EV.

Secondly I get pink bars even down to 1 every time I run AC in a traffic jam with no push of the EV button, so it can hardly be a problem.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmmmm... that's a way to do it. that's really interesting to know. so how many hours do you bill out per switch?

i like that attitude, that's what got my husband a job at the dealership to begin with and has made him rather successful there. seems that's the prevailing attitude of good techs. keep up the good work Mike :)

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here's my logic. It may be faulty logic, but I've been there before.

Toyota won't let us have an EV switch. Some cover story about EPA emission control rules.

If both modes are harmless to car, why not hardwire EV mode as standard? People go on about limited functionality in EV, no big distances, no big value. However, even if all that is true, then why not make the EV mode the World Standard, and then everybody everywhere gets it without the (admittedly tiny) cost of a switch?

There has to be a reason for the switch. There has to be a liability behind not having that mode be the default. "Limited value" wouldn't bring a switch into existance.

My contention is, US buyers will sue like crazy if the HV batteries go bad due to excessive EV useage, so we get no (official) switch. Non-US cars with switch require a switch to make it a concious effort to use EV mode. If those owners overuse it and hurt the battery, they are considered more likely to whine but pay for a new battery.

All I need from Toyota is an Official "EV doesn't hurt the car at all, ever" statement, and then I'll be quiet about it. Until then, I'm going with this logic...

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You make it sound like some "Area 51" type conspiracy. Although there is no official word/reason given why this isn't available in the US it's standard everywhere. If Toyota thought it could be harmful why would they have included it anywhere? If they'd have left it off no one would ever have been the wiser. If it was potentially harmful they would have been smart to leave it off so they wouldn't have to pay for as many warranty services...remember, those other countries have warranties too.

You are totally missing the point. The EV mode (as in the mode entered by pushing the button) is rarely the most fuel efficient mode to be in. If the car were always in EV mode it would get lower fuel economy, it would not be as responsive as folks want it, it would not keep the battery SOC as high and thus we'd have less electrical reserve for passing/accelerating/hill climbing. EV mode is usually not a good mode to be in. NOT b/c it's hard on the battery but b/c it doesn't allow the hybrid system to operate at it's most efficient. The fact that the owner's manuals for the countries that have the EV button standard specifically says that use of the button can reduce fuel efficiency it testiment to the reason that mode isn't the default.

But, you and I, as intelligent drivers who can predict our driving conditions can, with practice and experience, learn when the use of the EV mode can improve efficiency. We can also tell when we'll be simply moving a car out of the garage to wash then back in again with no need for ICE start up. We can tell when we have a long grade approaching which will allow recharge of the battery. I'm not saying we can or do accomplish this on a consistant basis.

See above, not a liability so much as an efficiency issue. But yea, I suppose that if every time you drove, day in day out 365 days a year over a period of years and you always drove under 34mph and always ran the battery down to the 2 pink bars then stomped on the gas pedal further forcing the HV battery to drain even lower and you repeated this over and over then yea, maybe you're right that it could shorten the battery life in some measurable way. But intermittent use of the button isn't going to do that. Again I give you the fact that the majority of Prius sold world wide have the button.

You are, of course, free to contend that. But I'm free to say it's bunk. Toyota gains nothing by including the button and, if your thought that it's damaging to the battery were correct, runs the risk of having to pay for lots of warranty replacement batteries to 10s and 100s of thousands of cars. Somehow I give Toyota credit for being smarter than that.

Do you have a statement from Toyota that says "B-mode (on the shifter) doesnt' hurt the car at all, ever"? How about one that says "SKS doesn't hurt the car at all, ever"? Of course not. And they don't make any statement like that to those who have an EV button.

Whatever the reasons for not including it in the US I think that potential harm to the HV batter is least amonst them.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The argument can be said about UK. Why isn't SKS available there?