1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I the only one who keeps thinking I hit something while backing out of a parking spot?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BrettS, Jan 21, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ever since I got my 2010 Prius (about a week ago) I always get a little scare whenever I'm backing out of a parking place. The Prius seems to think that the ideal time to start the ICE to warm it up is when I'm moving backwards and halfway out of the spot... which, of course, causes a little vibration in the car and makes me think I hit or ran over something. It really scared me the first time... especially since I had only had the car a few hours then and I'm mostly used to it by now, but every now and then it catches me off guard.

I think maybe the car just likes playing with my head;)

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah it's something you get used to and yet other posters think there's something wrong with the car because it wouldn't start in the beginning.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They'll do that. OTOH, when I reach for the drivers door to open it in the morning I hear the brake pump start running, it's like the car is greeting me.:D

Prii are a lot like cats. Sometimes they will show affection and sometimes they just like to mess with you.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The starting seems to become less noticeable as the car breaks in and or you just get use to it, one of the other.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wifes hairdresser who had a hycam, it freaked her out so much, she traded it in on a ice cam after a month. hang in there, most of us get used to it.

6. tinaprius

tinaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I always wondered what that noise was in the morning thanks

7. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could always put the car in EV mode until you are clear of your parking maneuvers. It's much easier to hear if you actually do hit something if the ICE isn't running!

Although I can't remember what the original thresholds for EV mode are in a stock Prius, so you may not be able to do it on a cold morning. On my PHEV, I can do it anytime, and I never allow the ICE to run until I'm up to speed on a longish stretch of low-speed road. This way it has time to warm up with a light load, and it's not wasted as much. If I'm not going on a long/highway trip, I just keep EV mode on and never start the ICE at all.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow, Prius owners who forget they have an engine.

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's just time to pick Grandma up off the driveway......

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are making me so jealous. even the new phev won't be able to run without warming up the engine.:(

11. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the Prius warms up automatically because most drivers don't care or would not make the best choice for when to allow it. I like the manual method, as I can choose when the best time is much better than the car's ECU can.

Maybe someday the PHV Prius will have GPS integration, so you put in your destination and it figures out when would be a good time to warm up the ICE, if at all.

I routinely make it to the Oakland Airport from my house without ever warming up the ICE. The thing that sucks is if didn't have my block heater plugged in, I have no heat at all!

The PHV Prius solved the no-heat problem by making the A/C operate as a heat-pump. I wish I could add this to my car!

12. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's an interesting thought... not so much putting it in EV mode while I back out of a parking spot, but putting it in EV mode in the morning as I leave my house. It's always bothered me that I could make it out of my neighborhood under electric power because the speed limits are so low, but the silly car wants the ICE to run to warm it up. I wonder if I'll see any gas mileage improvement if I put it in EV mode and let the ICE stay off until I actually get out to the bigger road where I need it anyway. Let it warm up while it's actually being used.

On a side note, I've definitely improved my gas economy driving skills over the week I've had the car. I have a 25 mile commute to work (about 15 highway miles and 10 non highway) and the first day I drove it to work I averaged 48MPG for the trip. This morning I did the same trip with an average of 54.8MPG (although I was really annoyed that I didn't hit 55;) ). That's according to the car's trip computer, which was reset immediately after turning on the car (before I started moving and before the ICE came on to warm up).

13. Capt Ed

Capt Ed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe that she was referring to the brake pump noise that OS650 mentioned. I wondered what that was also, so I extend my Thanks to Os too!

Ed

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you mean XS right?

15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I stand corrected.

16. Capt Ed

Capt Ed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Oops! Yes indeed. I stand corrected too! Thank You!

Ed

17. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you just make up those terms? :)

-Iain

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I took the title literally. I've been backing up once or twice and found the brakes very grabby, so much so that I thought I'd, well: hit something. Could be especially just at start-up.

Anyone else note that?

19. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Occasional grabby brakes in reverse are a known but not universal issue http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/65875-braking-in-reverse.html

Happened to me a couple of times more than a year ago but not since.

While its not been a big deal for most people, hopefully Toyota will resolve it with a program update one day.

1 person likes this.
  20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Until Toyota finds a cure for it, you can relieve it temporarily by lifting your foot completely off the brake pedal and reapplying it. Instant cure for the time being.