1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AM Radio Interference

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MarinJohn, Aug 21, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I have an 05 Prius with 6CD changer and associated radio. No electronic mods. I get very poor reception and hear motor noise thru the speakers when the AM radio is on. On these occasions, if I shift into N the interference is eliminated. I am sure I am NOT at the outskirts of reception as my neighbor's 05 Prius gets perfect reception, as well as the loaner Prii I have driven when my car is at the dealer. I have removed the antenna and replaced it with one from the local auto parts store. Same results. I have had the radio replaced twice upon which time the new radio works as it should for a short period of time before reverting back to poor reception and interference.

While I am not qualified in electronics, it seems to me as if some kind of resistor is burning out creating a direct path between the radio and the electric motor. Anyone get similar problems resolved? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A couple of questions: first, does the distortion happen with FM or the CD player? Second, is there any pattern to the problem? like rapid acceleration, gliding, ICE on, ICE off, location in the city, etc?

There is no, repeate NO possible direct path from the HV system to the radio... the only paths that exist go through the inverter to the 12V system (if that was bad, you'd have a lot more problems), and through sensors to the computers to the MFD/radio... either way, there shouldn't be anything "burning out" that causes it. A guess would be that there's a loose connection somewhere between the radio and the antenna, allowing it to sorta "short out" on the car frame... That could account for the static.

Give us some more specifics, and we may be able to better diagnose potential sources for the problem.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 21 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]306932[/snapback]</div>
    To answer your questions:

CD player works fine, but FM reception is poor, tho doesn't seem to have the engine noise.

There seems to be no pattern...it's all the time on the AM while the ICE is engaged, not when it isn't engaged

Location doesn't seem to make a difference

Anyone?

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Only when the ICE is engaged? tahts a bit odd, but it does tell us that it's probably not the HV system or the electric motor thats the problem (since those can, and normally do, run at times when the ICE does not).

I'm guessing you probably won't get help here for this particular problem... it sounds really hard to diagnose. anyways, take it in to your dealer and see what they have to say (especially if you're still in your original warrenty). It'll take a good diagnostic tech to figure something like this out... just thinking through it i can't think of anything that would cause it.

maybe your car is just mad at you for using gas :-p

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    MarinJohn, from your first post, I thought it was the same problem I have. When I have AM on, charging or discharging current from HV battery, and when reception is poor (due to location), I will hear a faint high pitch noise from the speakers. FM doesn't have this problem.

My explanation to that is when the signal to noise ratio for AM signal is low enough (bad reception areas), and the auto gain control circuit amplifies the signal mixed with noise, you will hear this faint high pitch noise created by current going thru the cable between the battery in the back and the electric motor in the front of the car. Basically, it's a shielding problem. If there's enough shielding on the cable carrying high current, you will just hear white noise on AM if reception is bad. I can reproduce this every time when I travel thru a section of road with bad AM reception (under the bridge for example). I have not had this problem on FM due to high signal to noise ratio of FM modulation.

You were saying the problem go away when you shift to N. When you shift to N, the battery is not being charged or discharged, therefore no interference. Makes total sense up to this point.

Your second post said that there's no pattern and problem is there when ICE is engaged. Now that throws me way off. It is completely different than my assumption that your problem is caused by the interference of the current going in/out of the HV battery. Can't think of anything else at this point. Sorry~

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

You know, when I last posted and mentioned ICE I was mistaken. I should have said HV battery, not ICE. My bad. Thus, when you shift into N and disengage the HV motor the noise stops. I don't think it has to do with the ICE. Thanks for your replies.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota has in the past manufactured a few kits for AM radio interference. It's a direct plug-in to the back of the radio (pass through for the wiring harness).

I don't know if one is available for the JBL 6-CD system. Check with your dealer; ask them if they have the Audio handbook, it's kind of an obscure item to locate. If you had the base model radio, I could probably locate the part number...

Nate

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 22 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]307498[/snapback]</div>
    Does it happen all along the AM band?

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 22 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]307588[/snapback]</div>

Yes, it does. Also, while the symptoms are always present, some days they are more pronounced than others.

I'm kinda suprised others haven't chimed in with similar problems. Good for y'all.

10. rkinner

rkinner New Member

I also have a whine in the AM radio when the car is moving - from the comments so far, it looks like bad connectionsfor the ground or shielding. I have the stock radio with a single CD player and the problem doens't seem to be noticable on FM.

I do plan on installing my HF amateur radio gear in the fall (Phoenix at this time of year doesn't make outdoor installations any fun). I will post anything that I find with that installation.

Russ Kinner, WA8ZID
    Surprise, AZ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Aug 22 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]307793[/snapback]</div>

11. pdeep1

pdeep1 New Member

I also have the same problem with the static in the AM radio. I have found that the static gets worse when I step on the brake or gas (more so with the brake). I can step on and off the brake while driving and the static gets worse then better then worse as I step on it again. It is also worse some stations more so than others. I have it at my dealer for the third time as they are trying to find the problem. I think they have replaced everything in the radio system. (radio, antenna, antenna cable, antenna base). Kinda reminds me of years ago when you needed resistor spark plugs or needed to stick a resistor in the electrical system to get rid of static. Certainly is a problem tho since sometimes it is unbearable.

12. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

has any one of you with this problem had the dealer change the antenna amplifier? that would be my first suspicion when there is a problem with AM reception. Either it's not grounded properly or the antenna leads are not properly connected. It's up in the dash behind the clear lucite panel rear center of the car.
    Edit I'll try and cut and paste the location from the manual.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

here's the picture and the location is A23 well it won't let me upload a 50KB picture of the location. PM me and I'll send it to you.

15. wileec

wileec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    MarinJohn- What was the solution for this problem? It has just started happening to me. I get static anytime that I am not in neutral or gliding.

16. fulltlt

fulltlt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have the exact same setup, '05 Prius with 6CD changer with the same problem, ie. AM radio interference. Did anyone come up with a solution?

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I doubt that you will get any answers from the original participants.......in a 12 year old thread.

Typically that problem is caused by the antenna, antenna cable or a bad ground.

Of course it could be the radio itself too.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's 2 filters. One is in the engine bay and another is attached to the antenna.

Has your car been in a rear end accident and bodywork performed in the rear of the car? .

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW, you guys completely glossed over the one response that was actually correct....

Also read this thread.....

Radio Antenna Preamp Analysis | PriusChat

All you need to do is replace the preamp, it's not that hard to do on a Gen II.
    If you can't do it yourself, the dealer will be happy to help....

#19 KK6PD, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  20. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did no such thing. That's pretty much exactly what I said, although I left out the part about a possibly defective amp......which IS part of the antenna.