1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radio Antenna Preamp Analysis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Patrick Wong, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About a week ago, through my stupidity while at a drive-through car wash, the antenna base on the 2007 was damaged. Fortunately, Steve Woodruff came through with a replacement from a salvage 2008 at an excellent price and promptly shipped it to me. Thanks, Steve!!

It was quite easy to replace the antenna base but I needed to visit my local dealer yesterday evening to purchase new plastic clips that retain the rear of the headliner. 2 out of 3 broke, they are quite delicate.

There actually is no need to remove hatch trim to do this, there is enough play to gently lower the headliner sufficiently to gain access to the antenna base.

Anyway, since I now had the broken antenna base, I thought it might be fun to analyze the preamp's capabilities.

I attached a couple of photos of the preamp circuit board. Looks like one transistor is the active element. A separate wire is used for the power supply.

My procedure was to use my HP 8640B signal generator as a signal source. I used a receiver with an S-meter to provide an indication of relative signal strength. I provided 12VDC to the power supply wire and the current draw was 15 mA.

Unfortunately I was not able to discern that the preamp contributed any amplification to FM signals. Further it appears that it diminishes AM signals, which I suppose is not surprising since the preamp has no way to band switch and the tuned circuits appear optimized for the FM band.

It is certainly possible that the preamp was damaged when the whip snapped off. In any event, I thought the group might be interested to see what the preamp board looks like.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, thank you, I have wanted to see a preamp, but did not feel the need to disassemble my car! How did you feed the RF source into the preamp? Over the air, or thru a direct coax feed? I would think this is a relativly low gain preamp, I would bet no more than 10 dB of gain, max! And that is a generous guess!

I would imagine this thing is more of a band pass design rather than broadbanded. It would not make sense to cover anything outside of say, 75Mhz to 115 Mhz.
    Interesting to note AM takes a hit, I would have thought at least it would be unity gain for AM.

Thanks for the photos, nice size easy to figure out!!

Keep it up, have a good New Year!

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comments. The HP 8640B has an N to BNC adapter. Then, a 2 ft. length of RG-58 coax with BNC connectors, to a female BNC to two small alligator clip jumpers, clipped to the little black wire sticking up (which connects to the antenna whip) and to the metal base for ground.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I suspect the antenna impedance is not 50 ohms and that could easily account for the loss of gain. I also suspect the device is really there for impedance conversion as the cables used in cars are not usually 50 ohm impedance coax, as that usually kills AM (due to impedance issues with such a short antenna).

Nice photos. Took me a few minutes to locate the transistor. Surface mount stuff is fun! ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Using a simple one transistor circuit, it's pretty easy to make a broad-band single transistor emitter follower that results in no voltage gain, but converts from the high impedance of the antenna to a 75 Ohm impedance appropriate to feed the cable to the radio.

My hunch is this is what Toyota did.

Such a circuit, when hooked up to 50 Ohm test equipment, wouldn't appear to be very useful.

1 person likes this.