1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AM to Podcasts ... pool our knowledge?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 29, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

My first radio, AM only, used a signal diode, ferrite tuner, and piezoelectric ear phone, no battery required. Radio receiver improved and FM became an option but programming remained Top-Pop, Country and Western, Religious, and classical on FM. By the early 1970s you could get progressive radio and advanced, eclectic rock and roll. But soon AM became horribly boring and along with FM, whole radio markets were captured by folks with an 'ax to grind' and no imagination. Satellite radio was at first welcome until I realized they didn't really care what subscribers wanted to hear. Then Internet radio and podcasts. This leads me to this podcast review:
    • Autoline Daily - fits in my 20 minute commute, they do a short, well written paragraph or two about what is going on. It is often where I first hear about new Toyota and hybrid developments even though they are not fans. They are fair-enough, journalists.
    • Autoline This Week - their just under an hour detailed report. Not always interesting, at least they go into more detail.
    • mpgomatic - just found him this morning and I'm impressed. For example, his C-MAX review ends with a screen showing:
      • 42.4 MPG - Cruise @68 MPH
      • 43.8 MPG - 60-72 MPH target, manual
      • 46.4 MPG - Cruise @60 MPH
      • 51 Degrees - Wind 3 MPH 93% Humidity
    Now some podcasts have sampled in the past but I am either going to or have already dropped:
    • FullyCharged - When Robert was interviewing people in his Prius, there was a good mix of technology and social. But lately he has gone 'all green energy' and that is about as interesting as watching the power meter.
    • Car Talk - how many times can you hear someone making the sound of a broken gas car before the joke wears off. So little technical content that relates to what is going on.
    • MotorWeek - great descriptions of 'art' but nothing else. Might as well listen to someone standing in front of a Salvador Dali painting describing their impressions.
    • others . . .
    It doesn't take much capital to produce a podcast and some of the one-man shows are pretty good. But my ears are interested in technology, not sheet metal art. Also, a bunch of good 'ole boys cuttin' up has a pretty limited appeal, mostly immediate family members and none of my kin are in that business.

It is nice to have choices and far as I'm concerned the AM and FM bands should be turned into bi-directional, wireless networks. Let us find the content that interests us and not some 'agenda' by the broadcast owners. That is what killed AM, is killing FM, and no doubt satellite is following.

Bob Wilson

OceanEyes likes this.
  2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to watch Motorweek, the TV show but I eventually got tired of how they hardly ever criticize anything. Almost everything they say about a car is positive.

Currently, about the only podcast I listen to on a regular basis is This Week in Tech | TWiT.TV. I've listened to almost every ep. I've only skipped a few like one they do around Christmas that isn't related to tech news and their best of compilation eps.

If you liked Leo Laporte of The Screen Savers (I had never seen it since I didn't receive Tech TV when it was airing), I guess you'd like TWiT.

I occasionally listen to NPR Most E-mailed Stories and a few other NPR podcasts, but I tend to get my fill from NPR News app. Some people like Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! : NPR. A friend of mine played the funny portions of George Takei Of 'Star Trek' Plays 'Not My Job' : NPR for me. As a gay man, I'm sure he knows a LOT about modern childbirth. ;)

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The web is awash with pretty good podcasts on a wide range of topics. If PriusChat is to add to that, we need to figure out what our strengths are.

One might be Eaglesight, who collates news items related to the environment. Front-end narrative. Another might be our many discussions on many topics including environmental. Focus on the many and not the environmental. What is it that Prius people can add to the world of podcasts?