1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amarillo FD removed hv battery have 0v.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Savedprius, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just picked up a 04 that I ASSumed had a good HV battery. What I found was a battery removed and is showing 0 v at the center post within the case. Also found a wire that would have attached to the same place as the wireframe sitting on the bottom of the case. That wire has a large dark casing. My question to you well healed Prii heads is the battery toast? If so, do you know anywhere around Amarillo Tx I might find one.
    The tow truck driver said the Fire dept removes them. Why not pull the disconnect?, which was in place. Any help will be appreciated, as I mistakenly flew out here to drive it back to NorCal.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are two good independent shops that can help you in northern CA. Luscious Garage and Art's Automotive. If you are patient user Seilerts can help you with good advice.

As far as the battery, the expensive parts are probably still OK. Check the module voltages, but disconnect one of the bus bars for safety first. They should all be more than about 7.5 volts each and within a couple of tenths of a volt across the set of 28.

JeffD

3. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JeffD Thanks for responding. I,m in Amarillo Tx trying to fix it enough to drive it to Nor Cal. I have the case off and I'm only getting 0 volts at the center posts leaving the cells. With no voltage, would I still be able to start it and recharge the hv batttery? On the other hand, being that it is that depleted do i need to try and find a methodology of trying to put a charge in it. I really need to put this on the road without wasting the cash on shipping, Any feedback is very apreciated. Sorry for the typos I'm on my phone.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The HV battery needs to be at about 20% capacity to spin and start the Engine.

I (and Seilerts) use a Supermate DC6 to charge/balance individual modules. It takes about 1.5 hours to charge a module (you can charge 2 in series with a DC6) since the charging rate is 5 amps to avoid overheating (and the limit of a DC6). A DC6 and a 12v supply (5amp) costs about $35 (a bit more at a local hobby shop where you can get the equipment and some expertise about charging NiMh batteries). You can charge several module pairs in parallel with multiple setups, just charge ones that are not adjacent to avoid heat build up.

After you get home you will want to balance the modules (get all 6 cells at the same state of charge). The DC6 can do this, but it takes 1.5 days to do each of the 28 modules (again multiple DC6's speeds the process). Then use the DC6 to discharge all 28 modules the same voltage before reconnecting the bus bar and buttoning up the HV battery.

Good luck.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Post some pictures of what you've got.

If the orange service plug has been removed, then the center posts will show 0V.

1 person likes this.
  6. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to the both of you. I did pull the service plug. I will post what i was left with as soon as i get back to the hotel. Youve given me hope, thanks you again.

7. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Having issues with pictures, I did plug in the service plug and still 0 volts. The HV battery is completely disconnected, with the exception of the service plug.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even a very bad battery will show something other than 0 volts. You might search the posts describing the service disconnect, which needs to be clicked *all* the way into place to make connection.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay, let's go in the opposite direction. Here's what it the connection to the system main relays is supposed to look like. Now, there are two posts where the battery connects; those should have >200V when the orange plug is installed. The two posts where the frame wires connect will show 0V UNLESS the car is in Ready.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all again. Yes, after pulling the plastic cover on the hot portion of the relay, I have 210v. Which has made my day. 12v bat is being charged as I write. One other question, can I bypass the canister as the fluid connections in and out have been broken.

11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    make sure your FUSE ( orange plug ) is not only pushed IN but also the handle way down..
    you will have the 210 on the plus and min but when you down push t he handle down you will still have the prius complain.