1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Operators on this forum?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by WE0H, Jul 10, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :thumb: Check out the 43' poles too if you like taller verticals. I picked up a pair of 31' Jackites and one 43' S9v when John still owned the company last winter.

Neat stuff :)

Mike ..

2. lungtaworld

lungtaworld Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I hold call W3UZI (extra class) but only use a handheld 2m (ICT90A) in my Prius :)

Ian

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ian,

Have you been to HamCation in Orlando in mid February?

Mike

4. barcelona11

barcelona11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not as much of an enthusiast about radio as I am about my Prius, but I am KK4CMA. Hubby is KJ4UBL. His radio plate is now on my previous car, an Avalon. An antenna farm has since sprouted on the deck lid.

We had some fun at the DMV rotating three tags among three vehicles so the his, hers, and ours tags were in the "right" place when we added the Prius to the fleet. They got it right the first time, though, to their credit.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I plan on getting Amateur plates on my new car next year. I have had them in the past but it has been a while. Nice to see some Ham Radio people on Prius Chat ;)

Mike

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had my call sign on my plates back when I was active. Apparently the original justification for ham radio plates was so that a cop in need of communication could flag down a ham. That's pretty much obsolete nowadays with all the radio gear they have. At some point I decided that since I was no longer active, I should not display a ham radio plate. I'd probably have some kind of EV-related plate if I could think of something I liked that was not already taken. There's not much left to choose from, so I just have standard-issue plates.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much does that Tesla weigh? I imagine that car is a hoot to drive :eek:

Mike

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    KE6IYV.

I got my license at the same time as my wife: KE6IYW

We got them to keep in touch during our commutes. I had a station at home with an omin-directional antenna way up my tallest tree. Mobiles in both cars. Then cell phones became small and cheap. I'm still current, but haven't used my gear in many years - and didn't go through the hassle of mounting anything in either of the two current cars. In fact I've donated just about all of my equipment to HandiHams. I still have all the antennas, but no other hardware. And I had some great stuff - for the day. I'd probably be shocked to see what's available now. Li-ion batteries weren't invented back when I was active. Everything was Ni-Cad!

John Hamilton likes this.
  9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow this is cool finding out who has their Amateur Radio license. I have seen your posts on other threads and never knew :eek:

I used to do the same thing with the radio's way back before mobile phones were available. Now it's iPhone's for the wife & I, but we do use that HeyTell app and have tried a few of those Walkie Talkie apps. Some work just like a UHF handy would work complete with drops outs and propagation effects. The digital mode covers up the weak signal static we know about but it still is fun to use.

Interesting thing, we stumbled upon a Walkie Talkie app that uses the cell towers but it doesn't use air time. Weird, but it works local and across the country with no minutes used. There's no delay like HeyTell has. It's live and complete with drop outs if either phone is in a weak signal area. Just gotta understand it is radio, and when a signal doesn't get where it's wanted to go, there is nothing heard. It took the wife a while to understand this and why something either one of us spoke into the phone did not make it to the other phone :eek:

Other than playing radio with the iPhone's, I go out portable operating on the HF bands from city parks or sit at home running my home station.

Mike

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Curb weight 2723 lbs (1235 kg); Gross weight 3273 lbs (1483 kg). And yes, it's so much fun to drive that I'm still taking it out every day whether I have a reason to or not, and I'm usually taking the long way around. Of course, it's only been two weeks. Several times I've taken it for long drives out in the country, 107 miles round trip on one occasion, 104 on another. I could not have done that, at highway speed, if I'd gotten another popular EV whose name I won't mention. I drove it hard and still had 70 miles estimated range remaining, and that was using "Standard" mode which only uses the middle 80% of the battery pack.

The Xebra was a fun car and I loved it, but going from the Xebra to the Tesla is like going from Subways to the best restaurant in Paris. Subways makes a good sandwich, but there's no comparing the experience.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We seen a couple Tesla's on our last road trip. Dang cool looking car. My wife got buyers remorse when she seen them as she has a gas sucking Saturn Sky Redline sitting in the garage that she just uses to toodle around town on special occasions. The Tesla would have fit her driving style just fine. She has mentioned the RAV4 EV so who knows, she might have something some day.

Mike

12. jjm2

jjm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a technician level ham, with a 2010 model III that I bought in April of this year. I don't have nearly as interesting history as most of you guys in this thread. I got my license primarily for Severe Wx/Tornado spotting here at the edge of tornado alley -- the Kansas City metro area. I'm also interested in emergency response and services. I also dabble with APRS.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how how to install my Kenwood D-700 into my Prius without draining the batteries or blowing out all the car's computers. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them. The dealer didn't want to touch the subject.

My call is: W0GPS.

John Morelli

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool callsign ;) As long as the Prii 12v generator can supply enough current to run the radio, it would be just fine wired to the 12v battery buss. I have seen many Prii at Dayton and HamCation with high band and even HF antennas on them so we know there is a rig in the car. I would not worry about the RF as it would be on the outside of the sheet metal. Just have to find out what the generator can put into the 12v battery then go from there.

Mike

14. ernestmurphyiii

ernestmurphyiii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a Prius owner, but plan to be soon. Whether I QRV mobile with it remains to be seen. Previously operated mostly parked mobile, close to seawater, in Hawaii. Now operating from Israel. 73, aloha and shalom. NH7L

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow Israel, that is a hike from here ;) Are you there permanently or just for a while? Are you running portable on the HF bands?

Mike

16. Ethelfleda

Ethelfleda New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello folks - guess this a good thread to delurk on :)

I'm K3ETT and my husband is W3MEH. I'm considering getting a mobile rig set up in my 2011 Prius III as a combo graduation (from nursing school) and holiday present this winter. Right now I just carry my HT along for longer rides.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a HF, VHF, UHF rig would be cool in the car. One of the tiny radio's.

Mike :)

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AK6C, originally licensed in 1967 back in the old days when you actually visited the local FCC field office to take exams. Obtained Amateur Extra Class license and First Class Radiotelephone w/Ship Radar endorsement license in 1970 while in high school.

I live in an area with HOA restrictions. A one-story house and short trees/cactus around result in little opportunity for a decent antenna. So I operate portable using my Kenwood TS-2000 and the Collins HF discone antenna located here: Home

I'm interested in repairing electronic equipment, but the reliability of consumer electronics is high enough so that the only equipment that needs work in my household is the test equipment itself. A piece of consumer electronics usually becomes obsolete before it fails.

19. larrypcmc

larrypcmc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good morning My call is K9ZSQ
    I have a FT 100 under the passenger seat and the ant. is on the trailer hitch. I have the picture. Larry

Attached Files:

20. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello All! Quite a few ham operators on this forum. My call is WB4GQA (Extra) and my XYL is
    KF4UMI (General). I am fairly active with a FT-1000MP, TL-922A and a TH-7DXX (currently on the blink). I have an Icom 706 MK II and several 2 meter rigs. I don't have any hooked up to the new Prius.