1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Operators on this forum?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by WE0H, Jul 10, 2011.

1. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that is a biggie antenna. How is the noise from the car or do you operate parked with the car off? Are you heading to Dayton or FDIM?

Mike

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found out the spec's on the solar roof. It puts out 22v 3.6a in full sunlight. I am going to install a switch to go from normal car solar ventilation use or into a battery charge controller and accessory jack. That way I can charge my SLA or other batteries for portable operations. I carry around a FT-817ND and accessories when I go out portable in parks. No need to carry around a solar panel with the Prius having the healthy sized panel on it's roof :)

BTW, I did NOT have this in mind when I ordered the car. The thought never crossed my mind. What was I thinking? Sure glad I went with this option now ;)

Anyone going to Dayton or FDIM next month? I unfortunately won't be driving a rental Prii as the XYL & I have some shopping to do, so we are renting a Sienna :p Although the Prius can hold 7 heaping full grocery carts, we have plans of buying more than that on this trip :eek:

Mike

3. Vege-Taco

Vege-Taco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    KC8ISS checking in. My radio isn't installed at the moment... :(

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta like those Blizzard Pearl Prii :p

I thought of a neat idea to use my Solar roof to charge my batteries when out running portable. Gonna to install a dedicated accessory socket with a battery charge controller wired from that to a switch to the solar panels. That way I can charge my batteries as needed. The panels are rated 22v 3.6a full sunlight. Plenty of power available :)

Have you run a rig in the Prius yet or operated portable near it to see if there is a noise issue?

Mike

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep - there have been bunches of, "are you a ham" threads over the years. Here's me ... letting smoke out since the days of Marconi - :p

[​IMG]

btw, there's an ongoing thread on the Leaf chat site regarding insufficient can bus shielding. So if RF transmissions are above 100 watts, there is evidence the can data is corupted, which potentially cripples the car. Don't know if this affects the Prius line or not. Something to consider though.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would not be fun to crash a computer while one is driving down the road talking on the radio :eek: I run 5w max when running portable and then I am off at the picnic tables while my vehicle is in the parking lot. The solar roof sure would be handy for Field Day battery/solar portable :) I'll have to test what it can do on a cloudy day so I know worst case if it can still charge or be careful with my battery capacity on those days.

Mike :tea:

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]
    Prior to our '04 Prius Purchase - we had a Ford Exploader ... I think it was maybe a 2001, but I can't remember. My better half would refuse to ride in it when I had the screwdriver attached:

[​IMG]

She'd say - "I'm not riding around in that dork mobile". Here I thought it was WAY cool ... and I was being called a dork. All that to say .... when I DID finally decide to go for the "dork mobile look" ... I did go the extra mile:

[​IMG]

I machined a custom stainless mounting quick release bracket, so it'd come on and off real fast. As super clean as my high Q screwdriver was (removing as much dork factor as humanly possible) ... there just aint no way I'd go so dorky as to do a Prius install ... even with a clean mount. A man's gotta have his limits.
    :p

8. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well I am W5MJL. I've been a ham since the middle 70's. I used to be KA5FAP. I am totally inactive., but I still have my gear. Yaesu Mark V, and a small 800 watt amp.

-.-. --.-

9. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I lost my ft-100 to hurricane Ike. I used to keep it at our beach house which we also lost to hurricane Ike. It was a good little radio.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neat to see user names while reading threads all day and then to later find out you guys are Amateur operators :) Years ago I started using my callsign as my forum user name just in case I bumped into other Amateur operators.

Mike :tea:

11. ronlprius2

ronlprius2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    73 de Ron N6QGK. Trying to figure out where to put my Yaesu 8800 in my 2012 PIP. Posted in the PIP forum if anyone has ideas...

12. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This thread is a hoot. Never took the leap to being a Ham. I DX'd SW in the 60s to communicate to foreign lands. Still have my QSLs somewhere. Some of the countries no longer exist.

Someone mentioned Heathkit, gee that's a blast from the past. Remember Knight kits too? First SW radio was a Knight kit. Later I wimped out and bought a Lafayette pre-built. I miss the days the days of the kits. Had a Heathkit scope for years.

Did a bit on CB for awhile, but those comments about overpowered rigs and boors applied there too.

Now th Prius will feed my tech lust. And woodworking my spare time.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Post some info on the rigs size, pics, willing to drill holes or not and we'll go from that.

Mike

John Hamilton likes this.
  14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wow small world :p Good to see you here Steve. I have a Knightkit T-150A and a R-100A on the shelf for restoration. The Amateur exams are even easier to pass today. No code requirement, books & websites with all the questions & answers listed for study. It's basically down to a memorization exam. Remember what you seen and pass the test. I've been at it since 1986 or 1987. Don't remember anymore which year was my first :(

Now having a Solar Prius, me been thinking serious about tapping into that 60 something watt panel and using it to keep my battery charged for portable operating in the parks. That way I can drive around the country for dirt cheep and get in my portable operating at the same time :)

Mike

15. rondefly

rondefly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just saw your post.
    Ron Triano KI6VEY, I am running IRLP in my semi truck and travel the 11 western states. always on 2 meters in the Reno Area. 147.150. My IRLP nodes are 7502 and 7826 and can be also found on the western reflector 9250

16. sopas

sopas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am K6BNT in So California, licensed for 1 1/2 years, now a general and going for my extra within the next year. I would love to put a rig in my 2004 but don't know where to start.
    Alice

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Alice,
    Pat KK6PD is on this forum. His callsign is his user name. He has a 2nd Gen also. I am sure he can tell you what needs to be done to run a rig in your car. Your gonna love having the Extra Class licence. No more wondering how low in the band you can go. I worked my behind off many years ago and got my Extra. I am hoping to get my son interested in getting his license. He has a hard time staying on track with the studies so it'll take a while for him :(

Mike

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alice PM me, Lets hear what you want to install!

19. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not a Ham, but I can honestly say the owner of MaCo Antennas (and a Ham guy) was a massive help in my first Prius purchase this afternoon. Thanks Dad!

Hope to learn a ton on the boards here. :)
    (breaka 1-9, breaka 1-9)

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Study for your Amateur Radio license if you can.

Mike :)