1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amateur Radio install/ USB

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by John Hamilton, Nov 2, 2017.

1. John Hamilton

John Hamilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I installed my Kenwood TM-D710GA in my 2013 Prius C. I've also installed a dual outlet USB charging port. I tapped into the wires for the cigarette lighter power port above it. 1509610797288-1749198883.jpg

2. John Hamilton

John Hamilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_20171102_033240.jpg
    Above you see the Dual USB charger port I installed in the dash under the power port. It's tied into the wires going to power port.

3. John Hamilton

John Hamilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_20171102_033852.jpg
    The metal bracket I used in the photo is stuck to the underside of the dash by 3M double sided mounting tape aka VHB that is extremely high bonding. It will hold up to 30lbs. I didn't get all the mounting brackets with the radio. The ham I got it from didn't get all of it from his ex-wife so it wasn't complete but I've made brackets to mount it in the car. I tapped into power at the 12 vdc battery and ran power and antenna coax under the trim on the passenger seat side. I used VHB because I didn't want to drill holes in the dash under the controls. The metal plate/bracket you see is 4 in x 4 in square. It has plenty of surface area to hold the weight of the mount and control head. It's very sturdy.

4. John Hamilton

John Hamilton New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_20171102_035435.jpg
    The mounting bracket behind the control head is made of plastic that I harvested from the case of an old VCR. I heated it with a heat gun and cut it with tin snips and shaped it to mount it to the control head and the metal bracket. Sure it's kinda ugly but it doesn't show for the most part since it's hidden by the control head.
    It's easy to reach, it doesn't interfere with the cup holders, it doesn't take up any space in and around the cup holder or the shifter.