1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazing animals

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 7, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    We could certainly benefit from a separate bee/pollination thread. Have touched on Colony Collapse Disorder before, but there are new developments there as well.

Personal experiences are more fun (at least a different kind of fun) for readers than are summaries of recent research.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Whales are an ‘Infraorder’ not species, so here stretching definition of amazing species. But in tribute to their amazingness, I ask you to let that go.

About 50 million years ago, after a blessed asteroid to Chicxulub allowed a band of unimpressive mammals to claim Earth from reptiles, some mammals went to sea. Their close surviving relatives on land are hippos. Large, sturdy and ill tempered, hippos might merit their own ‘amazing’ story here. But not today.

So, to sea, where there be cetaceans. Whales, dolphins and porpoises. May latter two have their time in light later as smartly eating fish; today I’m all about whales. Whales divided themselves into toothy-jawed predators and filter feeders. Both of those clans still do well, so let’s give each a moment.

Predatory whale species eating fish grow to 6 tons, while sperm whales reach 40 tons by eating octopi and squids. Earth’s Reptilian time had only smaller marine predators.

Filter-feeding whales are capped by blue whales of 180 tons. Evidence is lacking that any other earth animal ever got so big. Terrestrial herbivorous reptiles may have hit 100 tons back in their day, which more than anything suggests that their max-10-ton predators may have been under performing :). Land critters top out at 1/10 of those sizes now.

But this is about whales. Bigger now than any previous critters at sea. Smart as well, if we are to believe reports. But their thick layers of fat (for oceans are cold) led 18 and 19 century sailors to be whalers because humans needed things to burn. Yet I did not know that 1960 was biggest whale-harvest year ever, and you might not have either. Since then, whaling is much reduced. Shame having caught up with other sources of things to burn. Now whale populations are recovering.

If whales do complex communication, and if they have a sense of history, they must be saying “Humans in boats came for us, but then stopped. What are they planning?”

I wonder about that very same question.

RCO likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Humans of this species date from about 200 thousand years. Other related species have not persisted but their tooled rocks do. Earliest of those has now been found to exceed 2 million years:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05696-8

One might reflect upon Earth times during that 1.8 million-year interval. For when Homo sapiens came out of Africa, it was not into open country.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Getting big has benefits beyond making you harder to predate. One of which is that it becomes easier to retain heat. Logger head sea turtles can visit chillier waters than their other sea going cousins. A big herbivore dinosaur likely didn't need to burn any of its calories to simply keep things warm. So more calories can go to getting bigger.

Whales likely became big for similar reasons. It helps with the heat loss in cold water. Then filter feeding is an easy way of getting food that doesn't have the issues that digesting complex plants does. I'm guessing their energy requirements for migrations, when they usually aren't feeding, is a limiting factor on their max size.

Instead of under performing, I think it says that the dinosaur predators weren't social creatures. The predators today that regularly hunt things with a greater size advantage are pack hunters. A large, adult baleen wheel has more to fear from a pod of orcas than from a sperm whale.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still remember the 1960s National Geographic issue about whaling. Pretty gruesome issue.

Bob Wilson

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Staying at sea for Mosasaurs, they were large predatory marine reptiles back when earth was 'that way'. You may have seen one (special FX) in a Jurassic Park movie. This study is about their fossil bones:

Missing bones and our understanding of ancient biodiversity -- ScienceDaily

Actually I mention them because one (otherwise well-informed) grad student told me there were no marine reptiles back then. "OMG who told you that?"

Ah, students...whaddayagonnado.

Whole point of this Amazing Animals thread is to promote a general understanding of the parade of animal life on earth. As a trick I emphasize extreme examples, hoping y'all will 'get' the boring ones as well as collateral benefits.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Biggest sharks ever were Megalodon; just a bit bigger than Mososaur 'max'. That fish went extinct about 2.6 million years ago by uncertain cause(s).

We still have great white sharks which are about half size of Megalodon. Still big enough to make a meal of you. But Meg's teeth were, well just look:

Megalodon - Wikipedia

(scale is centimeters)

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Perhaps misremembering that there were no marine dinosaurs.

10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could buy a replica made with shark teeth from Amazon... Free shipping too:

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/000-Discount-Prehistoric-Megalodon-Fossilized/dp/B006KYX04S

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    iplug and Merkey like this.
  14. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Nice read. Someone should keep bookmarked/on hand for the flat-earth type.

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0218.JPG

She is so glad to see her daddy. He raised her from a cub, after she was abandoned. Sorry I no longer have the link to the story. He does animal rehab, has a large reserve in Africa. Put her back in the wild when she got so big.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My second least favorite animals (after mosquitoes) are Trypanosome-carying 'kissing bugs'. Infections may be increasing:

Chagas Disease: American Heart Association Warns Doctors to Be Vigilant | Inverse

Our problem is that initial symptoms can be mild and vague. Thus, course of drugs may not be prescibed and one feels recovered.

Twenty years later, an unrecoverable collapse can follow. So, readers are asked to consider being hypercautious if such vague symptoms arise.

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Silkworm moths. Domesticated about 5000 years ago; they convert Earth's most abundant protein (photosynthetic RUBISCO) into a fine fabric material, with not much help required from human 'farmers'. If that protein comes from mulberry leaves, as Bombyx are picky eaters.

Hence there has been a 'Silk Road' with geopolitical history attached. Hence we have what is regarded as the finest natural cloth - light, strong and shiny. Amenable to any sort of coloring because as protein, it offers chemical nooks and crannies.

Lepidoptera includes about 180,000 species which all make cocoons to transition between their two distinct life stages. But this one uniquely presents 500 meters of (10 micron) fine thread. Almost as if to say 'domesticate me, humans'. That worked, and ~10 billion Bombyx now miss adulthood each year. Obviously some others are allowed to go to stud because, hey, eggs are needed for next year. As often the case, it is not quite clear who domesticated whom.

18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The left over grubs become animal feed?

Bob Wilson

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A non-obvious fraction becomes people food.

20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Not our first look at octupi:

How the octopus got its smarts | Cosmos

First strong intelligence on earth was body-distributed and adequate, arguing from their long persistence. But they appear to have no higher aspirations than being themselves. Second was humans like you, brain localized and tool making, which seems to have rung all the bells here.

Science fiction has taken each of those styles interstellar but glossed over many details. Can earth intelligences inform us about such things elsewhere?