1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazing Savings

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by dbcassidy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Chevy Volt FAQs

Gee,

The Volt can cost you only $1.50 per day to run.

Hmmm, my Prius costs me: $1.72 per day to run (53 MPG @3.39 / gal, 24 miles round trip to and from work) so, 24 miles /53 MPG = .45 gals of gas per day = a staggering $1.72 per day.

Wow, if I had a Volt, I could save 22 cents per day ($1.72 minus $1.50), $1.10 per week or $57.20 per year!!!!

DBCassidy

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So long as you never drive it, the Nissan Versa is cheaper than either. 2014 Nissan Versa Sedan | Nissan USA
    At $12,000 and 31/40 MPG you could drive the 0.6 miles down to the Park and Ride lot for years.

To find out which car makes sense for you, you have to know how much you expect to drive.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why bother, walk 0.6 miles and save yourself $12k. You can buy a boatload of good walking shoes for yourself, be more fit, healthier and zero CO emissions to boot! ;)

DBCassidy

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well if ya wanna walk, try one of these at least;)

GolfBoard

5. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We once had a lady getting poor mileage from her Prius, we finally discovered she only drove it to the Park and Ride lot 6/10th of a mile. You can't optimize a gen 2 for that commute.

I think that is when they made the form you had to fill out before we gave advice.

6. stephent

stephent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Uh, why is it that Volt bashers on this forum always need to stack the deck when they make comparisons? The Volt cost per day is based on full charge, average electricity rates. That can get you 40-45 miles per day, not 24.

Your example, at supposedly $1.72 per day, would be $0.50 per day in my Volt with my time-of-use discounted rate and my 30 kwh per 100 miles.

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Each of us can only get "real" numbers for the car AND commute we have. Some commutes favor one car over anther, and often that means each owner has selected the 'right' car for him/her.

I drive from 110 to 280 miles a day to about 15 sites, randomly. This makes me a poor BEV or PHEV driver. I would be better if I commuted to a single site so I could charge 'at 'work', with 15 sites, that would be asking a lot from my clients. If I had a PHEV with a small range, charging at 110v for a couple hours might make sense, it would not make much of a dent in my theoretical Volt range.

When I bought a Gen 2 Prius, I wanted a larger Hybrid. I was hoping for a 2 mode Saturn Vue, a car that was never sold to consumers from a brand that no longer exists. I just barely fit in a Gen 2.
    [​IMG]

When a semi ran a red and removed the right front corner of my Gen 2, I wanted a car with more cargo room. I considered a Prius PHV, imported from California, but could not resist the Prius v. I just need the space. The Volt does not appear to have as much cargo room as the Gen 2, let alone the gen 3 and v.

Small SUVs with 280 mile range and 40+ MPG are rare, so the v is as large as I looked at. It gets about 5 MPG less than my Gen 2, perhaps 10 MPG less than a gen 3 and theoretically 20 MPG less than a Prius PHEV. But I would be squeezed in them, as I was in the Gen 2.

I have almost no 'hate' for the Volt as a car, although GM does everything in their power to make you hate their cars before they are ever sheetmetal. (Right now they are 'poisoning' public opinion about their Cadillac ELR, needlessly) It is just a car for moving 4 adults, while I want to move 2 adults at most, and lots of cargo.

EPA still not settled on MPG labels for plug-ins, Volt unlikely to get 230 mpg - Autoblog
    Cadillac vs Tesla . . . LOL! | PriusChat

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people just enjoy driving in greater comfort and style. :p

9. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps, until the Volt gets dropped, then greater comfort and style goes out the window.

DBCassidy