1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Amazing Story

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I came across this news story, and thought wow what a girl! Then I thought how would this story have ended if they wern't allowed to have a gun because a group of people thought banning guns would bring peace and stop the blood shed caused by the guns. Again then they would have to ban knives as they kill just as fast as a gun.

How do you think the story would have panned out?

Please keep in mind that a Home Invasion only takes 3.5 minutes from start to finnish, the police from phone call to arrival takes 17-20 minutes.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, one wonders how that poor girl will live the rest of her days always with the memory of having killed two people.

And one also wonders where they took the hand gun from? Was it from the dead hand of the owner after they stabbed him to death because he was trying to defend his stuff rather than let it go and let his insurance and the police deal with the loss?
    Are guns the answer or just another part of the problem?
    Countries with tighter gun control than the USA have less gun deaths and less murders.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita
    I'd rather have Australia, UK or Canada's rating than the USA's. USA has just under 3 times the rate of murders per capita than Australia, Canada and the UK, countries with similar cultures and political stability.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It might have been a somewhat interesting story if it really happened. Unfortunately, it's as much a piece of fiction as a GM Press release.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, thank you SteveO! I wouldnt have checked into the validation of the story as it looked like a real news peice...

How ever if it were me I would rather think of killing two people, then having the memory of being raped or killed or both and become another statistic... ;)

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow you mean righttards will print BS to further their gun rights and racists anti mexicans agenda? That's surprising.

6. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But as indicated in the other part of my post, remove the gun culture from the USA and you will likely see a reduction in gun crime in the order of 50 to 60% So the girl would have been at least 50% less likely to be placed in a position to have to choose. And where did the crims get their weapon? From another gun owner I suspect. The gun lobby need to employ story writers who arent gun nuts. This story does nothing to convince the non gun nut that guns are a good thing, it is preaching to the converted.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you said it pat... ALIVE!!!

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do not know, my plan was always to immediately get OUT of the house if i heard someone break in.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yet another obfuscation confusing BANNING and REGISTRATION.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In other words, even though it is all lies, invented to oppose gun laws and demonize undocumented immigrants, conservatives still consider it a useful and instructive story.

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Umm. Have you not been been living in the US for the last 7 years? Righttards love lying and being lied to as long as it reaffirms their prejudices and gives them the rationale to act on them.

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    One has to wonder if they've lied so much to themselves, they actually believe the BS they spew forth.:D

I'm with you, Pat... I'd rather live in a civilized country like Oz, the UK or one of the Scandinavian ones than in what is quickly becoming a not so civilized country here in the US.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Meanwhile, long before this FAKE story was re-populated here on FHOP, a Caucasian family in Montana (Kalispel, one of our home towns, to be exact) by the name of Earnst, went out of business (HUGE stand alone department store) when their son robbed many homes and KILLED one homeowner who came home at the wrong time. The family was disgraced and they spent virtually every cent they had defending the murderer, and his brother. The story made the news because the elder of the (2) criminal brothers (both involved) was in a wheelchair.

Imagine that, a person with U.S. citizenship robbing and killing and the like. The point of citizenship or the lack thereof? Errr, you tell me. Or maybe my Montana story means we ought to do something about all those crazy handicappers .

Not to say I favor illegal anything ... I just don't like to mix things up.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What part of "well regulated" do the gun nuts not understand?

15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regulation is the key not registration. A registered loaded unsecured and operational gun is just as deadly as an unregistered gun in the same state.
    A gun which is stored in a securely locked steel or solid hardwood cabinet which is firmly bolted to the floor or wall and the ammunition is stored in a separate locked cabinet in another room of the same building is far safer. Better again the gun firing mechanism is stored in another room again to the ammo and weapon.
    As there is no need for automatic or semi automatic weapons in recreational hunting there is no need to own one for that purpose, after all it only takes the sport from the sport. A hand gun has no place in the hands of a civilian unless that person is an active shooter in a pistol club or needs to carry a handgun for their employment ie. police and security operatives.
    It isn't a just reason to shoot another person that you are defending your stuff or the stuff of another person, and owning a gun for self defence is idiotic when criminals have easy access to firearms. An armed home invader is more likely to kill if he believes he may be killed, if however he knows he will not meet armed resistance he is more likely not to kill his victim. Remember the home invader is ready and has planned for a defencive action where as you are not normally aware of the invader until he is in your sight. An armed invader will most likely shoot if you go for a weapon.

If you have a loaded weapon within reach the chances are you have already increased the odds one of your family members will be shot, not by a criminal but by another family member or themselves. And while gun ownership is the norm a house breaker knows he needs a gun as a tool of trade, your home as a gun owner is a target due to weapons most likely being on premises when you and your family are not.

In the fake story of the 11 year old girl at home, did the 2 invaders break into the home looking for another gun? Did they not even know the house was occupied after seeing an adult drive away from the house and no other vehicles evident around the property? Although they were apparently shot dead the writer of the story some how knows they thought an 11 year old was no match for the 2 of them, I can only guess the little girl told them this being a mind reader as well as a top marksman.
    Had the girl not been in the house, chances are the criminals would have departed more heavily armed than when they arrived.

If this happened in Australia the girl may have been celebrated a hero but the owner of the gun, (a child can not own a gun) would have been convicted and sentenced to a gaol term for having a firearm and ammunition unsecured in the house. Fortunately it was just a fabrication.

My plan too, or hide. I don't risk my life when I pay for insurance.

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pat at least you have the right avatar :rolleyes:

Yes the story is fake, I did thank Stev0 for pointing that out.. Not being a literalist I didnt think of verifying the story as it looked official.

Pat~
    Yes the criminals did get their gun from a gun owner but they stabbed him to death with a knife first.. Now your going to have to register knives?

They are concidered more deadly,easier to conceal and obtain, than a gun in certain circles, and much quieter to use too.

Picture this; Mr. Badguy has a knife, a policeman responds to a suspicious person call. The policeman see's Mr. Badguy and calls out to him to come over to the policeman.

Mr. Badguy then starts walking towards the policeman, at precisly 21 ft away Mr. Badguy pulls out a knife. Mr. Badguy will beable to stab and possibly kill Mr. policeman before he can unholster his gun..:eek:

In the academy they teach us to run the other way, until we can unholster our weapon before turning to confront or fire upon the knife wielding Mr.Badguy.

So in reality Knives would be the bigger threat, but thats just not as news worthy as gun play. I guess no one has taken the time to see how many people have been killed by a knife.....:rolleyes:

PS. May you all have a safe & happy New Year!

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A victim of a knife attack is far more likely to survive than the victim of a shooting.

And as Pat points out, a gun which is ready to hand and loaded (the only way you can hope to use it to defend against a burglar) is more likely to end up being used by a member of the family against another member of the family in a moment of rage.

And as Pat also points out, a homeowner who does not resist is far less likely to be shot than one who does.

Conservatives love to tout out the cases where an armed homeowner kills a burglar. But they are dishonestly silent about the cases where that homeowner, in a moment of rage, killed his wife with that gun, or where a homeowner drew a gun and was killed by the burglar.

Most murder victims knew their attacker.

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nevermind that the story is made up for a second.

So what? Here's one example of someone having a gun stopping an attacker. There are so many other stories of horrible tragedies that happen because guns are so easy to get in the US (not to mention all of the crimes that are made easier because of guns). If you really want to have a true debate about guns, you need to consider the statistical toll that guns take vs. the lives they save.

I'm sure that, with a little searching, I could find some fantastical (and perhaps true, even!) story about someone not wearing their seatbelt, being in a car accident and being thrown clear to safety. I could then post that story on here and say, "See! You're crazy to wear a seatbelt! Imagine if that person had been wearing a seatbelt!" Of course, we all know that, statistically, you're way better off wearing a seatbelt, but there are so many freak things that happen every day that it's easy to come up with single examples that advance the point you're trying to make.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly!

But give them a true story about a guy who walked from town to town, taught peace, loving one's neighbors, forgiving sins, heeling the sick and feeding the homeless and they can't seem to figure out those underlying values.

Maybe if Jesus had guns. . .

20. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Amen!

This thread is such a beautiful demonstration of how prejudice is more persuasive than reality. We would be so much better off if we formed our point of view rationally rather than on a distorted view of reality.

Allan