1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. FnRedPrius

FnRedPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anybody considered the Amazon oils? I started to post this in the Mobil One thread, but that one was already muddy enough.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There was someone on a budget that has been using SuperTech oil from Walmart, as well as extending the drain interval I believe. (I’m sorry I forget which forum I saw this on). He also shared he has been happy with the results, both in vehicle reliability, AND in the savings he somewhat slowly accumulated. (I think it was somewhere on the order of $75/year). In form 0W-20 Amazon oil is listed as ILSAC GF-5. Since Toyota so far as I know recommends ILSAC (non specified which specific rating) rated oil I don’t see any worry in using it.

I’m personally sticking with Mobil 1 for now though....

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Made by Warren Distribution, same as SuperTech and many other store-brand oils. It is fine, but usually overpriced.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just buy (bulk) Toyota oil from my local dealership, quite cheap. I'm there anyway getting an oil filter and drain bolt washer. The OW20 synth for our Prius (and our son's Mazda CX-5) has bumped up a bit in price: $4.90 (CDN) per liter now. The 5W20 conventional for our daughter's Pilot they practically give away: maybe inexperienced service writer last time, it was $2.33 per liter, lol.

I bring a 10 liter gas cannister, get what I need. No bottles to recycle, either. I suspect I'm their only customer doing this, but yeah: would be nice if it caught on. I appreciate they're accomodating me with this, it's Open Road Port Moody.

All the engine oil empties are a headache for recyclers, and I think a lot end up in landfills.